General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Talk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-02 12:34 PM

Subject: Saddle Talk
Hello everyone! After a relatively long hiatus, I have jumped back into training.

I'm looking for some guidance and opinion regarding saddles.

Here's my setup:

Giant TCR Advanced with Profile T2 clip-ons. Currently running a Specialized Tritip.

I am just over 200lbs at the moment, but am dropping weight/slimming pretty quickly. I am a broad build, so that should tell you something. Years ago, when I was hovering around 10% body fat, I still weighed 185 or so. So maybe that gives you a mental picture...or just way too much information.

The bike is set up for riding predominantly in aero at the moment, but I have done some long road rides in the past.

Experiencing a little numbness and discomfort at this point and starting to think about my options down the road. I have a goal of doing a 70.3 next June, so those long rides are in the back of my mind.

I'm thinking about three saddles currently, but am certainly open to other ideas....

Cobb Vflow Plus (same as my wife, she's been very happy with it)
Cobb JOF
ISM Prologue

These three have peaked my interest. Mostly I want something that could be an "all day in aero" type ride, but with some flexibility to do a road ride in an upright position....

Anyone have a great deal of experience with these? Other suggestions? Am I going to have to get over it and just run different saddles for different things?

2014-06-02 4:20 PM
in reply to: LBKTri

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
Subject: RE: Saddle Talk
see if your shop has demo saddles. I had an ISM breakaway but moved to an attack (a bit narrower) and have found it works great for me. Try to be brand agnostic and go with what feels best.

2014-06-02 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
There are a couple things at play.
1.) your body has to acclimate to cycling again.
2.) as you lose more weight, the saddle will begin to feel different.

What feels comfortable now may not necessarily feel comfortable after you have logged more miles and slimmed down to your race weight. Saddle comfort is an individual preference despite high quality design features and manufacturing.
2014-06-08 8:32 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I love my Prologue. It takes some getting used to. At first I wasn't crazy about it but now I really like it.
2014-06-09 6:44 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Two important points, the saddle is probably the most personal equipment on the entire bike, what works for someone else (even if exactly your weight, build, etc. etc. etc) may not work for you; there's no easy way around it but to try out different saddles. Second, most saddle issues are actually fit issues. Have you had a good bike fit? If not, start with that or you will chase the "perfect saddle" for a VERY long time and spend LOTS in the process.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Talk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ISM Saddles Adamo saddles

Started by louamerica
Views: 1448 Posts: 6

2013-11-12 4:20 PM swimbikejog

ISM Racing Saddle vs. ISM Road Saddle

Started by living2tri
Views: 3567 Posts: 4

2011-01-19 2:26 PM living2tri

Tri saddle or road saddle?

Started by MLJ
Views: 843 Posts: 2

2008-02-02 11:44 PM tkbslc

Cannondale Multisport 2000 - talk me out of buyers remorse

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 6633 Posts: 10

2014-07-04 4:24 PM meepx2

Treadmill Talk

Started by 3558
Views: 1282 Posts: 9

2005-01-28 8:33 AM jcaptain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : October 8, 2008
Is it more important to be as steep as you can go and uncomfortable, or be in a more comfortable position and sacrifice some aerodynamics?
date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.