General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extensive labral tear - alternative workouts for IM training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-15 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Extensive labral tear - alternative workouts for IM training?
I have an extensive labral tear involving the left posterior superior labrum, anterior superior labrum, extending into the anterior-inferior labrum. The
biceps anchor is partially torn as well. This isn't my first labral tear. I had a SLAP lesion in my right shoulder (2x) and a bankart teart - three times were repaired via surgery with one being an open repair. Not sure how the left tear occurred, may have happened a couple months ago when I was lifting weights. I'm pretty athletic with a long history of sports, working out, etc.

I was training for NAPA HITS full ironman in April when the precipitating accident occurred. I continued to train after and completed the ironman (which I came first my age group!). That was may practice ironman with IM Lake Tahoe as my A race. If it were anyone else, my doctor would recommend surgery sooner than later. However, because of my level of fitness and my goal to complete IMLT, he said I can use pain as my guide to determine when to have surgery. If all goes to plan, I can have surgery after IMLT.

The caveats: the tear can worsen or my bicep tendon tears more and detaches. If that were the case, I can have surgery sooner than later.

I've dealt with a similar injury to my right shoulder, but I was not training for an ironman. After the weight lifting incident, I stopped swimming. I didn't swim for over two months and then swam for 2 weeks before HITS Napa to make sure I don't drown. I had to compensate for my left stroke however.

My plan is to keep biking and running, minimize any over head movements and heavy lifting. Then, as I did before, try to incorporate swim at least 3 to 4 weeks before the race.

Thoughts?

2014-05-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: RE: Extensive labral tear - alternative workouts for IM training?

I can only say proceed with extreme caution.  I wouldn't the swim at all if I were in your shoes. Just be careful. Your health should come first.

ETA: I take care of a lot of post op ortho patients. You can make your recovery longer and sometimes even more painful by continuing to exercise with an injury.

Edited by DigitalRain 2014-05-16 2:55 PM
2014-05-16 2:55 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

alternative workouts include: not working out, postponing your ironman, and enjoying some other hobby. It ain't worth it bud.

2014-05-16 3:05 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Regular
not sure there is a question in here. You make it clear you have a high tolerance for pain and have completed many IM's. Do what your body tells you, but I think its telling you to find a new hobby.....
2014-05-16 5:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
My seems to feels that I can wait. This doc is a new orthopedist, not my regular one. I am considering the alternative of postponing the IM for next year. It's frustrating as I was hit by a car in early in 2011 and took me out of that season. It wasn't until 2013 that I felt I was near my preaccident fitness. I've been slow and progressive improving since. Now, this happens.

I'm hoping to see my regular doctor and get his opinion.

I've started working with a PT to help strengthen and stabilize my shoulder in the interim.

Edited by drgary 2014-05-16 5:10 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extensive labral tear - alternative workouts for IM training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

hip labral tear - Northern VA/DC area

Started by labgeek
Views: 701 Posts: 2

2014-04-26 9:49 AM mcmric

Alternative IM training plans

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1009 Posts: 10

2011-10-05 3:36 PM BigDH

Hip Labral Tear

Started by suzimmer
Views: 17294 Posts: 20

2014-03-20 10:39 AM paigeaz

Hip Labral Tear - Cortisone injection required before surgery?

Started by snl_323
Views: 25974 Posts: 14

2010-04-15 8:14 AM snl_323

Labral Tear (hip): ?? for those who've had surgery

Started by mmrocker13
Views: 1085 Posts: 5

2014-01-10 9:03 AM mmrocker13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 8, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A few weeks ago I tore the MCL and ACL in my right knee and the LCL in my left knee in an accident. Can I returned to triathlon? What would that entail?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : April 11, 2007
comments : 0
The common conditions seen would be: a femoral neck stress fracture, a hip flexor tendonitis, or a hip joint cartilage problem such as a labral tear or arthritis of the hip joint.

date : October 1, 2006
comments : 0
Tendonitis can often be treated effectively through a variety of means including therapeutic exercise, medications, modalities, taping, and, most importantly, activity modification.