Ram Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 54s
Overall Rank = 22/6068
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/152
Pre-race routine:

Sllept late, around 11:30am and woke up at 5:05am and got out of the house around 5:40am or so - got there and was parked by 6:15am. Ate a rice cake with peanut butter and banana along with a glass of water. Wore my trusty NYC Edition Kinvara 5 that I got and wore at NYC Marathon. Been using it exclusively as a race shoe - and it has been 5 races so far!
Event warmup:

Jogged half a mile to gear drop off area (which was indoors) and talked to some friends. Hit the porta-john then ran another 1.5 miles around Fair Park and back to the car. Got rid of jacket, sweats, beanie, and was in race gear (singlet, shorts, cap).

Took a Hammer gel about 15 minutes before start and also had an Endurolyte mineral pill about 5 minutes prior to start (good thing there was water). Got a bit cold at start since it was delayed almost 10 minutes.
Run
  • 19m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Lined up right behind the first row which was great as I didn't have to worry to much about having to pace people. Some people went out of the gate quick as I noticed that I was running right around 6:00/mile pace the first quarter mile and was still having some people get ahead of me. I slowed myself down and settled into around a 6:20/mile pace. By the end of the first mile, I was starting to reel in people. There were a lot of young runners who started out quick and started fading but kept myself motivated by racing a younger guy wearing an ironman shirt and stars-and-stripes tights. Passed him about a mile through along with a high school female. They both passed me back in less than a quarter mile as I caught up to the next runner and slowed a bit. Passed the girl back then the stars/stripes guy. At Mile 2, I noticed I was right around 12:40 elapsed time and had a shot sub-20 minutes. Stars/Stripes guy passed me back on the uphill bridge near Mile 3, but I re-passed him on the downhill and never saw him again. Managed to track down one more guy and turned for finish straight with under 100m to go and could see the clock counting down with a little over 19 minutes. I was cramping but tried to relax and hold on as I had perfect weather and a fast course so a PR was possible. One guy managed to out-sprint me on the finish straight but I came in just under the 20:00 mark with an official time of 19:54 (6:20/mile pace)
What would you do differently?:

Not much - PR race by about 20 seconds so I cannot complain. My Garmin shows I slowed down a bit near the water stations and I just have to mentally get past that. I probably had another 5 seconds or so max to squeeze out given that I stayed off running the last week and I had the slightest tightness on my hamstring around Mile 2. Fortunately, it did not get worse.

Very happy as this is 2 races out of 2 that I finished first in my age group (and also was within the Top 1% overall
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and jogged to car to get jacket and gloves as it was getting cold. Had recovery shake. Normatec session at home afterwards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury during 5K race about a month ago that limited training. Will continue to focus on 5K but may stretch out a bit to 10K distance. Next race will likely be a 10K to see how long I can hold speed.

Event comments:

Probably one of the biggest if not the biggest 5k/15K race in Dallas (definitely the biggest that is shorter than a half-marathon) with about 13K participants (both 5K and 10K). Just a bit bummed there were no Age Group awards though I have to say that the nice hoodie that was part of registration was probably better than a medal (they still showed AG results online anyway)!

Last updated: 2015-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:54 | 05 kms | 03m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 1/152
Overall: 22/6068
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/691892413
Course: Loop around Fair Park - fairly flat with only about 65ft of elevation
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-02-07 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Hot Chocolate 5k - Dallas
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hot Chocolate 5k - Dallas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot Chocolate 5K

Started by kim39
Views: 984 Posts: 1

2010-11-08 8:31 AM kim39

Hot Chocolate 5K

Started by stard0rk3
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2010-11-07 11:08 AM stard0rk3

Hoboken on Hudson Hot Chocolate 5K

Started by KelliD
Views: 848 Posts: 1

2010-02-16 8:00 AM KelliD

Hoboken on Hudson Hot Chocolate 5K

Started by kje610
Views: 794 Posts: 1

2010-02-15 10:02 AM kje610

Hot Chocolate 5k

Started by crowny2
Views: 1496 Posts: 5

2008-11-05 6:29 AM got2run
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.

date : August 10, 2010
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.

date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.
date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.