General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Running Festival Omaha Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Running Festival Omaha Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Omaha, Nebraska
United States
HITS Endurance
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 26s
Overall Rank = 36/581
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/59
Pre-race routine:

Banana and ensure. Signed up for this race 3 days before hand since I figured I could at least complete it...
Event warmup:

Didn't do a warm up or stretch. A warm up may have helped but I assumed I'd run the first 1-2 miles slower and warm up that way but the first two miles ended up being my fastest, doh.
Run
  • 3h 21m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

First two laps were low 7 min/miles. Way faster than I wanted to be but I started at the front this year, so I got caught up trying to keep up with everyone else. I told myself that I'd only do a half if things got bad. I felt fine at the break off point and kept going. At the 13.1 mile marker though, my right ankle hurt like hell. I had to limp on my left leg for 9 miles until it felt ok again. By then, I was already slowing down due to being out of energy.

This is the first marathon where I did not walk due to being tired. I only walked through some aid stations. I did have to walk 5 seconds at the finish line since two 1/2 marathoners were walking and taking the entire finish chute (was very small). Sort of anti-climatic finish for my PR.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more! Course had mainly water only aid stations, which seems insane. I needed some sugar drinks, that's for sure! I did manage to have 4 GUs but I was living off my 1,000 calorie breakfast + energy stores for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Felt horrible. Felt worst after this race than IM. Not to say marathon was harder but I was already in a so-so state before the race and only got 4 hours of sleep the night before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM 2 weeks before hand. Not having any sugar drinks during race.

Event comments:

PR'ed by 3 minutes, 2 weeks after a full IM, which is awesome. Felt pretty good about that. Aid stations need to be redone, that's for sure (needs more energy drinks.) Miles 15-24, I was alone. I couldn't see anyone in front of me or behind me. Was a pretty weird feeling being in a race. This is a smaller race (think 2K 1/2 + full racers on course) but I knew that going into it. Hoping I can keep my running fitness going and get a sub 3 hour marathon next year to guarantee entry to Boston. I'll see what happens. Hefty goal but if I aim high, I tend to at least make it further than if I didn't.

Last updated: 2014-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:21:26 | 26.2 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/59
Overall: 36/581
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/596125642 Average HR was 166, which is borderline Z4 for me. I did a full IM 2 weeks before this race and that messed up my HR for sure. I always assumed that you were supposed to do marathons in Z2 but I learned this year that I was dead wrong. Z3 is where you race at. Due to the IM, I raced via PE since my HR is really jacked up after a hard race for 1-2 weeks. If my HR was 170+ though, I'd slow down.
Course: Pretty flat but also pretty boring (a lot of it was on a bike trail). They switched it up this year since too many people complained of the hills. It's a good course to PR on but way more exciting marathon routes out there.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-09-27 2:17 PM

User image

Subject: HITS Running Festival Omaha Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Running Festival Omaha Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Baltimore Running Festival- Marathon/Half Marathon/4 Person Team Relay/5K

Started by Red5
Views: 1071 Posts: 1

2009-12-18 11:03 PM Red5

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon

Started by ThatGirl
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2009-05-10 4:13 PM ThatGirl

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1781 Posts: 18

2009-05-13 12:28 PM dck4shrt

2007 Omaha Marathon (Half Marathon)

Started by VeganMan
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2007-12-17 9:58 AM VeganMan

Baltimore Running Festival - CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon

Started by lizard
Views: 2042 Posts: 3

2006-10-15 9:58 AM PTinVA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"
date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle