General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 nutrition race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-20 4:47 AM

Subject: 70.3 nutrition race day
I am doing my first 70.3 in 6 months, how many of what (gels,bars,drinks) is a minimum to take on my journey?

2014-05-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: 70.3 nutrition race day

Nutrition is a very personnel thing which only you can answer through trial and error.  There is a lot of information out there and I'm sure others will provide general caloric guidelines.  That is a great place to start but you should be incorporating nutrition into your longer workouts to hone in on what your body is tolerant of.  People are very different as to what and how much they can consume on both the ride and run.

For me, I target about 250 calories an hour and I keep it very simple.  I use 5 ounce gel flasks mixed with four parts gel and one part water to make them easier to squeeze out.  Each ounce is about 100 calories so with carrying two flasks in my rear pockets I have about 800 calories for a three hour ride.  I stick mostly to water on the bike as I tend to get a little burpier on the bike than I do on the run.

For the run, I just carry one flask and will supplement with more sport drink and water at the aid stations.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 nutrition race day Rss Feed