General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern 'Orillia' Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Northern 'Orillia' Triathlon - Try-a-Tri - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orillia, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 32s
Overall Rank = 82/258
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Pre-race routine:

Over the past two weeks I've been playing with my bike setup. It is perhaps not the best thing to do right in the middle of the season, but what's done is done.

I tried flipping the seat post around and moving the seat forward and shortening the stem all to get into a more 'tri' position. After a long ride, I realized that I just didn't like it. I was hanging completely over the front wheel and while I didn't feel that the bike was twitchy, I wasn't happy with the position. I did however, think that the shorter stem worked. It put my upper torso in a better position where I wasn't as stretched out.

Talking about not changing stuff mid season, how about just before a race? Also not a good idea. I've been bad. The night before the Northern Triathlon, I moved the aerobars closer together and adjusted the cups to hold my arm better.
Event warmup:

This time around I gave myself some time to have a full warm-up prior to the event start. I started off with a short bike ride to test out the new aerobar position (something I really liked), followed by a run and then a swim. I'm so glad I did that swim warm-up because I had an awful lot of butterflies about the swim. But, once I got in the water and swam for about 100m I felt completely relaxed. That short little swim really boosted my confidence.
Swim
  • 11m 38s
  • 375 meters
  • 03m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Knowing that I was a slower swimmer I held off a bit and waited for the rest of my wave to go out before jumping in the water. To my surprise within a couple of seconds I was catching up to the back of the back. I guess my swimming improved since last time. Before I knew it I had legs kicking me in the shoulders and I was elbowing others. Having always been at the back, this is not something that I was familiar with. Not really believing that it was my swimming that allowed me to catch up, I hung back a bit and let the field go out a bit only to catch up to them again.

By this time we were halfway out to the first buoy and the water was getting really choppy due to the wind. The swells lifted me out of the water a couple of times and dumped some good old H2O down my throat which caught me by surprise.

Due to the choppiness of the water and the struggle to get around other swimmers I really tired myself out and had to resort to swimming on my back a couple of times to catch my breath. As a result, I felt my swimming was below average, and though my pace time shows an improvement from my last tri, I think I could have done much better.
What would you do differently?:

Not being used to swimming with others around me, I was a bit timid about kicking or hitting others and as a result I held back too much. Next time, I will have to be more aggressive and swim through or around the other competitors. As for the choppiness, the only thing I can do there is to get more open water swims under my belt.

A friend of mine who was at the event videotaped my swim and I noticed a couple of things: 1) I have a nice long and streamlined reach, 2) I over rotate when I breathe on my right causing my right elbow to cross my centreline, and 3) I sometimes lift my head to catch my breath instead of rotating by torso. This is all good stuff to see and I will keep it all in mind during future workouts.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No T1 time was captured for the Try-a-Tri races. Not sure why.
Bike
  • 24m 26s
  • 10 kms
  • 24.56 km/hr
Comments:

Not much to comment on. Cadence was good. Position was good. I rode on the aerobars most of the time as I felt really comfortable with my new setup. Speed was okay but not great. My average speed needs to increase which means I need to increase my interval training. My overall rank (38/258) is good but I should be able to do better than that.

The last down hill before coming into the dismount area was quite steep and I was going at a pretty good clip. When I got on the breaks to slow down for the left hander I locked up both wheels and the bike started twitching left and right. Due to my car racing background I have some experience with balance and weight transfer which really saved my butt 'cause that spill would have been nasty.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No T2 time was captured for the Try-a-Tri races. Not sure why.
Run
  • 14m 27s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 47s  min/km
Comments:

My run was okay, but not great. I have made some fairly large improvements in my run training and I was really expecting to have done better. Well, I guess I did pace wise but I was still surprised that I had to resort to walking a couple of times as my heart rate was pegged in zone 5a/5b most of the time which is pretty tough to maintain.
Post race
Event comments:

Overall, it was a great race. I loved the fact that there were so many competitors there and the cooler temperatures certainly felt good during the bike and run portions.

Given that I was just coming off of having a nasty cold and having only slept for 2.5 hours the night before, I was surprised to see my results and an improvement in my pace for the swim and run portions. That absolutely made the event for me.

Race photos can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/ctenche/northern_orillia_triathlon_2006

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:38 | 375 meters | 03m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/29
Overall: 160/258
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline full suit
Course: Triangular out and back in a clockwise direction.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:24:26 | 10 kms | 24.56 km/hr
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 38/258
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly out and back course with a long gradual climb right off the bat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:14:27 | 02.5 kms | 05m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 153/258
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-23 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: Northern 'Orillia' Triathlon - Try-a-Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern 'Orillia' Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Rss Feed