General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Georgetown, Colorado
United States
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 21/2159
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/157
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of oatmeal and banana. Met a friend to carpool from Denver to Idaho Springs, met another friend there and drover to Georgetown. Ate another banana along with some water.
Event warmup:

Jogged about a mile and half with a friend and did a few quick sprints to try to get the tightness out of my legs. For some reason my thighs were tighter than usual.
Run
  • 1h 22m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run the first few miles conservatively but found my legs to be very sluggish and slow. First mile was at 6:45 but ran harder with the second mile a 6:25 for 13:10, still a good bit behind where I wanted to be. I found myself working harder and wanted to just maintain the effort and see how I felt later in the race. Hit the half-way mark at 41:09. After that I actually found myself picking runners off one by one. I was a little nervous that my run would fall apart later in the race but I felt good the whole way. The only problem I had was that a hole in my right sock ended up grabbing my second toenail and kept pulling it up and down with each step, from about the eighth mile to the finish. Although from the eleventh mile to the end was fairl painful I just concentrated on running hard and keeping the same pace. It must have worked because I continued passing runners to the end and was passed only once about a mile to go. In fact I was able to run a negative split on the second half (40:57). It was a very good run for the altitude and only 16 seconds slower than my run in Phoenix 8 months earlier at 1200 feet. Even happier and very surprised I won my age group.
What would you do differently?:

I would definitely inspect my socks better before my runs. I will probably do a bit more stretching after my warmups too. Either way, I was still able to run five minutes faster than last year.
Post race
Warm down:

My toe and toenail were all bloody so I didn't do any warm-down other than stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore and bloody toenail probably kept me from running a minute or so faster but I'm happy with the performance.

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race to anyone.

Last updated: 2006-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:08 | 13.1 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/157
Overall: 157/2159
Performance: Good
21st place overall/ 1st age group.
Course: Was talked into doing this race by some track buddies at the last minute (I still have the Pikes Peak Ascent next weekend). This course is advertised to be a downhill course with an overall descent of about 1000 feet but starts at approximately 8500' and ends at 7500'. Even with the drop in altitude there are quite a few ascents that seem to nullify the descents with the final mile undulating to the finish. Beautiful course along the service road between the two towns.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-13 6:12 PM

Subject: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon

2006-08-13 6:14 PM
in reply to: #510252

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
Great race!! Congrats on the AG win!!!
2006-08-13 9:11 PM
in reply to: #510252

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
oh my gosh.... you are SO fast. i can't believe you ran that course so quickly! i was there too and absolutely LOVED it -- will definitely do it again next year. it was funny - i had never even run 13 miles before and as i watched people warm up for it i asked my sister-in-law "are these people warming up so they can BOOK IT?! i just want to finish!!!" -- welp, you just answered my question. congratulations on a GREAT race and winning your AG!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed