General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How ofter does your pool change water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-04 2:30 PM

Subject: How ofter does your pool change water?
My local Y just finished the annual indoor pool cleaning and water change. What a huge difference in water clarity and taste. I notice a similiar thing when using my neighborhood outdoor pool which is only open during the summer. I am sure all the chemicals keep the Y pool safe, but what about all the hairspray, deodorant, sweat, and other things I'm swimming in that I'd prefer not to think about.

Is changing the water once a year standard practice or should I suggest something more frequent? What do other indoor pools do?

2014-09-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: spalek

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How ofter does your pool change water?

Originally posted by spalek My local Y just finished the annual indoor pool cleaning and water change. What a huge difference in water clarity and taste. I notice a similiar thing when using my neighborhood outdoor pool which is only open during the summer. I am sure all the chemicals keep the Y pool safe, but what about all the hairspray, deodorant, sweat, and other things I'm swimming in that I'd prefer not to think about. Is changing the water once a year standard practice or should I suggest something more frequent? What do other indoor pools do?

Let us know how that goes for you.  

Our Y is closed once per year as well for deep cleaning/maintenance.  If your Y pool has as many little kids and old people as our Y pool does it's best if you just keep moving as fast as you can.

2014-09-04 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Wow your Y closes the pool!  The two Y's we go haven't closed the pools that I ever known of.  Our kids started swimming at the small indoor pool when they were 4 until they were ~10 (now 15 & 13), then moved up to the comp Y team with the Olympic pool.  Both Y's do have some massive filtration systems though.

The indoor Y pool use to be pretty strict in that you were suppose to be "showered" (or wet) before you got in the pool.  Lately not so much though.

2014-09-04 8:13 PM

That's why they have the chemicals and filters to help keep the water safe. I'm sure you can suggest more frequent change but that doesn't mean they'll do it. And how often would you suggest? And that's also A LOT of water for them to add
2014-09-05 12:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by spalek
Is changing the water once a year standard practice or should I suggest something more frequent? What do other indoor pools do?

AFAIK that is pretty normal. And that's why you (and all other users) should shower before they enter the water, use a cap while swimming, not use the same swim trunks as for the beach, not pee in the water ... etc.
2014-09-05 6:51 AM

Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by spalek

My local Y just finished the annual indoor pool cleaning and water change. What a huge difference in water clarity and taste.

My local Y's just did theirs as well. My regular one is now 2 weeks post-cleaning. Clarity is still good, and taste is very heavy chlorine, so I guess that's good.

2014-09-05 2:15 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by erik.norgaard
Originally posted by spalek Is changing the water once a year standard practice or should I suggest something more frequent? What do other indoor pools do?
AFAIK that is pretty normal. And that's why you (and all other users) should shower before they enter the water, use a cap while swimming, not use the same swim trunks as for the beach, not pee in the water ... etc.

I was with you until the last statement.... now you are asking for too much.

2014-09-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
once a year at my pool, but sometimes they will drain it down 6-12 inches and fill it back up. It's not a lot but it's something
2014-09-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
My old pool would close it down every 6 months for a few days for a deep clean and maintenance. I don't know if they were steaming or pressure washing it but they had guys in rubber suits spraying the walls of it.
2015-07-20 11:47 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Reviving an old thread here.

You'd be surprised at the amount of water that is replaced through every day use and routine filter cleaning. For indoor pools, the main source of water replacement is splash/carry out (people pulling water out of the pool when they get out). Also, water is replaced every time the filter is backwashed (varies with the type of filter, but still the same concept) -- the flow of water is reversed through the filter and the waste goes down the sewer line. Either way, water lost is replaced with water from the city line.

The main purpose of the yearly drain is to clean the white coat of the pool from any build up/staining that occurred throughout the year. A happy side effect of that drain and refill is starting over with a clean slate chemical wise. If not properly maintained, certain chemical levels (TA, CH, and TDS) can wreak havoc on water quality, equipment life, and swimmer comfort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How ofter does your pool change water? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bricks how ofter how many???

Started by Thaitri
Views: 802 Posts: 7

2009-07-07 12:48 PM JorgeM

How ofter do you take a day off? Pages: 1 2

Started by docswim24
Views: 1284 Posts: 29

2007-04-30 9:56 PM windnsnow

Doing TI drills at the pool Pages: 1 2

Started by hpadkisson
Views: 2700 Posts: 40

2006-01-21 9:14 PM crab68

Anyone done a Tri with a pool swim?

Started by keepitup
Views: 1172 Posts: 9

2005-05-18 12:21 PM tim_edwards

Changing gears....how exactly is it done correctly?

Started by dolly
Views: 1137 Posts: 8

2004-04-22 9:41 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.