United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 42m 20s
Overall Rank = 279/1085
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/198
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Colorado Springs on Friday and checked into the hotel. Lobo and a couple of buddy's and I then went to Manitou Springs to pick up our packets. We went back to the hotel and asked the Front desk where to eat good Italian Food and they sent us to Roman Villa's. This place was awesome! We has to wait a little bit, but the locals couldn't say enough about it. It was worth the wait!
Event warmup:

I woke up at 5am and ate a bagel w/ peanut butter and a banana and drank some coffe. I packed my bag to take to the top of the mountain the night before, so all I really needed to do was put on my gear and I was ready to go.

We arrived in Manitou Springs aroung 6:30 and our wave was going off first at 7am. So, I checked my bag to take to the top and took some pictures with Lobo and before we knew it...WE WERE OFF!
Run
  • 3h 42m 20s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 16m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I really didn't train specifically for the race, but have built a pretty good aerobic base with triathlon training. I was actually able to maintain a pretty good pace of running and fast hiking throughout the race. I was able to pass a lot of people on top the passed me on the bottom.

This run is probably the most challenging mentally and phisically that I have done. The last three miles usually will account for 30% of your total time. The lack of oxygen really comes into play and people tend to hug the large rocks for support! The first year I did this run I was doing a lot of hugging!
What would you do differently?:

Train specific for this race, but I like triathlon's too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my bag and put on my jacket and sweats. Ate some oranges and grapes while I was waiting for Lobo and other buddy to finish. One of my buddies that went has a cast on his foot, so he was able to drive my car to the peak and we didn't have to take the shuttle and bus back to Manitou Springs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training at higher altitudes and running more.

Event comments:

This race is one of the most rewarding to finish! I would recommend this race who's looking for something different to do, but you might get hooked. Some people even do the Ascent and then the Marathon the next day...Crazy!

Very Organized with a lot of aid stations with GREAT volunteer's.

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:42:20 | 13.32 miles | 16m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/198
Overall: 279/1085
Performance: Average
Course: Almost 8,000 ft elevation gain of switch backs at first then pretty much straight up with the last three miles above tree line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 9:22 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent

2006-08-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: #518179

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
Another great race. Next year we'll do La Luz more...then you can put the smack down on your brother and become mountain king of the family.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed