General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedal Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-07 6:23 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Pedal Suggestions
After about three years doing triathlon on my cyclocross (with moderate success ;-), I finally purchased my first triathlon bike. I went with an entry level Felt - B14. I am not certain about which pedals to buy for the bike. I have a new pair of LG X-Speed shoes. Any suggestions on pedals would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Todd

2015-02-07 7:26 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Pedal Suggestions
Definitely go with road pedals/cleats as opposed to mountain bike type. The main options would be: Look Keo series, Shimano, or Speedplay. I like the Look Keo type for overall ease of use, reliability etc. A really inexpensive option is that Exustar makes a Keo compatible set of pedals that can be purchased for around $30! I bought a pair of these for my "extra" road bike and once broken in, they have done great for the roughly 600miles I've so far put on them. They did need a little more tinkering with the adjustment initially to get them to release just right compared to the Leo Keo Max that I spent about $100 on.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Speedplay, but ultimately decided against them because it seemed that you could easily "clog" up the cleats if you needed to run through a grassy or dirty transition area before mounting.
2015-02-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: #5091400

User image

I had Shimano Ultegra pedals and switched to Look Keo classics. They were lighter and look a hell of a lot cooler. Got mine new on eBay for $65. You could spend the extra cash on the Max series, but for me, the weight difference did not justify the extra $50+.

Good luck.
2015-02-07 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Seems to me that pedal choice is 1) a very personal decision; 2) often a subject of over thinking.

My 2 cents worth:
1) Typical road pedals/cleats (Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Time road pedals). Plus: Large cleat and pedal engagement area means less likely to develop hot spots. Minus: Big cleat hard to walk in and because of softish plastic will wear down.

2) Speedplay: Plus: Very knee friendly, lots of float. Minus: cleat can get clogged, big metal cleat tough to run in during transitions

3) MTB pedals (Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Crank Bros eggbeaters). Plus: Absolutely bulletproof pedals, SPD cleats used on most gym spin cycles. Minus: A bit heavy for most, smaller metal cleat but still not great for running in transition.

My experience: I have been experimenting with this for years, have nearly one of all of the above pedal types, and my conclusion is that you cannot really make a mistake. For me, I currently have a set of Shimano MTB (XT) pedals on my tri bike. This allows me to use the same shoes for the gym spin bikes and my own bike. Further, these pedals hold up great to huge amounts of mileage, I have 2K+ miles on my current pair - virtually factory new. As I get closer to racing season I will change out to my Time iCLIC pedals. The cleats on these wear a bit easily and I am a bit dubious that these pedals can handle the huge mileage that the XTs can (although this is only my impression), but are uber easy to get in/out of and running on these cleats is easy (I don't leave my shoes clipped on the bike).
2015-02-08 5:18 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I would highly recommend SpeedPlay Zero's. Great float (and fully, independently adjustable heal in/out float), but most importantly, double sided pedals so you don't have to look for the pedal to clip in. I've seen more crashes in bike mount because of that than anything else.

... and don't worry too much about the cleat getting clogged up with gunk in transition... Never had a problem in my many years of using them. But they a bit more of a challenge to run in than for example Look or Shimano cleats, but not prohibitively so.
2015-02-08 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I am a fan of the Look Keo pedals. I have just replaced them (like for like) after 9 years of use. I like the wide platform and their ease of clipping into and out of, although the negatives of this type of design are that you have to get used to them before you can clip in without looking and if you run through mud (or snow) it can cause problems.

2015-02-08 7:01 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Regular
Wow, thank you all for the excellent and thorough feedback! You guys rock! I decided to go with the Look Keo MAX 2 - White and Red! Now, I hope to ride my new bike with new pedals soon..

Thanks again BTers!

Todd
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedal Suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suggestions for Pedals/Shoes?

Started by afrotcdan
Views: 763 Posts: 6

2013-04-15 12:46 PM afrotcdan

Advice for pedaling....normal pedals

Started by gomom_shell
Views: 1038 Posts: 6

2010-07-26 10:09 PM gomom_shell

MTB pedal vs. Road Pedal

Started by mwhitely
Views: 4708 Posts: 17

2009-12-29 9:42 PM zr140th

Pedal suggestions?

Started by kcovert1
Views: 1026 Posts: 12

2009-01-05 4:13 PM Daremo

ATB Pedals vs. SPD Pedals

Started by PGilger
Views: 2861 Posts: 5

2006-09-04 1:05 PM spokes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 1
Efficiency and energy conservation are key to faster cycling

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : October 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
The Quattro pedal is Crank Brothers’ formal offering for the road cycling set. The company has taken their simple but effective EggBeater design and added a low profile platform.