BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-10-01 4:28 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: IM Louisville Here I Come!

OK, so the heading was a bit deceptive.  Originally the trip was so I could compete in IMLOU.  That became a non-starter with all the medical non-sense 2015 presented.  My entire extended family is in Southern Indiana, plus I have an athlete competing in IMLOU that I have been coaching all year so we decided the trip is still on.

Leaving tomorrow morning - 2,150 miles, a little sightseeing, the Grand Canyon, a big steak dinner in Amarillo, taking in the Ironman, probably a trip out to Churchill Downs and the best part will be time with family.  Yep, gonna be a relaxing trip!

What does everyone else have on tap for the next couple of days?

2015-10-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: IM Louisville Here I Come!
Originally posted by k9car363

OK, so the heading was a bit deceptive.  Originally the trip was so I could compete in IMLOU.  That became a non-starter with all the medical non-sense 2015 presented.  My entire extended family is in Southern Indiana, plus I have an athlete competing in IMLOU that I have been coaching all year so we decided the trip is still on.

Leaving tomorrow morning - 2,150 miles, a little sightseeing, the Grand Canyon, a big steak dinner in Amarillo, taking in the Ironman, probably a trip out to Churchill Downs and the best part will be time with family.  Yep, gonna be a relaxing trip!

Have a great time on your road trip Scott!

Nothing happening for me this weekend - I'm just getting back into my training routine.
2015-10-02 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: IM Louisville Here I Come!

Scott - Your trip sounds great.  Quite a long way though, eh.  When I read, "IM Louisville here I come!" I thought it was Scott (Echo Lake) saying he had decided to race IMLOU.  

I don't have much planned for the remainder of this year other than my 20km "To the Tunnel" Run coming up November 1st.  But, I have been looking at and considering signing up for a half marathon October 11th in Kelowna (1 hour north of here).  My runs in my races have been challenging for me but I'm wondering if I could handle a dedicated run better and with less knee problems.  So, I've been debating the pro and con of whether or not I could handle the HM and then recover and run the Tunnel run 3 weeks later.  

I am starting easy workouts for swimming in the pool and I am running regularly but I haven't been on my bike for a few weeks.  I want to get a saddle fit before I resume riding.  My wife signed me up for regular spinning classes starting Nov 3rd (Tues/ Thurs/ Sat) with a coach.  I'm not sure she's not trying to kill me though. The sessions are pretty intense.

2015-10-02 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: IM Louisville Weekend

Hope you have a great trip, Scott.

For me, I'm just trying to run myself back into shape. I managed a five miler at an overall average 8:15 pace yesterday. But, it's not nearly as decent as it sounds. I was gasping for air so I stopped several times to let my HR fall back into range and stopped the clock during the recovery. No way I could have held that pace without the rest breaks. Even though I was short of air, it felt good to cruise along for a while at a sub 8:00 pace.

Nine miler easy tomorrow, long bike ride on Sunday.

After that, my workouts will be deposited firmly in the back seat. My wife and I are leaving for a 10 day trip to England on Wednesday...and I don't plan to worry much about my workout regimen while I'm gone!

Have a great weekend everyone!
2015-10-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Spencer, New York
Have a great vacation, Steve!
Here is a belated race report for my first cross-country race.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
I have another one coming up Sunday, and another good day is forecast. Too bad the nice weather doesn't last as long as the xc season.
Deb
2015-10-07 5:44 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Deb - I can see how you could get lost on that course! Great job on the race.

Glad to see people are still racing and enjoying the last of the nice weather.

Me I'm stuck with running on the dreamill, 108 yesterday, not conducive to running outside, at least for me!

Scott - have fun in Louisville, I was just there a month ago, unfortunately only for a few days, but seems like a nice town. I hope to get back there next year for a little more time since both my daughters will be interning there.

Steve - I hope sometime I can complain about running 5 miles at a 8:15 pace regardless of how winded I am

George - Good luck on your up coming 20k! and the HM if you decide on it.

Dan

2015-10-08 8:09 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Just catching up again. Sounds like some fun travel and racing still going on with the group.

I've gotten back into a bit of running after a prolonged R&R stretch after my HIM. I'm signed up for the Hartford Half Marathon being held this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to doing another race, but not sure what kind of time I'll put up. Anything better than a 2:00 finish would be good. I'm guessing 2:05 is more realistic given my lack of recent speed work and lingering tendonitis.

