General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New heart valve..how long before you got going again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: New heart valve..how long before you got going again
Had a mechanical mitral valve fitted about 11 months ago. I tore the strings on the old one amongst other things. To cut a long story short, just been back to the cardio and the man is happy with me, BP is fine, resting HR is 58 no arrhythmia. I been on my bike quite a bit and I can see the improvement month by month but I am still not quite where I want to be.
Anyone here had some similar spare parts fitted and just how long before you could get going properly again. (I understand there is no ways I will be what I was before I just miss the sport , the friendships and the none stop banter on those long bike rides)

2014-04-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: kocourek

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: New heart valve..how long before you got going again

Glad you're getting better.  Thanks for the update.

It took me around 9-12 months before I felt 100% again after my surgery.   Although I had been doing a lot of walking and light circuit workouts at the gym starting at about 3 months post-op, I had virtually no stamina for a long time.  Took a lot of naps that first year.

After 12 months I started some easy jogging, maybe a mile or so at a time.  I remember the first time I tried going two miles I felt like I was running a marathon.  

I didn't have any previous background in endurance sports prior to my valve replacement, so was starting from scratch with nothing to compare against and no expectations. 

The only conditions my cardiologist put on me was to wear a heart rate monitor and keep my HR in zones 2 & 3 during training.

Best advice I can offer is to be consistent with whatever you do.  Listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Good luck with your training.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New heart valve..how long before you got going again Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it

Started by kocourek
Views: 1944 Posts: 4

2014-01-21 4:11 PM kocourek

What's the longest you've gone without _____?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2082 Posts: 14

2010-03-18 5:41 PM ras26

Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story)

Started by SarahBeth
Views: 1719 Posts: 5

2010-02-05 10:55 AM SarahBeth

Little toe getting squashed on long runs

Started by Gerrard
Views: 5742 Posts: 3

2008-07-17 10:41 AM TriAya

Leaky heart valves

Started by mman
Views: 1792 Posts: 8

2007-06-23 6:05 AM RedCorvette
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
It's been seven months since my spare part list got longer with a new prolapsed mitral heart valve. How does this affect your times and training? I just want to compete for the fun and enjoyment.

date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : November 19, 2006
comments : 0
Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.

date : May 1, 2006
comments : 0
Is training heart rate impacted by mitral valve prolapse and if so, how do you adjust accordingly.