www.coloradorunnermag.com/
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Because I was traveling to KS the following Week, Thurs and Fri were very busy finishing all possible projects, so did not pick up Packets early.
Let Timmy drive his rental SUV, and got to venue plenty early for 8am start, got Packet and put number on Belt. Can't say enough about a number belt being far superior to fooling with pins on race morning.
Very glad to see, not only no Precip but very light and variable winds so that 52 and Sunny would soon be very warm. My rule in Colo is no long sleeves at 55 and Sunny, and I knew it would reach 55 very soon.

Event warmup:

Timmy went off with first, faster wave, and I stretched and jogged after they were gone. This would be the longest I had run continuously since Pike Peak And Rampart Rez PRs of 2011, so eased about and stretched a bit, and talked to a guy also wearing Hokas, and lined up near back of pack.
Run
  • 1h 33m 46s
  • 8 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to go 1:34 so the 1:33:46 and having fun doing it was perfect.
Eased a bit in the Hills and middle sections over the Saddles, talking to folks etc. but I am in decent Walk-Walk-Walk-Run shape, not Run shape. So it was probably a smarter effort than I'll even give myself credit for.
What would you do differently?:

Would like to do this one again, running more after more training, but I met my expectations exactly and had a great time doing it, so not sure I would be happier. Ha.
Post race
Warm down:

Had Tim and Britt exchange numbers and set up that we'd get Parking Pass for Manitou whenever they got back after 'Partner'-Man finished 50K.
Eased about at 'Mini Expo'. Got a Muscle Milk and then another of different flavor.
Sat down on picnic table in small Pavilion and stretched when Tim headed to Car for Wallet to buy T-Shirt.
Then saw race after-food line, so went through and got some fruit and a Cookie.
Good stuff all.
Got back up and browsed with Tim. Wind came up and started lifting Tent next to the one we were under, so we both grabbed Tent rigging above while guy went for the big Tent Weights they hadn't needed early this morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but that I'm 'not really a runner' at this point. But I can see that could change, at least some, with the Hokas.

Event comments:

Really a great race if the weather is good.
When I Run/Walked the Course on Wednesday in driving wind and on and off light snow in high 30s low 40s it was not good.
But 52 and sunny at start, and later that day 85 at closest reporting station in Manitou or Ivy Wild... not sure, you know, MicroBrew... made for a perfect day.
Next year, go a little harder on run, easier on MicroBrew.

Last updated: 2014-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:46 | 08 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: It was GENIUS to run 2 waves, especially with Chip timing there was every reason to do it, and it made for smooth sailing from the start. A few flat miles in experienced a simultaneous relaxation and endorphin boost that for me only comes from continuous running at a maintainable pace. Felt good and in the groove but cautious, believing I could easily over do it and struggle in the upcoming hills and 2nd half of the race , which I REALLY did not want to do. But in fact, the walking in the hills and then talking with folks, including Britt from Manitou, (who ended up leaving her Guess Parking Pass in mailbox for Tim and I when we came to Manitou later that afternoon) kept the lid on nicely, and I ran some downhills and brought it on home. Actually a very good course, despite the 933 folks on it at one time, the double-track and even triple-track it is at times, served us all well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes