General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navesink AKA Nav-e-sink or Swim 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-14 12:02 PM

User image

Subject: Navesink AKA Nav-e-sink or Swim 2014
I'm committed to the 2.4 mile event on May 25th. Anyone know how to find the water temperature? I only have a sleeveless wetsuit. Not sure If I'll need to rent something with long sleeves.

Also would love any thoughts or tips from anyone whose raced it before. Like - parking, accessamenitieses at the place etc.

Their website leaves me with some open questions. http://www.splitsecondracing.net/NSS/

Thanks

2014-05-15 4:11 PM
in reply to: dswezey

User image

Subject: RE: Navesink AKA Nav-e-sink or Swim 2014
Not doing it but looking for places to rent a wet suit in central jersey- Thinking I want to rent one for Asbury park Tri in August- will be my first Ocean event.
2014-05-15 7:40 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Have done it several times and used both sleeveless and full suit. Not sure about the water temps right now but I've never been hot in a full. I'm also out there a while though.  The 2.4 is a double loop and they'll have water at the exit/entry. It's pretty casual. Long sleeve t-shirts if I remember correctly. Two years ago "bag check" was just leave your stuff somewhere that you can remember to look for it when you're done. Didn't swim it last year. There are decent bathrooms. We've always just street parked and never had a problem but carpooling is a good idea if you know others that are going. Don't remember much about post race amenities. We usually just head out and find a diner for b'fast. Have fun!

2014-05-16 9:22 AM

User image

New user
I did it last year without a wetsuit, and it was actually the perfect temperature. However, this year the water might be a bit colder, though I remember having a fairly cold spring last year as well.

It is all street parking, and there is enough for everyone. My wife came to watch the race, but couldn't come until after things started, and was still able to find a place to park.

It is a two loop course with four short running sections. Half way into the loop you hit a sandbar that has the turn buoy, which you have to run around and jump back into the water, it's weird. Then when you are done with the first loop you have to run on the beach, through a gate, and back into the water. The finish is not in the water, it's on land, so you have to run that as well. The men's 2.4 mile winner was decided on the run last year, I was told it was exciting, I was still in the water at the time.

Have fun, they have sandwiches afterwards, but if you want breakfast food I'd recommend this place:

http://www.edieslunch.com/

2014-05-20 11:48 AM

User image

New user
I'm signed up for the 2.4 swim as well! I did the race in 2011 and there was plenty of on street parking. I don't know about water temp but I'll be wearing a full sleeve. Does anyone know any good bike rides from the swim site? I think I'll try and get my 2- 2 1/2 hour ride done down there.
2014-05-20 9:16 PM

User image

I did the red bank tri last sunday...water was in 60-62...swam in a full and was comfortable...there were plenty in sleeveless and a cpl swimming with none but this was also sprint and ply only...weather should be good and warm up some more this week...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navesink AKA Nav-e-sink or Swim 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Navesink or Swim

Started by Fechter99
Views: 2319 Posts: 6

2013-06-01 1:46 PM blangslang

NAV-E-SINK OR SWIM : Official Thread

Started by fontaic
Views: 1610 Posts: 3

2010-05-07 5:42 PM reneej

nava sink or swim

Started by kristinc0916
Views: 1549 Posts: 7

2009-06-09 10:51 AM bobwitanek

Sandyhookers Open Swims - Navesink

Started by bobwitanek
Views: 1012 Posts: 1

2008-05-13 5:23 PM bobwitanek

June 1 NaveSink or Swim, 1.2 / 2.4 Distance Swim Opp

Started by bobwitanek
Views: 6251 Posts: 6

2009-11-18 12:43 PM avasta
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I have been swimming for ten months and it has been quite a challenge. I'm sure you have heard this before but I am a sinker.

date : January 28, 2010
comments : 0
Discussions on getting below 1:15 swim pace, how to get faster as a new swimmer, benefit of a wetsuit and sinking hips.
date : February 18, 2008
Discussions on a sinking swimmer, fear of water, going from 1:30 to 1:15, are fins helpful or hurtful, open water swimming tips and breathing and efficiency.

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : September 25, 2007
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : January 1, 2007
comments : 1
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.