Race Awesome
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m
Overall Rank = 13/154
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Usual, except added about 300mg sodium to my white rice/egg mix.
Had an Accel-Gel 10 minutes before race start
Event warmup:

Little more extended run at a faster pace that helped me work up a light sweat in the morning sun. Felt much better going into race from this
Run
  • 07m 46s
  • 1.28 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The lead pack in the race was flying. Did my best to keep up , ended up strung out in second group. Ran my first sub 6 minute mile within race ever. Though sunny, air was still a little chilly for me for that heavy breathing. Can't wait for 80 degree weather.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Best opening duathlon run thus far. Content
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Nice to have this T1 coming off that last brutal soggy frozen one in last du. I was in an out pretty quickly.

Could really have only been faster if I didn't spend the extra, I don't know, 15 seconds squeezing in few calming deep breaths
Bike
  • 32m 55s
  • 11.16 miles
  • 20.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt great. Went hard, passed few. Dealt with all the tri bike folks out there, I had to be the fastest one on a roadie that's for sure. It felt good, but it was a bit frustrating at Northern section. I took U turn, corners aggressively and it paid off, but I do wonder if I'd enjoy having some clip on aero bars to use. My cadence sensor went on the fritz right before race :(
I hydrated according to feel and prep before final run, where I fear the dreaded cramping.

Perhaps work on my lines a little better. It got crowded at times and I tried not to draft, but I should just hold my line more consistently. Suck it up and stay deep in drops for more aero. Go even faster on my downhill and sprint straightaways. It was clearly a strength of mine in the race. Analyze course better and KNOW best points to hydrate where aero loss can be minimized
Transition 2
  • 50m 6s
Comments:

I was extraordinarily pleased with this transition. I was in an out smoothly. Transitions have been a weak point and I am improving

Nothing
Run
  • 08m 57s
  • 1.26 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt like a TON after that bike. Quads pumped, Hammies pumped and lil tight. It took a while (which this race DID NOT HAVE) to feel a little looser to run. By then, my pace was slower than I'd hoped.

More VO2 intervals to just get faster. Maybe I could do few more hard bike -> run bricks to further acclimate to running off hard bike leg pumped sessions. Towards end of last year I was doing too many bricks, and this year? Maybe too few?
Post race
Warm down:

Had to walk it out a bit and lightly stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I was pretty pleased with this performance. The top group kept early run paces of 5min/mile. I am not there yet, I'll take my 6 pace, I've come a long way in under a year

Event comments:

This event is hosted by one of Long Island's best bike shops. They have had the Fall version for years. This was their first installment of a Spring. They did a wonderful job and the volunteers were very helpful considering there were cones and some winding areas and turns that could've thrown people off or caused accidents.
Really enjoyed the day and the challenge of facing that tough lead pack pace. Keep working on my bike legs, I can hopefully make a dent in competitions there

Last updated: 2015-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:46 | 01.28 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 13/154
Performance: Good
Course: Park Loops - Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:32:55 | 11.16 miles | 20.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 9/154
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps around park. At North end there's a baby ascent into narrow northern section. Was a naggy little headwind coming off the shore, but nothing to complain about.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 50:06
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:08:57 | 01.26 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 21/154
Course: Same
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-13 12:15 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Cedar Creek Spring Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Creek Spring Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1495 Posts: 2

2014-09-11 1:18 PM Barkeep

Cedar Creek Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1302 Posts: 2

2014-09-10 2:23 PM m.a.burghart

2005 Caesar Creek Duathlon

Started by ihafij
Views: 1061 Posts: 1

2005-04-18 12:53 PM ihafij

Casears Creek Duathlon

Started by clightle
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2004-04-13 11:50 AM clightle

Caesar Creek Ohio Duathlon

Started by ihafij
Views: 1079 Posts: 1

2004-04-12 9:12 AM ihafij
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.