Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did my usual routine of shower, getting dressed, got my hydration and nutrition put together and got my usual race breakfast of V8 and a Cliff Bar. Met my friend at the hotel a few hours before the race then headed out. The race site was about 30 miles away so we wanted to get there early enough to get a good parking spot close to the finish line. On the way there it started to rain, no big deal, I was expecting this and came prepared with trash bag and cheep arm warmers that I could toss on the course.
Event warmup:

After the mandatory trip to the porta-potties we made our way to our start areas. I was planning on this being my A race of the year and was hoping for an end time of 5:20. I was feeling well rested and relaxed. I did some small jumps and moves to keep me warm and loose in the light rain. Before I knew it we where off!!
Run
  • 5h 53m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG where to begin on this one.....

Well as previously mentioned it was raining at the start line with rain in the forecast for the rest of the day. I know it was going to be cold and windy, but personally I like running in the soft rain and light wind. If conditions had stayed just like they where at the starting line things would have been perfect.

Around mile 3 the rain increased to what I'm still sure was small hail. It stung my shoulders and arms but it wasn't all that bad. After a bit it calmed down back to just rain. The wind was going a bit harder and the rain was coming down a little more but spirits where still high. The volunteers where still screaming and I was running fast and strong.

At Mile 10 I was on tack to get my PR that I had trained for. But it was to good to be true. Soon the clouds got darker and the rain stated coming down faster, the temps dropped and the wind picked up.

I slowed down my pace in the interest of not fighting the wind to much. At mile 16 a ground of us where stopped by a police sergeant. The race was cancelled. Buses where coming to pick us up. I saw my PR fly way with the wind.

I asked if we could still go on if we wanted to. The response was "We advise you don't but......" I heard no more. I was already across the street calling over my shoulder that I came this far in the wind and rain and I intended to finish it!! The look on the poor cops face as I went off. I'm sure he's not used to some girl telling him no then just leaving. I was determined come hell or high water I was going to finish!

There were much less people on the course now so pacing off others was out of the question. All the volunteers where called off, all the cops and barricades for traffic control and course support where pulled. All that remained where the occasional sign and arrows painted on the ground to show us the way.

I had half a bottle of my Tailwind left so now I had to do some serious rationing. With no more water stations open we where on our own for hydration and nutrition.

By mile 18 a group of 10 of us where playing leep frog. I made sure I was never the leader for the simple fact that I had no clue where I was going. Soon even our little ground was reduced down to 6. Buses where making rounds and picking up all those who had changed their minds.

By now the rain was coming down in sheets with visability poor at best. Wind was terrible and the temp had dropped even more. I was wearing just a tank top and shorts. Despite the fact that I was still running I was cold. I could see my breath and had goose bumps on my arms.

The city drainage system couldn't keep up and at times that water was over the top of our shoes. At one point I tripped over something underwater and almost fell. Several sets of hands reached out and caught me. However a few minutes later a lady in front of me did the same thing. Except this time we weren't quite quick enough and she hit the ground. Like a trooper she got up and kept going.

At mile 22 our group was in a long line. A lady named Ruth and I joined up to keep each other company. At one point we met up with another guy from our group standing at a corner. We realized that we had no clue where to go. With no signs and the pavement underwater we had no visual on the arrows. Finally we where able to splash around enough to see where we needed to go.

Despite all this the people of Champain where simply amazing, no other way to put it. Many people had their garage doors open and where offering shelter, food, and hot coffee. All this on their own with no guidance from the race officials. I was very much tempted to take shelter and the fresh hot coffee several times. But I was to afraid that if I'd stop and sit down I'd never get back up and going again. Several people even set up their own self serve stations with water, Gatorade, and bananas.

My phone was water logged and had shut off. I could only hope that I could get it turned back on and in working order back at the hotel room. Now with no way to contact my friend or mom to let them know I was ok my only option was to keep pressing forward.

Everyone's body had taken a beating. Our steady but slow run was reduced to a cross between a shuffle and a stumble. Our last few miles were done at a walk. We had passed the point of caring about our times, the finish line was closed anyway. We all agreed that at just being able to say that we finished in the conditions we where in made us winners.

By Mile 25 all the signs where gone. They were either blown down or taken down. Now all we had to guide us there the occasional arrows on the ground. At the 26 mile mark I was ready to cry. I was so close but my body felt like lead. Ruth and I summed up our last reserves and did our best to "run" across the field. A race official was there with the timing devise to record our unofficial times. I can say with full truthfulness that I've never been so happy t hear the beep or my finish time.

What would you do differently?:

I'm not to sure on this one. I'm happy that I finished what I started but wish I had brought a poncho to keep my top half dry and warm.
Post race
Warm down:

After we stumbled across the finish line it was hugs all around. We did it!! We took what Mother Nature dished out to us and we finished under the original cut off time. Despite the weather and almost getting lost a few times I finished 30 min past my original goal. I'll take it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, hail, wind, the course being closed down mid race.

Event comments:

Of course by the time we got to the stadium all the food stations where closed. My friend had some food waiting alone with some fresh water.

Last updated: 2015-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
05:53:31 | 26.2 miles | 13m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: This was what I can best describe as a Figure 8 type loop. It was mostly flat with a few minor hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-28 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Illinois Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Illinois Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Illinois Marathon

Started by Lyoshka
Views: 1763 Posts: 5

2010-05-16 5:30 PM BigDH

Illinois Marathon

Started by sladec11
Views: 788 Posts: 1

2010-05-02 2:21 PM sladec11

Illinois Marathon

Started by yeats
Views: 2088 Posts: 15

2009-04-22 9:27 AM morey1

Illinois Marathon

Started by Rycase
Views: 1195 Posts: 5

2009-04-13 4:56 PM MissKelly

Illinois Marathon

Started by MissKelly
Views: 2145 Posts: 14

2009-04-14 9:26 PM kenj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"