General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
RAM Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 35s
Overall Rank = 197/418
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little later than i wanted to....had planned on 4:15 but woke up at 4:45. The night before we got to our accommodations later than anticipated so I did not have time to prep my bike like I had planned. I had a quick cup of coffee and a honey stinger waffle. As I gulped my coffee down I gazed out the window to an opaque pea soup fog.

I had a few bumps and bruises from the day before when I crashed my bike...in which this will all unfold later in the race report!
Event warmup:

Did a few strokes in the lake. Water was warm and calm - albeit with a thick fog that blocked the view of the landmarks I had planned on sighting
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

The fog was the story of the day. Thick, pea soup fog. It was like the John Carpenter movie The Fog. The start was delayed 30 minutes, and the Olympic distance swim was cut to 750M. As this was my first triathlon and I was most unsure of the swim I lined up towards the back. It ended up I was quite a bit faster than quite a few of the others, and was frustrated getting stuck behind swimmers ahead of me. Then all of a sudden...open water! I kept on going thinking I was going straight...but alas, I went off course. I'm still figuring out sighting and was trying to sight on my weaker side so I switched over and was much more successful there on out. I rounded the buoy and cranked it up passing by quite a few of the folks from the waves ahead of me. Overall I felt calm and my stroke (which I've been working hard on) felt strong. It wasn't a fast time, but I feel very proud of my swim today.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting and seeding myself farther up in the pack.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

I took my time at T1 as this was my first tri...I didn't want to forget anything. Suit went off fine, and then I could not find my sunglasses that I had left in my helmet! I spent a few minutes trying to find them, before finally giving up - it was foggy on the course so they wouldn't be super important.

I wore my bike shoes running out of transition...I'm now regretting not buying tri bike shoes last year and went with the traditional shoes! So it was an awkward run but I didn't push it too much.

I don't think I would do anything different, all went fine other than the sunglasses "disappearing." Though I see a future investment being a pair of tri bike shoes!
Bike
  • 50m 21s
  • 20 kms
  • 23.83 km/hr
Comments:

So remember how I mentioned I was in a crash the day before? I had had a busy day after the crash, and then we got to our accommodations much later than we had anticipated. Then I woke up later than planned...so basically I did not have a chance to check my bike to see if it was OK.

I got out of transition just fine, and then immediately there was a large hill. As I started to shift and climb, the chain fell off the cassette and behind it, essentially wedging itself between the frame and the cassette. Luckily I was able to clip out fast enough to not fall over, but for the life of me I could not unwedge the chain. For several minutes I pulled at the chain and it would not budget. Finally, a passerby came and helped me and after an additional few minutes it came loose. The man (who I am so THANKFUL for his help) recommended avoiding too much shifting the rest of the ride. Which was about 12 more miles...

The rest of the race consisted of trying to catch up mixed in with limited shifting. I ended up being OK staying on my smaller chain ring and dancing between 4 cogs. However the bad derailleur combined with my chain being stripped of a lot of lube from the de-wedging meant shifting was rough and nerve-wracking. As an added bonus my bike computer had been knocked off kilter so I wasn't able to keep my cadence in check. However, considering the conditions I felt my ride went pretty well and I made up a lot of lost ground.

Not cram so much into my schedule the day before a race so I have time to do things like do a basic check up on my bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Transition went smooth. As I took my bike helmet off, I noticed...VIOLA!!!...my sunglasses had been in my helmet after all, safe and snug between my head and the helmet.

Only thing slowing me down was my need to visit the port-o-pots. Try as I might, I cannot pee during the swim or on the bike. I'm ok losing a minute at the loo!

Think everything went OK, but if I wanted to be more competitive learn to pee during the swim or on the bike.
Run
  • 27m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I knew this would likely be the strongest part of the race for me...and it was. The first mile was spent getting used to my legs after the bike, the second mile was getting my pace in check, and the third mile was spent picking off other runners and finishing strong. I felt like a rock star crossing the finish line. The only thing that impeded my performance was the high humidity - I felt like I was breathing in a steam room.

Do more brick workouts so I can adjust to the run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little with a little stretching. Drank the chocolate milk and ate the pretzels in my goodie bag.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, poor sighting, bike chain falling off

Event comments:

Events not on time only due to weather conditions.

Last updated: 2014-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 750 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/24
Overall: 127/418
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy
Course: Out and back starting from shore and rounding an orange buoy
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:21 | 20 kms | 23.83 km/hr
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 324/418
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills in the countryside surrounding Lake Geneva.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: n/a
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:23 | 05 kms | 05m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 106/418
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run, generally rolling terrain with a steep climb at the 3 mile mark.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-22 7:25 PM

User image

Subject: Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-06-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: #5015952

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

Congrats on your first tri!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Mattychi
Views: 710 Posts: 1

2012-07-24 4:33 PM Mattychi

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by quincyf
Views: 1128 Posts: 3

2012-06-26 10:12 PM oriolepwr

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 1080 Posts: 5

2012-06-26 8:14 PM tbcoffee

Started by MUL98
Views: 918 Posts: 2

2012-06-26 5:55 AM tbcoffee

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by baurryman
Views: 1160 Posts: 4

2012-06-25 8:56 AM MUL98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.