General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taper madness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-21 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: taper madness
Last week of taper before my first 50mi ultra - This is the worst case of taper madness I've ever had. Everything suddenly hurts. I did manage to injure myself about 5 weeks ago and I'm pretty certain it has healed, but I feel like I'm living that classic "doctor it hurts when I do this" skit.

2014-04-21 5:24 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: taper madness
Assuming two things: a) you've put in the miles, and b) your race is this coming weekend...

a) Trust your training. Have the confidence that you are ready and have done all you can; it is too late now to second-guess or change anything. Scan back through your logs to see that you really did put in all those miles. That visual helps bolster that confidence.

b) Take this week easy and go into race weekend rested and loose. A couple of short, easy runs, and lots of stretching. You are not going to gain any meaningful fitness during race week. Eat and drink just like you did during training, nothing radical or new.

Unless you really are injured, you probably are not really injured.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taper madness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Taper Tips

Started by dewybuck
Views: 871 Posts: 6

2013-03-11 1:01 PM dewybuck

to taper or not?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1228 Posts: 6

2012-09-06 12:02 PM Jungle Jenn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 3, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will have more energy during your rest or taper period. Don't be tempted to use it! Save it for your event and you will be glad you did.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.