Life Time Fitness
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 13s
Overall Rank = 407/2131
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/136
Pre-race routine:

Was not able to train much prior the two weeks prior to race. Traveled for business two weeks out and then came down with a nasty cold one week before the race. Was not sure how it would affect me. Stayed downtown at the Hilton. Set alarm for 5:15 am to leave by 6am. Woke up at 4am and got out of bed at 5. Showered made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and had a banana along with a water bottle of Nuun with Caffine. Left hotel around 5:50 and walked/biked to transition area a little over a mile away. Had to wait a few min before transition area was opened at 6:30. Opted not to store bike overnight at transition. Transition area was on grass and was a muddy disaster area. Torrential rains the night before made for real mess. Oh well, everyone had to deal with it. Found a decent place on the rack, got stuff set up and then walked to swim start area. Got in some good stretching. Wife and kids met me so I could give me transition bag vs storing in gear check.
Event warmup:

Didn't do any warm up. I usually do some swimming, but for this race that is not an option. Just stretched and had a Gu about 15 min before start time. Start time was 9:12am
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very challenging swim day. Water was quite rough with swells and lots of seaweed. Also, the transition area is a 1/4 mile from out of the water. Clocked my actual swim at 14:40. Long run on a carpeted path...longest run to a transition that I've experienced, definitely added to fatigue.
What would you do differently?:

Got caught up in a tight group about 1/2 way and we were all banging each other. Maybe try to get more outside.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Once I finally got to T1 things went fairly well. Wet suit came off fairly easily. Initially forgot to unzip ankle zippers. With body glide on calfs and ankles suit came off easily. Sat down in muddy grass to get shoes and socks on. Put helmet and sunglasses on and then off. Once on mount area had a bit of a challenge getting shoes into clips, 3rd or 4th attempt got the right one in.
Bike
  • 44m 51s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

PR on the bike!!! Had a great ride. Goal was to hit 20mph average and got 20.3 so I was happy! Rode with a guy for most of the bike and chatted as we were going same pace. Broke up the bike nice.
Transition 2
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Getting to bike was slow...crowded transition area with people still coming out with their bikes as we were coming in. I just decided not to push it, take it easy and just roll with it. Got to my spot and racked bike, got off shoes, put on running shoes, hat and race number without a problem. Again, long run inside transition area to run out...definitely added to the run.
Run
  • 31m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was brutal. By this time of the day, started run about 10:15 it was VERY hot, sunny and humid! I was definitely feeling it and quite fatigued. I walked through the water stations, and got two glasses of water at each one. One to drink and one to pour on my head. Each mile was slower. My quads, especially right, started cramping pretty bad at about the last 1/2 mile. Stopped briefly to try to stretch it out. Kept on running to finish. Finished strong (put on a good face ;) ) Great atmosphere at the finish...this is why I really enjoy big races!
What would you do differently?:

Definitely need to train more on the run and do more bricks. I also didn't get much hot weather training this year (because there hasn't been any hot weather) so wasn't prepared for the heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Took my time after the finish. Got a cold towel and water right away. Drank and bottle, poured a couple on my head. Drank more water. Had some gatorade, but I really decided I don't like gatorade right after a race. Need water. Kept cold towels on head and neck and more water on head. Got a stretch from Athletica booth which was great. Had some food, but not much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run segment was downfall again. Very happy with swim and bike was my PR!! More training and need to be lighter. Race weight was about 238.

Event comments:

I love big races and this one is the biggest! While it is big, I never really felt overly crowded. Yeah you can get knocked around on the swim, transitions can be a little tight, but it's a great race! I'd do it again, for sure. If the transition area was not so far from the swim, I'd probably give it 5...but the two runs (swim in and run out) of the transition area really made it challenging. Fun day, great atmosphere and good fan support!

Last updated: 2014-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/136
Overall: 372/2131
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Interesting course. Start in deep water and have to tread for 4 min...no big deal. Course is a straight shot down the harbor wall...no turns for the sprint course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:51 | 15 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/136
Overall: 197/2131
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Fairly flat course and pretty fast. Straight north on Lake Shore Drive and then back down. Pretty good tail wind for first half and then head wind coming back. first 5 miles was really fast! Minor hills going over the overpasses.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:39 | 03.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/136
Overall: 955/2131
Performance: Below average
Course: Fairly flat run course. Very scenic! Along lake and then around The Shedd Aquarium and near Soilder Field. 4 hydration spots.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-25 9:14 AM

User image

Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1369 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 9:46 PM chirunner134

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Olympic Course

Started by flanag
Views: 1212 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 11:28 AM flanag

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course

Started by julio26pt2
Views: 1153 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 10:08 AM julio26pt2

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Olympic Course

Started by rdietz
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 8:31 AM rdietz

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Course

Started by cvette4
Views: 1153 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 1:14 PM cvette4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.