Vineman, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 16m 52s
Overall Rank = 70/254
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/35
Pre-race routine:

Night before race, I couldn't sleep. Finally crashed around midnight and had to get up around 4:45. Definitely not enough sleep, but I was still wired and wide awake. Had a good breakfast and felt good before heading down to the course
Event warmup:

Did a little bit of riding from my car to the transition area. Stretched a lot and jogged a bit. Got in 5 minutes before swim to strecth out there.
Swim
  • 56m 9s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off great. I was feeling really good until rounding the first bouy. My left leg then started to cramp up. I thought it was weird (I rarely cramp when swimming), but I had been having night cramps in my legs for about 3 weeks, but hadn't had any problem for the last week or so of training. It went away pretty quickly, but about a mile later my right leg knotted up real tight. I worked that one out and was able to still finish with a really good swim.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I could have figured out why I was cramping up at night and fixed things. I tried electrolytes and fluids and they went away, but they still showed up during the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Good Transition, but it was on a rocky beach an I got small pebbles in my socks. I didn't realize it on the bike, but I did on the run.

Made sure the bottoms of my feet were clean
Bike
  • 6h 02m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

First off, I (and a few other people I talked to) think the course was closer to 114. This year they had to alter the course because of some construction, and I think it ended up a bit long.
The first lap was great. I fellt really good and was holding about 20 MPH. The second I definitely slowed down, but still felt good. My bike odometer read 114 by the time I was off the bike and my average speed was right around 19 MPH.

I pushed a bit hard on the first lap, but it felt so good at the time. I'm pretty sure that it hurt me for the rest of the race
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Good Transition, but it was here that I began to realize how painful the run was going to be. My legs were really starting to cramp and my back was doing the same. I was afraid I was going to have to walk the entire marathon.

Refering back to the rocks in my socks from T1. I would have changed my socks and cleaned my feet.
Run
  • 5h 11m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well it wasn't as bad as I feared when I got off my bike. I walked about 1/2 of it and ran the rest (usually ran on the flatter sections and downhills, walked the steep uphills and the aid stations). My back loosened up and my legs, while still cramping, weren't as bad as I thought. I actaully got faster with each lap.

I should have tried to run a bit more. I should have gone easier on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot and finally got into a really cold shower. Got a nice massage afterwards that really helped. I couldn't eat for about an hour afterwards, but finally got some soup down. By midnight I had been through a huge plate of eggs and hashbrowns

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The leg cramps obviously were the biggest problem. I wish I could have figured that out. I also think I pushed to hard on the bike and really paid for it on the run.
All in all I am happy with everything considering it was my first full length race.

Event comments:

Really liked the layout and the race. Because it it not an M-Dot event, this tends to be a bit smaller than other full length races. There was a bit of a shortage of volunteers (I think because it is a smaller event, and they just ran the 70.3 race here two weeks ago). The vols who were there though were great. Lots of suppport and lots of cheering people. I'd definitely run it again.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:09 | 4224 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 8/254
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Two laps on dammed portion of Russian River. Started against current and finished with (very slow current)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:02:11 | 112 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/35
Overall: 53/254
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two lap course. Rolling hills through Sonoma county and wineries. Really nice, but some bumpy roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:11:32 | 26.2 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/35
Overall: 85/254
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills (I don't think there was a flat portion of the run). Three lap out and back so we really got to know the same 4.3 mile stretch of road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 11:52 AM

Subject: Vineman Triathlon

2006-08-20 11:22 PM
in reply to: #510952

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Vineman Triathlon
Hey I did this race as well, good job, you are right about the bike being longer, the RD said at the awards ceremony that there was an extra mile each lap due to the construction.

Congrats on your race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed