Y-Events
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 38s
Overall Rank = 532/611
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 27/35
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday afternoon, got on the base and drove the bike course. noted the hills and inclines. Couldn't get into the swim/run area because it is a training area for the Navy.
Went for a good pasta dinner the night before the race. Made it home in time to catch the end of "Without Limits." I checked all of my stuff a couple of times and then got ready for bed. Wound down at about 8:30 and I was asleep by 10.
We were up at 5:30a. I had a banana and a muffin. Drank 1/2L of water and some Gatorade, loaded the car, checked out of the hotel, and headed to the race site.
Event warmup:

Was one of the first people into the transition area to set up. Racking was by wave and I picked a spot at the very end. I was a little nervous but I listened to my iPod,stretched for about 20 minutes, ate a banana, and 1/2 a Clif Bar. Finished my Gatorade and headed down to the beach.
I ran about 1/2 mile on the beach and checked out the swim course. The waves were small and there didnt seem to be any kind of current.
As the pre-race meeting started some fairly large sets started to come in. The race director told us that there was a pretty swift current.
I was in wave 6 so I waited while the other waves went off, chatted with some other newbies, and stretched a little more.
Swim
  • 17m 28s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did fine getting out into the water and through the main break, started out with a good stroke until I rounded the first buoy. Unfortunately the course was inside the second break and the water was fairly choppy. Being a left side breather, this made breathing pretty difficult and I took on a lot of water. Despite treading water a few times, I was able to use the northern current to my advantage and get around the second buoy. On the way in the waves really picked up and I lost my goggles. There was also a shallow sand bar that I was able to stand up on that dropped off leaving me to start swimming again. I came out of the water with a minor side stitch but overall I felt pretty good and saw a few guys around me who looked like they were hurting pretty bad.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more in the ocean.
Learn to breathe more on both sides!!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time was lumped in with the bike. I did pretty well. Kind of tough getting the socks on but I was so thrilled to be done with the swim that I didn't really care!
Getting on the bike going uphill kind of sucked but I was able to navigate it with no problems.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 56s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 14.54 mile/hr
Comments:

T1 and T2 were lumped in with the bike. Actual time was 1h10min. I was proud of myself on the bike. I had my gearing all figured out and used it appropriately when hills were looming.
I passed some people...got passed by some others...but I stayed focused the whole time and felt really good.
Vomited up some salt water at about mile 4 but I didn't stop and just took on a little extra Gatorade.

Invest in Aerobars...it seems like everyone had them and with the ocean/canyon wind I think they would have made a positive difference.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T2 for me. I did the feet on top of the shoes thing that I had been practicing and it totally worked!!!
Racked the bike, took a few deep breaths, hit up a gel, threw on the shoes, and I was off...

Nothing...I was really pleased with T2
Run
  • 39m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

UGH...coming out of T2 I could not get my legs to work at all. I walked most of the big hill coming out and started running when I got to the top.
The whole first lap sucked...I just could not get my legs to switch to running mode. It was motivating to have my mom, dad, and D there to support me and they got me running as I started the 2nd lap...
Halfway through the second lap, two fellow clydes caught up to me and got me running again, we were talking and laughing at ourselves so that made things a little better and my gel kicked in to give me that boost that I needed.
Finishing felt awesome even though the run took me longer than I wanted but who really cares...I finished my second TRIATHLON!!!!

Spin more coming into T2 to get my left going...
Run more!!!!
MOre bricks!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade and oranges, light stretching and hugs from family and friends!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I only took 7 weeks to prep for this race. I had an OK base built (especially on the bike) but I think I could have used another 2-3 weeks of running and swimming to get ready. A bachelor party in TX last weekend probably didn't help things either...
I will get a better jump on things for next year...

Event comments:

I would totally do this race again next year. Tons of volunteer Corpsmen on the course and they were really supportive.
I liked the feeling of competing on a military base and it was cool to see the camraderie and competition among the different branches in the Military div.
Now that I have done another Tri in my life I think I am going to take a break and train for a 1/2 Mary...there is one in 10 weeks in Santa Clarita that I think is right up my alley!!!!

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:28 | 500 yards | 03m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/611
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleveless Body Glove
Course: It was supposed to be 500y, but it ended up more like 650y due to a severe north current. Course was a clockwise rectangle and my wave started about 250 yards down the beach from the first buoy. Wave 1 thought they were bad ass and went off right in front of the buoy...big mistake as about 1/3 of them ended up in the middle of the course and had to swim against the current to get around the first buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:56 | 18.64 miles | 14.54 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back. Moderate hills on the first 1/4, gradual incline with some flat stretches over the second 1/4, flat/gradual downhill (with a canyon headwind) for the third 1/4, and moderate hills over the final 1/4. A challenging course for me...I liked it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:14 | 03.11 miles | 12m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Up a 1/3 mile concrete launch ramp, and then two flat laps around the ACU-5 training facility. Actual distance was like 3.4 but my performance was so bad that it didn't really matter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes