United States
Vermont Sun Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 40s
Overall Rank = 91/155
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Event warmup:

Not enough! I did maybe 3 or 4 minutes of swim warm up, that was it.
Swim
  • 14m 1s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was totally NOT prepared for the complete chaos of the start. With all of the body parts flailing around, the amount of water being splashed, the clashing of bodies, the massive number of bubbles in the water, and the feet directly in front of me ready to kick me in the face, I think I panicked! All I know is that I was feeling out of breath after only about 100 meters and that ain't good! I spent virtually the entire swim feeling out of breath.
What would you do differently?:

I would definitely not get into the middle of the pack racing for the first buoy. I should have stayed to the outside away from the chaos. I think I would have stressed/panicked less and been more relaxed, which would have resulted in better breathing and a better overall time (even if I had to swim an extra 25-50 meters).
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Changed into my Spider Man bike jersey for my son. Took a lot longer to get into that tight bike jersey than I wanted it to. Most other aspects went well.

I won't bother with clothing changes during my next event. I did for this one just to have that jersey on for my son to see it. Not much else I can change. Maybe run a little faster out of the water and into the transition area.
Bike
  • 49m 37s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went well. It was a relatively hilly course, but only two hills were difficult. I knew I had to push because of my bad swim and my body obliged. I think I found a good mix of stretches to push it and stretches to rest up for the biggest hills.

Not much to change. I did make one mistake not changing gears quickly enough to engage a hill more efficiently. I got stuck in a higher gear than I wanted to, didn't want to shift mid-hill, and struggled to get to the top. It took me a little while to recover and get back up to pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Got stuck behind a slow moving person getting into a crowded transition area and had no way to pass. Really struggled getting the bike jersey off and my running shirt on.

My next tri will be done wearing on set of clothing for the entire event. I wasted way too much time in transition putting on and taking off clothing. I'm sure I lost at least a full minute changing clothes between T1 and T2 combined.
Run
  • 28m 45s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 45s  min/km
Comments:

Overall, I was pleased with the run. I felt a cramp building less than a quarter mile into the run. I had to stop to stretch my calves. Probably wasted 30-40 seconds stretching, but did a good job because they didn't bother me again.

Train more?! LOL My run was right about where I thought I'd be based on my training. If I hadn't needed to stop and stretch, my time probably would have been more like 28:15, which is a real good 5K time for me.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, mostly in the swim, but also in transitions. Otherwise, most of my event times and my overall time were just about in line with my expectations based on my training.

Event comments:

No race t-shirt or finisher's medal seemed kinda lame. Very little in the "goodie" bags and very little in the way of post-race activity. Not an expensive race, but it still seemed like they could have done more for the athletes.

Last updated: 2014-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:01 | 600 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 125/155
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:37 | 14 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 83/155
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: "Rolling hills". Most hills were small, only two larger ones to worry about. The biggest was about a 6% grade for nearly 0.7 miles. The other was more like 3% grade for about 0.65 miles. But there were also 2 downhill stretches that went on for nearly a mile at 2% or less grade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:45 | 05 kms | 05m 45s  min/km
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 89/155
Performance: Good
Course: Only one real hill to speak of, which came about 1/4 mile into the run. There was only one other hill that caused me to lose my pace. The run course was nice because essentially the entire course was on a tree lined road that offered plenty of shade from the sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-08-14 6:53 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Vermont Sun Triathlon II
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermont Sun Triathlon II Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vermont Sun Triathlon II

Started by
Views: 339 Posts: 1

2014-08-14 6:31 PM

Vermont Sun Triathlon II

Started by aviatrix802
Views: 1203 Posts: 4

2014-08-14 7:48 PM Qua17

Vermont Sun Triathlon

Started by MJSlider8
Views: 1249 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 6:29 PM

Vermont Sun Triathlon

Started by ekbrenner
Views: 1244 Posts: 1

2005-07-25 8:29 PM ekbrenner

Vermont Sun Triathlon Series

Started by budstevens
Views: 940 Posts: 1

2005-06-20 6:36 PM budstevens
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.