I also made the decision to finally get serious about improving my swim. Signed up for an 8 week fall clinic with the local Tri swim coach. Hoping the discipline of regular swims with a coach on deck will bring improvement.

Fall is in full swing here in New England. I really enjoy this time of year and will hold on as long as I can before heading indoors to train.

Happy training.

Dave
2015-10-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Dave, how did your HM in Hartford go?
Here is a brief race report on a brief race:
Another nice thing about these races is that they come pretty frequently. If I do enough of them I might learn how to break through all kinds of barriers.
Deb
2015-10-13 8:14 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Deb,

Sounds like a beautiful setting for your cross country race. Enjoyed reading your report. Think I love fall running as much as you do.

The Hartford half was a lot of fun. There were 5,000 entrants in the half and another 2,000 running the full, so it was quite an exciting race atmosphere on a picture perfect day. I didn't set the world on fire, finishing in 1:59:26, or a 9:07/mile pace. This is much slower than my 8:45 race pace at this distance in the spring . It didn't mind too much, though, since I was focused on helping about ten half marathon runners reach PR's in this race. The good news is that almost all of them did so.

The background is that my coach suggested I take 6-8 weeks of reduced training intensity and volume after the Timberman HIM. So instead of pushing for a PR in the Hartford race, he asked me to be a pacing coach for a dozen runners who are in his 10:30-10:45/mile group. Must say that I've had a ball over the last two months helping this group practice pacing, negative splitting, learning to run hills, and just generally encouraging them as they built up to the half marathon mileage. After months of doing almost all solo training, this stretch has been a welcome change. Spending time with enthusiastic new runners really helped recharge my batteries! I could barely wait for Saturday mornings to see my running crew.

The fun is over, though, since I signed up for the Charleston, SC, half marathon being held in January. Time to get back to more serious run training.

Dave
2015-10-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Subject: 5K trail run last Saturday
As I increased my distance over the last year, my pace slowed down even when running shorter distances. This fall my run-training focus is on increasing my speed over shorter distances (5K and 10K). As part of that effort, I raced in a 5K trail run on Saturday. Here's the report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

My time was 26:35.4, an 8:35 min/mile pace. I'm hoping to get my 5K pace below 8 min/mile.

Did anyone else race over the weekend?
2015-10-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: 5K trail run last Saturday

Scott - I tried to go to your race report but I just get a blank screen.  

I didn't race on the weekend but I ran 16km yesterday on an old railway bed.  It's uphill 2-3% for 8km then turned around and ran back downhill the whole way.  I was way slower than your time so I am very envious.  No doubt you'll reach your 8min/ mile goal.  

2015-10-21 7:25 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

As I increased my distance over the last year, my pace slowed down even when running shorter distances. This fall my run-training focus is on increasing my speed over shorter distances (5K and 10K). As part of that effort, I raced in a 5K trail run on Saturday. Here's the report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

My time was 26:35.4, an 8:35 min/mile pace. I'm hoping to get my 5K pace below 8 min/mile.

Did anyone else race over the weekend?

Yeah, Scott, your race report seems to be saved just as a draft.
And usually, your pace will be considerably slower on a trail than a road 5k. The surface is slower, never mind the elevations.

I'm doing a road 5k this Saturday, flat, hard surface, accurately measured. I've done it twice before, last year a PR of 27:18. I'm hoping to beat that, and maybe even break 27:00. Working on my go-ahead-bust-your-gut 5k mentality.

Hey, has anyone here ever done the NYC Triathlon?

Deb
2015-10-21 12:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by ok2try

Yeah, Scott, your race report seems to be saved just as a draft.
And usually, your pace will be considerably slower on a trail than a road 5k. The surface is slower, never mind the elevations.

I'm doing a road 5k this Saturday, flat, hard surface, accurately measured. I've done it twice before, last year a PR of 27:18. I'm hoping to beat that, and maybe even break 27:00. Working on my go-ahead-bust-your-gut 5k mentality.

Hey, has anyone here ever done the NYC Triathlon?

Deb

Thanks Deb,

The race report should be public now.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

It wasn't your traditional trail run. It was a flat course and about half of it was paved. The other half was a bit twisty and soft so it may have slowed me down a bit. I'll be running a more traditional 5K road race next month. That may give me a better idea of my true 5K speed (in race conditions).

Good luck on your 5K this weekend!
2015-10-21 1:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Scott - I tried to go to your race report but I just get a blank screen.  

I didn't race on the weekend but I ran 16km yesterday on an old railway bed.  It's uphill 2-3% for 8km then turned around and ran back downhill the whole way.  I was way slower than your time so I am very envious.  No doubt you'll reach your 8min/ mile goal.  

George,

We also have a lot of trails made from old railway beds in our area. They are really nice - straight, wide, and never too steep!

Don't be too envious. That time/pace is for a 5K, my 10K+ pace is substantially slower. I have an issue with durability in the longer races and end up doing a lot of walking (usually 1 min run and 10 sec walk, repeat, for 10K's).

I plan to address my run durability issue after I get my 5K speed back to a reasonable level. Any suggestions from the group?
2015-10-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I plan to address my run durability issue after I get my 5K speed back to a reasonable level. Any suggestions from the group?

Scott,

I have become a HUGE fan of the run/walk strategy.  That began after last year's Ironman World Championships when Sebastian Kienle ran the IM marathon at a 6:35/mile pace utilizing a run/walk strategy by walking EVERY single aid station (aid stations were ~ every mile and he walked +/- 30-seconds at every aid station).  Two weeks ago I had an athlete I have been coaching complete Ironman Louisville.  He utilized a run/walk strategy during the marathon by walking 30-steps at every aid station (~ every mile).  He completed the marathon at a 9:07 pace.  He is 26 and was resistant to the idea of a run/walk strategy.  It took a fair amount to convince him to try it, and once he did, there was no going back. (I attached a screenshot of the Training Peaks graph of his run below.  You can pretty clearly see the pace and HR drop every mile or so).

I know you are talking about a 5K and not a marathon, however I suspect that you can make a run/walk strategy work for you.  Perhaps something like 3 minutes run, 30-seconds walk.  Obviously it is something you would need to refine in training but I suspect there is a magic ratio that will work well.

Jeff Galloway, the run/walk guru (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/) has coached athletes to a sub 6:00/mile pace using a run/walk strategy so there must be something to it.

Just my two cents.

Edited by k9car363 2015-10-21 2:41 PM

(run-walk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
run-walk.jpg (41KB - 21 downloads)
2015-10-21 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Back from England, on to Atlanta
Glad to be back home, if only for a day. My wife and I had a spectacular 10 day vacation to England. We walked our fannies off from 9-9 everyday. I'm home, but it's back to work at a trade show in Atlanta.

An unfortunate outcome of the travel has been zero training. But that's good news and bad news. The bad news is I'm fat and out of shape. The good news is I'm getting pumped to really get back to training. I'm thinking it may be time to work up to a spring marathon and shoot for a Boston qualifying time. Why not? As the philosopher said, "If your goals aren't high, what good are they?"

George--the World Championships are in Penticton in 2017. That means you and I both need to find a way to make our national teams next year since we can literally drive to the races. How often will that happen?

I'm back home next Monday and I'll see if I can muster something more than just talk.

Best to everyone.

Steve .

2015-10-22 7:15 AM

User image

I have become a HUGE fan of the run/walk strategy.  That began after last year's Ironman World Championships when Sebastian Kienle ran the IM marathon at a 6:35/mile pace utilizing a run/walk strategy by walking EVERY single aid station (aid stations were ~ every mile and he walked +/- 30-seconds at every aid station).  Two weeks ago I had an athlete I have been coaching complete Ironman Louisville.  He utilized a run/walk strategy during the marathon by walking 30-steps at every aid station (~ every mile).  He completed the marathon at a 9:07 pace.  He is 26 and was resistant to the idea of a run/walk strategy.  It took a fair amount to convince him to try it, and once he did, there was no going back. (I attached a screenshot of the Training Peaks graph of his run below.  You can pretty clearly see the pace and HR drop every mile or so).

I know you are talking about a 5K and not a marathon, however I suspect that you can make a run/walk strategy work for you.  Perhaps something like 3 minutes run, 30-seconds walk.  Obviously it is something you would need to refine in training but I suspect there is a magic ratio that will work well.

Jeff Galloway, the run/walk guru (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/) has coached athletes to a sub 6:00/mile pace using a run/walk strategy so there must be something to it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks Scott!

I use the Jeff Galloway run-walk-run method. It allowed me to start running again after rupturing my plantaris tendon (all other attempts led to re-injury). I intend to continue having walk breaks - especially in the longer distance races - but I'd rather run more than 1/10th of a mile at a stretch. It's really hard to get into a rhythm when you walk that frequently. I would prefer to run 1/2 mile, or a mile, between walk breaks (like your athlete). Your recommended 3-min/30-sec run/walk ratio would be a good target for this year. That's nearly 1/2 mile of running. I naturally run at about a 7:30 per mile pace during my run segments so a 3-min/30-sec ratio would give just under an 8 minute-per-mile average.

Any thought on frequency of run workouts? I currently run three days a week: short-speed, medium, and long distances. When working on run durability should I add another weekly workout and reduce the distances?

I love the graph for your athlete. Mine look similar, except the plateaus are much shorter.

Did the Louisville trip go well?
2015-10-22 11:58 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Any thought on frequency of run workouts? I currently run three days a week: short-speed, medium, and long distances. When working on run durability should I add another weekly workout and reduce the distances?

Did the Louisville trip go well?

Hey Scott,

Before we talk about frequency of workouts, I am curious what specifically you are referring to when you say you are working on 'run durability?'  Are you talking about endurance or are you talking about physical durability (i.e. injury prevention).

Had a great time in Louisville.  I have family in Southern Indiana so it was a dual purpose trip - the Ironman and family.  My athlete completed his Ironman in 12:10.25 which was well under the target of 13:00.  It was his first Ironman so his goal was to finish with a smile on his face.  To say the least, he exceeded his goal by a considerable margin!  It was crazy in Louisville.  The day before the Ironman they had a Susan B Komen Breast Cancer event so that was two major street closing events back to back.  All in all, it was a wonderful trip and the Ironman success just topped it off.

2015-10-22 1:00 PM

User image

Hey Scott,

Before we talk about frequency of workouts, I am curious what specifically you are referring to when you say you are working on 'run durability?'  Are you talking about endurance or are you talking about physical durability (i.e. injury prevention).

Had a great time in Louisville.  I have family in Southern Indiana so it was a dual purpose trip - the Ironman and family.  My athlete completed his Ironman in 12:10.25 which was well under the target of 13:00.  It was his first Ironman so his goal was to finish with a smile on his face.  To say the least, he exceeded his goal by a considerable margin!  It was crazy in Louisville.  The day before the Ironman they had a Susan B Komen Breast Cancer event so that was two major street closing events back to back.  All in all, it was a wonderful trip and the Ironman success just topped it off.

Injury prevention is my primary concern. I have a history of calf injuries starting with the rupture of my plantaris tendon about three years ago. I get plantar fasciitis in that leg if I train the running too hard. The run-walk-run strategy does a good job of avoiding the injuries. I want to work up to full Ironman distance late next summer, so I need to get a little more durable.

It sounds like Louisville was a lot of fun. My parent both grew up in Southern Indiana (Seymour and Scottsburg). I have a lot of cousins in that area, but I haven't been back for over 40 years.
2015-10-23 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Deb - Glad to hear running on trails is slower than on pavement.  I'm going back on Sunday for another run on the trail.  Even though it is only 2 - 3% grade I sure found it tiring the further I ran but it sure was fun to turn around and run back down.

Have fun in your run tomorrow.  NYC Triathlon no but I've heard a lot of good about NYC Marathon.

Scott (EchoLk) - At Challenge I ran between Aid Stns  and walked the Stns.  It seemed to work well for me although my knees kind of dictated what I could do.  I want to shorten my walks as I get stronger.  At the 3min : 30secs ratio I'd be quite comfortable at 9min : 1min.  I seem to need more time to get my heart rate to slow down.

Scott - Thanks for the Jeff Galloway link.

Steve - A "runner" friend wants to qualify for Boston 2017 to celebrate his 70th.  I've been toying with the idea of a marathon myself.  I'd be terribly slow but I started running at 61 and I'd like to finish a marathon just to do it.  Before 2011 I could never have considered the possibility.  I'm only hesitant because I don't want to commit myself to too many events for next year.  I was thinking of Portland or Wenatchee although I could also look at Vancouver (BC).

I definitely would like to be involved in the 2017 Worlds in any way I can (even if I just get to volunteer).  I live 4km/ 2.5mi from the start line.  My winter cycling coach is Kevin Cutjar who is the RD for Challenge and I will be talking to him next week about racing Challenge next year when there will only be the 3k/120K/30k race distance.  I'm not clear on how it works but I understand that there will be placements up to 10 deep for each age group for the Worlds.  If so I may have a very slight chance of getting a spot.

This was a good swim and run week for me.

2015-10-25 7:23 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Oh, how the weather has changed! Some days are not too nice out, including for Sunday's race. Here's the report:
At 27:03, a nice PR.
Next Sunday I've got another cross-country race coming up, a 6k this time. I'll swear to anyone that cross-country racing is superb for building raw running speed because the terrain and surfaces are more difficult than in road races, but the short distances don't allow for taking it easy as in longer trail runs. Xc is really intense. Another reason to love it (although the weather for November's races isn't likely to be so idyllic!)
Have a good week everyone.
Deb

2015-10-25 7:49 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try Oh, how the weather has changed! Some days are not too nice out, including for Sunday's race. Here's the report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... At 27:03, a nice PR. Next Sunday I've got another cross-country race coming up, a 6k this time. I'll swear to anyone that cross-country racing is superb for building raw running speed because the terrain and surfaces are more difficult than in road races, but the short distances don't allow for taking it easy as in longer trail runs. Xc is really intense. Another reason to love it (although the weather for November's races isn't likely to be so idyllic!) Have a good week everyone. Deb

Hey Deb,

I read your race report.

Yep, sadly  RPE has largely become a lost art as people increasingly rely on their GPS.  Don't get me wrong, GPS's are wonderful tools.  Unfortunately, people put blinders on, look at their GPS, and completely forget about what their bodies are telling them.  That doesn't always work out so well.

Good race report.  Sounds like a good learning experience.

2015-10-25 8:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Scott,

Injury prevention is my primary concern. I have a history of calf injuries starting with the rupture of my plantaris tendon about three years ago. I get plantar fasciitis in that leg if I train the running too hard. The run-walk-run strategy does a good job of avoiding the injuries. I want to work up to full Ironman distance late next summer, so I need to get a little more durable. It sounds like Louisville was a lot of fun. My parent both grew up in Southern Indiana (Seymour and Scottsburg). I have a lot of cousins in that area, but I haven't been back for over 40 years.

Hey Scott,

My family is in Deputy and Paris Crossing, ~15 mile southeast of Seymour.  We actually stayed in a hotel in Seymour for a week this time around (just easier than staying with family since we had things we were doing up in Columbus and Indianapolis, not to mention Louisville).  Wow, small world eh?

As to running - if it were me, I would probably go with 4-runs per week.  I like four runs vs. three as you can get a bit more mileage while allowing recovery.  Two short, one medium, and one long.  I would keep my long run not too long until I had really built up my leg strength.  I would also stay away from ANY speed work until I had a real strong base in my legs.  I would have a full day of rest BEFORE and AFTER my long run so I would use something like -

SunRest 
MonLong40%
TueRest 
WedShort15%
ThurRest 
FriMedium20%
SatShort15%

I would use something along the lines of the ratio I have in the chart.  The point being, your long run shouldn't be too long at first.  Obviously the "rest" days would probably be used for other training.  You may prefer to do your long run on the weekend, whatever works.  My point is to not pile all the runs on top of each other and allow your body to recover between runs.

Be VERY careful about how you ramp the mileage up!  No more than 10% per week.  I would probably go two weeks, ramp my mileage 10%, go two weeks, etc. - at least initially. That will give your legs time to adapt and build strength slowly.  It will stretch out building volume, but it will do it safely without injury!  Another thing, if your goal is an Ironman, you don't really need to do any speed work.  You aren't going to be running any faster than Z2.

Down the road, as you gain strength and durability in your legs, one of the short runs can become a speed workout (if necessary, otherwise a brick workout off the bike), the other short run can become a brick after a cycling workout, the medium workout can become a tempo run and the long run will continue to be your long Z2 run.

One other thing, if you haven't already done so, you might consider having someone who knows what they are about take a look at your running form and make sure there isn't something in your form predisposing you to injury.

Just my two cents.  Hope it helps you get an idea.

2015-10-26 5:52 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott,

Opps!  My bad!  Ignore those earlier ratios.  You want to keep your long run less than 35% of total weekly volume, at least initially.  I had a whole page full of numbers and copied the wrong ones, didn't catch the error until this morning.  Sorry.

You might consider these ratios instead:

L - 35%

M - 25%

S - 20% x 2

2015-10-29 6:35 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
I hate it when I go for a run and there's a fierce headwind (15-20 mph) on the way out; I tell myself "at least it'll be nice on the way back"; but on the way back, it seems to have reversed direction and is still in my face! Not fair!
Hope everyone's having a good week. Anything fun on tap for the weekend?
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open