General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Illinois
United States
Tri Harder Promotions
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 49m 19s
Overall Rank = 107/157
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/25
Pre-race routine:

This is my first 70.3 race and one of my 3 main goals for 2014. Stayed in a hotel in Springfield the night before to make the morning logistics a little more smooth. Out of bed at 4 am. Ate a banana, 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter. Arrived at event ~5:40 am. Set up transition and ready to go. Body marking and chip pickup both had lines, but were not long waits.
The week leading up to the race the RD posted the water temp at 86*. I brought my wetsuit, but left it in the car. 5 mins before the prerace meeting the RD announced that the official water temp was 76.1 - wetsuit legal.
Event warmup:

I was headed to do a warm up swim when the wetsuit announcement was made. I had to find my wife, get her to run to the car (since I was in flip flops) to get my wetsuit. Therefore, no warmup.
Swim
  • 43m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim. I staged myself in the wave in the back 1/3 of the group. I was a little bottled up in the first 100 yds, but it helped me to relax and find a rhythm. The water was choppy - and a large portion was straight into the headwind. I'd never swam in water this choppy. I was glad to have my wetsuit. Breathing was good, stroke was good, sighting was difficult because of the swells.
I surprised myself with this swim - I expected it to be a struggle. It wasn't super fast, but was a great time for me.
What would you do differently?:

If I could have timed my sighting with peaking on a swell I would have been able to see better!
I didn't notice until out on the bike, but I had chafed areas around my arms/back from the swim. Not anticipating a wetsuit swim I hadn't swam in my race top and wetsuit...
- Nothing new on race day, right?
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Took my time to ensure that I had everything placed in transition well (I had never had to deal with a wetsuit in transition) and that I had everything I needed on the bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was flat. The roads were rough, but I was able to stay in aero for 99% of the ride. It took me awhile to settle down on my bike - my heart rate was up from the swim and I couldn't bring it down until ~ 5 miles into the bike. I also had the twitchy feeling indicating a leg cramp was coming in the first 3-5 miles. I never had a cramp, but this seemed odd.
The first half of the first out and back was into the south headwind. On the return the wind had started to shift from the west. The second out and back was a SE/NW leg and had a W headwind on the return. Around mile 40 I could feel some fatigue in my legs. I wasn't worried and had confidence that they would respond for the run based on how they responded in training BRICKS. The bike leg was tougher than I expected. Reflecting back, my hydration / nutrition was insufficient for the hot conditions.

Improve my nutrition hydration plan. I think my overall calorie intake was good, but I needed more water and more Endurolytes. I dropped a water bottle that was 1/2 - 2/3 empty on a rough road, so I don't know my exact fluid/nutrition intake. Approximately 36 oz of water with Heed (300 calories), Sustained Energy in a paste (350 calories), an Endurolytes Extreme capsule every hour.
My effort was slightly higher than planned (measured by HR) and my pace was about 1 MPH slower than planned. Not a terrible bike leg.

Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

Good transition. Legs felt fatigued after bike, but good. I took time to apply body glide to arms. (which had melted in the heat - go figure)

Nothing. My transition area was well organized. I brought 2 pair of sunglasses - one for the bike and one for the run - which worked out really well.
Run
  • 2h 48m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I stopped just outside of transition at the aid station and drank a cup of cold water. The first 1/2 mile felt great! I reminded myself not to take off too fast. About 3/4 mile into the run my right quad cramped - enough that I had to stop and stretch out the cramp. After that I had numerous leg muscle cramps that prevented me from continuous running. A walk/jog approach got me through the rest of the course. It was frustrating having my legs cramp up so early on the run. The positives: 1.) I met a few people on the course - some struggling right there with me. 2.) I maintained a positive attitude throughout knowing there was nothing I could do to change today. 3.) No trouble eating of drinking and used gels from flask throughout and one Endurolyte Extreme each hour. 4.) "Energy level" was not a problem as I have experienced in some sprint events in the past.

I think poor hydration on the bike hurt more than anything. I more or less followed my plan - I just didn't plan for enough. I could have tried to force down more Endurolytes on the run, but training with them has taught me that too many lead to GI issues and my guess was that it was too late since the cramps had started.
Post race
Warm down:

Pack up transition and walk to the car - which was ~1/2 mile. Loaded up the car and made it back to the boathouse for the last few awards being issued.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Higher than planned effort on the bike and insufficient hydration/nutrition.
Cramps on the run. The cramps were disappointing - other than that I was happy with my results.

My wife and daughter were at the race. It was great having their support on race day - and fitting too since they have supported me through my training this year. It was uplifting to see them at the start and end of each leg.

I had a goal time when I started - I didin't meet it. Surprisingly, it's not bothering me. Through this race I learned that achieving a split time goal or overall time goal is icing on the cake. I do this because it's fun.

Event comments:

Really good aid station support on the run. HEED, water, cola + bananas, chips, pretzels. They also had ice cold rags, cups of ice, and Endurolytes available.
Not such good support on the bike. There was a bottle exchange at mile 10 [but on the way back by they were out of water] and a bottle exchange on the second out/back leg that was well stocked when I went by both ways.

Last updated: 2014-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 65/157
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: One loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:18 | 56 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 99/157
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One 'loop' - 2 out and back legs.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:48:38 | 13.1 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 116/157
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, shaded, run through quiet neighborhoods along the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-07-30 11:00 AM

Subject: Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by Gmax101098
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2013-07-31 8:37 AM Gmax101098

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3056 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marat

Started by JA Pryse
Views: 1566 Posts: 1

2009-11-23 8:03 AM JA Pryse

Route 66 Half Marathon

Started by apw0397
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2006-11-26 8:01 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.