General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to wait Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-27 3:55 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: How long to wait
Good morning all, I am looking to the future.
I was wondering about how long I should wait before thinking about a full on ironman.
Should I finish this year add a 70.3 next year then go for it in 2016 ???
I have only just started triathlons, how much training is the usual amount for a full ironman

all advice please

Edited by Jynxy 2014-05-27 3:57 AM

2014-05-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: How long to wait
I think that it depends on the individual. Do you have an endurance background in one of the three sports (S,B, R)? Do you have the discipline and time to train for a longer race?

I am currently in my fourth year doing Tris and will be doing my first IM in Boulder this August. Some people take longer, but I have also seen some people do an IM in their first year doing Tris.

I come from a running background and had done several marathons before doing Tris, I did one Sprint tri my first year, two sprints and two olympics in my second year, one olympic and a HIM last year. This year I am doing a HIM in June then the IM in August.
2014-05-27 11:35 AM

User image

Utah
I have been running/doing triathlon for 5 years now and just barely signed up for my first IM, which will be next May. I feel that prior to now would have been to soon. Who am I kidding, I am still wondering if I jumped the gun too soon! But like others have said, it is a personal decision.
2014-05-27 1:54 PM

There's no right answer to that question. I completed an IM in my 3rd triathlon season, and that was only my 7th triathlon race in all. Others will 'wait' much longer.

Here's a few things to consider when making a decision: do you have enough time to train with all your other commitments? An IM will take a solid 9 months of training - can you do that today, or next year? If you have a family, are they ok with how your training will impact things? do you have sufficient money for doing a IM? (the race itself has a cost, but there are other things like a coach, if you have one, pool membership, cost of a wet suit, bike/bike maintenance, nutrition products, travel to and lodging at the race, etc...) I presume you're looking at IMUK, right? Does a late July race fit with your calendar? (BTW, if you're a football fan, isn't the next Euro tournament in summer 2016, so if you're going to be focused on football that summer, perhaps 2016 isn't the year for you...just a thought.) Also, if you're planning for a 70.3 next year and are training hard for that race, why not register for an IM for 2-3 months afterwards, so you an take advantage of your 70.3 fitness. How old are you (none of us are getting any younger)? Do you want to race an IM to win a Kona spot? What kind of athlete are you? How your fitness? What distance races have you done so far, and how have they gone?

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things to think about, but perhaps start with these.

Good luck.
2014-05-27 11:32 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Depends on how you feel and how much time you're willing to spend. ~5 years ago I couldn't run a mile strait (computer science major....so yeah....). 4 years ago I signed up for my first race (full marathon). 2 years ago I didn't know how to swim and didn't own a bike. I learned to not drown and bought a bike and then did my first sprint triathlon 2 years ago. I did my first HIM and IM last year. I put the time into it though and built up my endurance. IM is all about putting in the time and figuring out/experimenting with what works for you for nutrition. I had no plans to do an IM. I really just wanted to do a HIM but after I saw that IM training was "only" a few hours more a week, I figured why not just take the plunge
2014-05-28 6:16 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
I agree with the other posts. I does depend on you. In some ways it also depends on your goals. Doing an IM the first year might be great for you and very doable. Just depends on your fitness level and background as others have said. The part about training also depends on your goals. Most people gave up a couple days a week for long rides and runs, like a 5 or 6 hour ride to a small run, then the next day a long run. Put that with a few swims and other things in the week you are looking at 15 to 20 hours a week or more depending on your goals. For me, I went into tri's knowing I wanted to do an IM. The first year I picked a 70.3 that was far out and gave me a lot of time to get ready. Once I completed it I picked an IM for the next season and have not looked back. Good luck!!

2014-05-28 11:39 PM

User image

2 years ago I couldn't run more than 100 meters, I rarely cycled, didn't own a road bike (in fact had never owned one), had never swam 100 meters, had never had a swimming lesson, was never athletic at all, never played any sports...1 year ago in April I ran my first race ever, a 10k road race (in 44:02). 2 weeks after that I ran in my first marathon (in 3:40:42). 4 months after that I competed in my first triathlon (Olympic distance in 2:42:19). Now in less than 2 months (less than 11 months after my first and only triathlon and only 15 months after my first race ever), I am doing Ironman Canada.So basically what I am saying is: If you enjoy it enough and are committed enough to put in consistent 15+ hours of training week after week, month after month, then you can go from couch to ironman in 1 year. ... But that being said you will most likely do better and enjoy it more if you take a few years and work your way up to full ironman distance.
2014-05-29 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jynxy

Good morning all, I am looking to the future.
I was wondering about how long I should wait before thinking about a full on ironman.
Should I finish this year add a 70.3 next year then go for it in 2016 ???
I have only just started triathlons, how much training is the usual amount for a full ironman

all advice please

All preferential. I know people who sign up for IM having never done an OWS or even triathlon. heck they don't even know how to swim

I urge people to develop in the sport and then do IM

If you want Kona, push IM off and develop a solid base/engine
2014-05-29 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Depends on you. I signed up for IMFL 5 months after starting the sport. Since you have to sign up a year in advance I was able to knock out a 70.3 in route. I trained hard and had a great race with very little experience. Years later and 9 total IMs completed I'm still trying to replicate the success I had in my first.

Good luck.
2014-05-29 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Depends on you. I signed up for IMFL 5 months after starting the sport. Since you have to sign up a year in advance I was able to knock out a 70.3 in route. I trained hard and had a great race with very little experience. Years later and 9 total IMs completed I'm still trying to replicate the success I had in my first.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to wait Rss Feed