General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kid's Downhill MTB...please advise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-13 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: Kid's Downhill MTB...please advise
Hi,

I'm planning a father/son trip to CO this summer. Is there a ski resort that offers a MTB excursion type thing (take you up the mountain, give you a bike and a gentle shove in the direction of Blues or Greens then you turn in the bike at the bottom)?

I've googled and I'm not sure that what I'm finding would work. I haven't been training and my son is just an average biker. We're not looking for a workout, just an easy cruise with good scenery.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Joe

2014-05-14 8:05 AM
in reply to: run joe run

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Kid's Downhill MTB...please advise

Most of the biking from the top of the mountain down, is down the snow catwalk trails.  Not super technical and a lot of fun.  You can rent bikes and it is a good time, with beautiful views.  How old is your son?  My daughter is 7 and I would not take her up there yet, still a few more years before I think she'd be ready for anything like that.  Also, in Breckenridge, you can rent bikes and they have great road and mountain bike trails in the area.  So lots of options.

Good luck and have fun.

2014-05-16 4:00 PM
in reply to: run joe run

User image

Most of the major (Vail, Aspen, etc) ski areas will have just what you are looking for. I am most familiar with the system at Snowmass. You ride up the 6 person chair and there is a wide variety of trail options. Everything from a NORBA downhill course to gentle trails. If you have already decided where you will be staying, look at the resort's website under summer activities.

2014-05-25 10:59 PM
in reply to: #4995811

User image

All of the resorts rent bikes, or close by. You don't have to be an adrenaline junky to enjoy CO downhill, but the more fitness and bike handling skills you have, the more fun you will have.

Breckinridge would be a good option for many levels. Plenty of variety on the trails for the beginner - intermediate level rider. The base area is a bit crowded, but that's the worst part.
Vail - good, not great. Crowded. Cool fern area in the forest on some trails, unusual vegetation in CO
Winter park - good variety for different levels, ranging from cruisers to downhill race course. It's worth the time if you stay in that area.
Keystone - very rocky, even the easy green trails. If you want crazy fast rocky, rooty, jumpy trails, this is the place.

Have fun!
2014-06-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: chrisco1000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have you looked at Granby Ranch- smaller mountain down the road from Winter Park with a lot of biking in the summer. Devil's Thumb Ranch and the Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA down the street both have non lift served biking and the Trestle Bike Park at Winter Park is right down the street.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kid's Downhill MTB...please advise Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MTB trails

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1290 Posts: 10

2013-03-15 5:55 PM FF Stock

Kid's Races?

Started by indianhillsted
Views: 1313 Posts: 8

2012-07-11 1:58 PM moneyman

FS- 2009 Scott Contessa Genius MTB

Started by trixie
Views: 2306 Posts: 7

2009-11-10 2:10 PM trixie

Weekend MTB ride

Started by regimom
Views: 964 Posts: 9

2008-03-28 5:06 PM Z-dog

Kids tri coach needed.

Started by markdills38
Views: 744 Posts: 3

2008-03-07 5:14 PM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.

date : December 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
comments : 0
In this segment, Coach Al speaks of three daily running objectives. Included are videos of various warmup exercises to increase your hip mobility.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.