General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling while running - am I missing something? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-30 12:43 PM

Subject: Fueling while running - am I missing something?
Hello everyone,

So I am training for a marathon in early October (my first), and my long runs will begin to move towards 15 miles next week. I am following a plan that I created and loosely based it on the Barry P principles. With that said, I have a question about fueling. Well actually my question is should I be fueling while running.

Currently, I do not eat anything while running, be it racing or training. For training, I am not the type that can eat when I first get up. I would rather go run (or whatever workout I am doing), then I have a breakfast smoothie on the drive into work. I do carry a bottle of Gatorade on runs of an hour or more, sometimes less if it is supposed to be really hot or humid. I know I am getting some calories from the Gatorade, and I am never "starving" when I get done. I also have never "bonked" while running. Last summer I trained for a 30K using a marathon plan. My mileage got up into the 50 miles per week area with long runs of 20 miles, and I never fueled while running. I also did not fuel during the 30k and never was at a point to where I felt like I needed to eat.

My typical pre-race breakfast is two cups of coffee (with cream and sugar) and three scrambled eggs, three slices of bacon, and a slice of cheese between two pieces of toast. My most recent race was an international length triathlon in April. It was my first go at that distance, and I was pleased. I did take two "shots" of a homemade energy gel (honey, molasses, and salt) while on the bike. The rest of the time it was just sports drinks. Gatorade on the bike and Heed on the run. While the gel sort of tasted good, I am not sure I really needed it. I more decided to give it a go because it seemed to be conventional wisdom.

So while this is my first marathon, I am hoping to finish strong. I am curious if the collective wisdom of the community is that I am being foolish to not be developing a fueling strategy, even though I do not perceive myself as needing it. Since my long runs are going to begin to trend up and above 15 miles in the coming weeks, I feel like now is the time to decide if I want to develop a fueling plan so I could begin to implement it in training.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Matt

2014-06-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Fueling while running - am I missing something?

Gels are basically a concentrated form of sports drink.  If you get enough cals/carbs from your sports drink, you don't need to take any gels (or bars, etc.).  Might still be worth trying it on a few of your longer runs so you have options you feel comortable with using, if necessary, on race day.

2014-06-30 1:06 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Expert
Broadlands

That's an interesting question, I don't carry any "food" on a marathon with me, I will train with gels if I'm doing a 15 mile plus run.

On races, I find I can happily manage with the drinks provided on the course, a few times I have grabbed gel later in the race from an aid station as I felt it was required on that day.

For races I know I'm going to be going longer than I would on a marathon I will carry gels, and start taking them hourly or every 45 minutes from the start in some cases if I know I'm going to be depleting reserves for a while.

It certainly doesn't hurt me to practice this, certain gels are much easier for me to take on it seems.

It's always good to practice how you race IMO, try the different options, gel every hour on a super long run, or carry a gel for the last hour of a 3 hour run, or don't take anything, try it out and see how you feel.  It's your race, you'll know what works if you put the time in training that it sounds like you do.

2014-06-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
IMHO alot of folks get so freaked out about nutrition that they over eat and pay for it that way. If what you are doing works for you, then keep doing it. Maybe play around with a gel here and there in training to see what happens. There is no right or wrong amount of nutrition.

I'm a fast, efficient ultra runner. My weekly long run is between 27-31 miles and I take in 3 gels, 4 salt tabs if its hot and 3 20oz bottles of water. Alot of folks would say thats seriously underfueled, but my results don't lie. My nutrition is spot on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling while running - am I missing something? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I missing something?

Started by gvey
Views: 804 Posts: 4

2011-05-31 3:12 PM FELTGood

missing something?

Started by MGF310
Views: 751 Posts: 6

2010-11-06 7:24 AM monkeyboy64

Am I doing something wrong?

Started by verga
Views: 969 Posts: 6