General Discussion Race Reports! » Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Gordon, Georgia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 1h 15m 6s
Overall Rank = 34/167
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/40
Pre-race routine:

On January 17th I underwent emergency gastro-intestinal surgery to fix a perforated ulcer sustained due to dehydration during a 50k running race. Needless to say, this being the first tri of the year, and only 10 weeks after surgery, I did not know what to expect going into this race.

I had been back to training for about 7 weeks, I had to ease back into training. I did a 5k two weeks ago, and although it wasn't my best time, it wasn't terrible either. I felt good doing short stuff, so I knew I'd be fine doing a sprint tri, but I was still extremely nervous.

Friday morning my husband and I made a last-minute decision to stay in the race area overnight, its roughly a 2.5 hour drive from us. Staying in a hotel, and a 10 a.m. start time for the race meant I'd get plenty of sleep. Fortunately I have a wonderful best friend who was willing to watch our kids overnight to allow us to do this. In addition to that, the race was taking place on an Army installation, and since the hubby is active duty Army, we were able to stay in a hotel on the Army installation, literally a mile from the race site.
Event warmup:

Woke up a 7 a.m. for the race, which felt so odd. With the late start we were able to get the free breakfast at the hotel. Went to the race site, picked up my packet and set up transition, I was getting really nervous now. Leading up to the race I ran in to many people I knew, and since they all knew what had happened, I got lots of hugs and welcome backs. My hubby wasn't racing today, he was there to support me. He was keeping me calm up to the start, I was in freak out mode. Today felt just like my first tri in 2010.

Kissed the hubby for good luck and joined the swim start line. Here goes nothing
Swim
  • 07m 33s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim started in the deep end of the pool, they were letting us dive in so I took advantage. Dove in with a few dolphin kicks and started swimming. Went at my normal pool pace. Swim went good with no contact from others. Time includes climb out of pool and run to T1
What would you do differently?:

Go faster
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Where my bike was rack was somewhat far from the T1, so I was happy that it was only a minute

Nothing
Bike
  • 39m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was hilly-er than I was anticipating. there were about 4 substantial climbs (for me, living in a flat area). Down in my aerobar I saw the large purple and yellow bruise on my left forearm, from an I.V., reminding me that just 48 hour prior, I had been sedated undergoing an endoscopy to make sure my perforated ulcer repair was 100 percent (which it was). Climbing wise I'm out of shape, but other than that it was a good bike for me and happy with how I did

Looking back, I should have shifted to the small ring on 2 of the hills
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I was planning on running in my Newton Gravity III's so had to take the time to put socks on

Nothing, happy with this time considering I had to put sock on
Run
  • 25m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

It had rained the day prior, so the first 2 miles of the run course was mud. It was slowing me down a lot, but I noticed everyone else was having a hard time with it. Shortly after mile 2 the course hit a section of deep sand and I was struggling with it. When I was running in the sand I knew my run time wasn't going to be very good, but once again, everyone else had to run through it. The finish line came into view and I couldn't stop smiling, I was so happy to be "back" and I felt great, and at that moment I knew it only gets better from here.

Nothing really, can't control the weather and the rain the day prior caused the run course to be muddy
Post race
Warm down:

Big hugs and kisses from hubby, it was such a wonderful moment to share with him. Drank a protein shake and ate some pizza. Found some friends and chatted until the awards ceremony. Found out I placed 3rd female overall. Received a large custom etched beer mug for a award along with a goody bag that included gourmet chocolate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously having surgery 10 weeks ago as well as having an endoscopy 48 hours prior

Event comments:

Setup's Georgia Triathlon Series has come a long way, this event was top notch, I had a wonderful time

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:33 | 300 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/40
Overall: 97/167
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool, down one lane, under rope, swim to opposite side
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:58 | 12 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/40
Overall: 32/167
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lollipop with an out and back
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/40
Overall: 46/167
Performance: Average
Course: Loop on a track with mud, dirt, and sand
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-31 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 992 Posts: 1

2014-03-30 11:04 PM LukeBoswell

Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon

Started by CU Chanko
Views: 873 Posts: 1

2014-03-30 8:33 AM CU Chanko

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Sprint Course

Started by BloomingRunner
Views: 1247 Posts: 2

2012-08-29 1:59 PM BikerGrrrl

Dare To Tri Maple Grove Triathlon

Started by rosieturner12
Views: 989 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 4:05 PM rosieturner12

Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri

Started by ayeong
Views: 1619 Posts: 10

2006-05-19 6:43 PM ayeong
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.