General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Wisconsin - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-05 10:04 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: Rev3 Wisconsin - Half Rev : Official Thread
Morning! Thought I would start this since it will be our first time doing the half with REV3. Just curious to know what to expect on the bike. We know it's hilly, but wanted to know about aid stations and if there are volunteers/officials at the turns?

Thanks,
Cyndi

2014-06-05 7:37 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Subject: RE: Rev3 Wisconsin - Half Rev : Official Thread
This will be my first REV3 race as well. Those hills look challenging for sure, quite the profile!

Interested to see what folks say.
2014-06-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I got out on the course last week and it is tough. Five rated climbs with three very tough climbs. I actually thought the final climb was the toughest just because of how steep it is. Compared to IMWI - I actually thought this was a little tougher - but then again I am not in IM shape so we will see. Only advice would be take it easy on the bike course and save some for the hilly run. I believe there are three aid stations on the bike course. I am looking forward to the race as it will definitely be challenging!

Edited by tmoran80 2014-06-08 6:53 PM
2014-06-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

Master
Northern IL

Looks like they have the same bike course again this year. Should be a good challenge. The 3 big climbs were the hardest parts, but in between is not flat and have to watch yourself there. Lots of smaller hills where it's easy to press too much and drain more than you think. The 3 big ones being coming out of Baraboo, Bluff/Tower Rd, and Beich. Baraboo is leaving town, so you get a little break in there. Turn the corner and up it goes. Bluff road is the big one. Nice that there was a gigantic sign that says Devilshead at the start of it. It ranges from steep to false flat a lot, not a steady climb at all though it does keep going up. So if you're expecting steep you get some breaks with the more mild sections to help recover on. It does tend to get easier as you go up. Beich is deceptive. It didn't look that bad coming into it. You see it going across your view as you approach and it keep going on some after it disappears on the left side, going around the mound. I think people near me didn't quite know what to expect and pushed too much in the early parts of it. There is no recovery until you get over it, so they put themselves in a hole early on. That always makes things extra hard. Similar on Tower, some people tried surging to keep up with me. Know your limits and keep within them or you will pay for it.

Not familiar with the run as they changed it since I was there, but would not expect it to be flat.

2014-06-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

New user
Kenosha
WOW! Some great information. We are also doing IMMOO this year, so sounds like it will be a good prep for that. Did the Verona loop a couple of weeks ago and continue to work the hills in the Lake Geneva area. This sounds like it will be a good challenge and the same rule applies here as in IMMOO....spin, don't grind up those hills. And bring a big bucket of patience.

Thank you all for the great information. Looking forward to this race....just to get some race-time in.

Cyndi
2014-06-10 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Looks like they have the same bike course again this year. Should be a good challenge. The 3 big climbs were the hardest parts, but in between is not flat and have to watch yourself there. Lots of smaller hills where it's easy to press too much and drain more than you think. The 3 big ones being coming out of Baraboo, Bluff/Tower Rd, and Beich. Baraboo is leaving town, so you get a little break in there. Turn the corner and up it goes. Bluff road is the big one. Nice that there was a gigantic sign that says Devilshead at the start of it. It ranges from steep to false flat a lot, not a steady climb at all though it does keep going up. So if you're expecting steep you get some breaks with the more mild sections to help recover on. It does tend to get easier as you go up. Beich is deceptive. It didn't look that bad coming into it. You see it going across your view as you approach and it keep going on some after it disappears on the left side, going around the mound. I think people near me didn't quite know what to expect and pushed too much in the early parts of it. There is no recovery until you get over it, so they put themselves in a hole early on. That always makes things extra hard. Similar on Tower, some people tried surging to keep up with me. Know your limits and keep within them or you will pay for it.

Not familiar with the run as they changed it since I was there, but would not expect it to be flat.

The run is anything but flat.

2014-06-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very Hard Bike course make sure to practice your down hill riding one very scary down hill. Run course is bad but managable. this is not a pr course
2014-06-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cynner WOW! Some great information. We are also doing IMMOO this year, so sounds like it will be a good prep for that. Did the Verona loop a couple of weeks ago and continue to work the hills in the Lake Geneva area. This sounds like it will be a good challenge and the same rule applies here as in IMMOO....spin, don't grind up those hills. And bring a big bucket of patience. Thank you all for the great information. Looking forward to this race....just to get some race-time in. Cyndi

Riding those two areas should help over doing Kenosha, at least with what I'm familiar with. Think the course can be harder still. Curious where exactly you went around Lake Geneva?

Hadn't addressed some other questions from the first post either. I don't really use aid stations as I only need 2 bottles and a few gels out for a half, but did remember that they had several out there. Rev3 has been good with these in my experience. I think they had the turns taken care of too, but I had done the route several times and had the map up so didn't need it as much.

Edited by brigby1 2014-06-11 7:49 AM
2014-06-16 1:02 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cynner WOW! Some great information. We are also doing IMMOO this year, so sounds like it will be a good prep for that. Did the Verona loop a couple of weeks ago and continue to work the hills in the Lake Geneva area. This sounds like it will be a good challenge and the same rule applies here as in IMMOO....spin, don't grind up those hills. And bring a big bucket of patience. Thank you all for the great information. Looking forward to this race....just to get some race-time in. Cyndi

Riding those two areas should help over doing Kenosha, at least with what I'm familiar with. Think the course can be harder still. Curious where exactly you went around Lake Geneva?

Hadn't addressed some other questions from the first post either. I don't really use aid stations as I only need 2 bottles and a few gels out for a half, but did remember that they had several out there. Rev3 has been good with these in my experience. I think they had the turns taken care of too, but I had done the route several times and had the map up so didn't need it as much.

We ride in Lyons/Lake Geneva on the Rustic roads. There's a couple of challenging hills, specifically, Knob and South Roads. South Rd going north out of Lyons is a nice steady climb. Knob Rd has a series of hill, flat, hill segments that run about 3/4 of a mile. 45 miles out there gave us about 3000 feet of climb.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Wisconsin - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 18387 Posts: 159

2012-06-05 1:21 PM frnk36

Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 10769 Posts: 55

2013-05-06 6:53 PM wolfador

Rev3 Wisconsin - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by waupaca11
Views: 18563 Posts: 109

2013-06-04 5:15 PM wtnixon

Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ShawnFromNorfolk
Views: 11133 Posts: 59

2011-09-12 4:21 PM matthewwise

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by JPS0135
Views: 8765 Posts: 33

2011-10-09 3:59 PM matthewwise
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race