Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 3h 38m 2s
  • 59.88 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride started out under cloudy skies and was cool. About an hour in the sun came out and the wind picked up a bit. I would fall behind Randell and Dana every uphill section. We did maintian a good pace for me (17.3 mph) through 48 miles.

At about the 30 mile point we ran into a road rage incident that I will never forget. The three of us plus another rider were cruising along single file along the white line (there was a gravel shoulder). This old coot in a beat up pickup came flying by screaming and yelling at us. He whipped infront of the lead rider, swung onto the shoulder and tried to door him. The second rider was Randell and the coot threw something at him. Seeing this I backed off and he jumped back into his truck and peeled off throwing gravel all over. I thought he was going to run over the riders infront of me so I grabbed my cell phone. Fortunately he just drove off screaming. It really shook the lead guy up.

At mile 48 we turned into the wind and hit a LOOOOOOOOONG uphil stretch. I really started to fade on this stretch. I am not sure that I have ridden that slow for that long in my adulthood. Randell and Dana would just leave me in the dust.

I knew I was going to make it when we got back into Waconia. Coming up the last hill behind the county fairground my quads just went on strike. I was seriously afraid I would have to get off and walk but I did make it up the hill. To show you how slow the last stretch was I went from a 17.3 average to a 16.5 ave in 10 miles.
What would you do differently?:

I do think I should have drank more. I certian had to stop at rest stops because natured called but given the headache I have today (the day after) I probably was getting dehydrated (not to mention I lost 5 pounds on that ride)
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My conditioning

Event comments:

I will certianly add this ride to my calendar for next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Biking
03:38:02 | 59.88 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rural County roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: The Ride Across Carver County

2006-08-20 4:01 PM
in reply to: #516741

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: The Ride Across Carver County
Awesome Job Hikergerb! My biking isn't so hot these days Sorry about the jerk but unfortunately we find them every where becuz they aren't enlightened like us nuts!!!
2006-08-20 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Yeah!!! Awesome Ride!!! You did a great job-and it's to be expected that you get tired after 50 miles--it does take something out of  you. You had a great ride!!!
2006-08-21 2:07 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Yikes, scary incident. I would've totally freaked out if that happened to me. Not cool. Glad everyone is OK.

On a much happier note- nice kick bootie ride! Just think...century.

2006-08-21 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Good job Gerb!

Go get a drink of water
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Ride Across Carver County Rss Feed