General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hadley Township, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 35s
Overall Rank = 20/70
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:00am. Two pieces of toast with peanut butter. Pretty normal for me. Drank lemon-lime gatorade on the drive there (about 30 minutes). Got to the park, hit the head, registered, body marked, set up transition.
Event warmup:

Not to0 much. Just stretched and chatted with people in transition.
Swim
  • 28m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was fine. Had not put in too much pool work the previous few weeks. Was a little sore the fisrt lap...actuallt felt better on the second lap. Pretty bad at sighting and my goggles filled with water on the left side consistently. This was annoying, but manageable.
What would you do differently?:

Put more time in at the pool. Sighting and swimming straight is always an issue. It is what it is I guess.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Felt good in T1. Had suit at my waist by the time I hit the timing mat. I ride and run sockless, so transition was pretty smooth. There was a mild rain, so probably wasted 30 seconds wiping off my glasses and feet.

Not too much. Big thanks to my rack neighbor for letting me borrow a garbage bag. Won't foget to pack one of thos in the future.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 18s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.87 km/hr
Comments:

On the last big hill coming back in, I had to move to my small chainring...never used it before. Cable was too tight and I had to fight my shifter to keep it there...PITA. Overall though, I was pleased with the ride. One 20oz bottle of lemon-lime gatorade and 4 endro-lytes were just right.

Well, since I only fid indoors, I may have to rethink this strategy. Praticing hills would be a good idea moving forward. Will need to scope out some rural hills in my area to pratice.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Could not have asked for a better transition. Felt great coming off the bike. Zoot Ultras are amazing and so easy to transition with.

Nothing. Very pleased with how it went.
Run
  • 50m 30s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 03s  min/km
Comments:

Challenging run course for the first event of my season. Still head a pretty good pace. Pleased with the result.

Just work on more hills. Overall, please with the result.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, stretch, hydrate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Simply put in more hours. Only been doing 5-10 hours the past few weeks.

Event comments:

My only disappointment with this race was the finisher's garb. Usually, my son runs the chute with me and loves getting the medal. I realize there is a cost to the medals, but it is rewarding when you have it around your neck. The coffee cup and jacket were fine, but I already have plenty. Being awarded a medal at the end of a "race" shows that you accomplished something. If I want a coffee cup, I will open a bank accoutn and get one along with a free toaster or cooler.

Last updated: 2014-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:40 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 3/70
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Marked well. Easy to follow. Enough room to spread out. Not a whole lot of contact.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:18 | 40 kms | 31.87 km/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 3/70
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was rolling hills and a few challenging ones coming back into the park. The winter in Michigan destroyed the roads so they are patched all over the place. Found myself dodging patch work a lot. Pretty decent headwind on the way out. The hills on the way back kind of negated the tailwind on the way back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:30 | 10 kms | 05m 03s  min/km
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 30/70
Course: Flat and paved for the first mile, transitioned to packed-dirt/gravel for the next 4.2 miles. This is a great course for a Sprint distance. Moving up to Olympic, it is fairly challenging. Lots of hills, and the biggest one is at the turn. A guy in front of me was walking the uphills and running the flats and downhills. Caught up with him after the race and said for 4 miles I didn't know if he was cheating or smart...come to find out...he was smart.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 11:25 AM

User image

Subject: Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by wesenerk
Views: 1164 Posts: 1

2014-06-08 8:21 PM wesenerk

Started by AkABuzz
Views: 1363 Posts: 5

2014-06-09 3:41 PM mtnbikerchk

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1138 Posts: 1

2013-06-10 11:45 AM noelle1230

Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Jonk003
Views: 846 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 11:25 AM Jonk003

Big Fish Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by kellc09
Views: 1428 Posts: 5

2007-06-16 9:00 PM fromer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!