SCHS Cross County & Kansas Wildlife
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 07m 45s
Overall Rank = 2/10
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Pouring at 5am, so I slept in, trying to decide to go or not. Had a couple Special K bars at about 615am, & got a late start to the run. 13 miles out & I left at 7am. Oh well, nice small event, where their happy to wait for more runners.
Event warmup:

Arrived 10 minutes before race time; then they delayed by 15 minutes, so I was able to get in some stretching, but that was it.
Run
  • 54m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Misty rain & 62 degrees at race time made a perfect "small" event. Money went to support the local high school X Country team, & was put on by the team, parents, & coach (who also is my sister-in-law). Total participants including 2 mile & 10k was prbly 25.

I hadn't decided until I got there whether to run the 2 mile or the 10k since I hadn't done much the past several weeks. When I found out I wouldn't be 1 of a couple, I had to run the 10k - make it worth my entry fee. The local Asst X Country coach won the event - all times were slow.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, except maybe train harder, but I was concentrating more on other events. I kept the guy in front of me in my sight, & was able to finish the last 2 miles about 40 sec/mile master than the middle 2 miles so I caught him with about 200 yds left - so it went as planned. Just need to knock off about another 10 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked a few hundred yds, then had water & a few banana's. Small events, everyone doesn't really give you a chance to cool down - talk,talk,talk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Properly preparing for the even, but it was local, so I couldn't pass it up.

Event comments:

Hopefully the event will start growing again next yr. They haven't had it for a few yrs, & in it's glory days there were a couple hundred particpants.

Last updated: 2006-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:21 | 06.21 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/10
Performance: Good
Adjusted my time for the 10k time, as my garmin read 6.45 with perfect reception, & course had only been measured by a vehicle.
Course: Around Lake Scott State park, our only lake in the area. Course works out to almost perfectly be a 10k around the lake. Course was hilly last 2 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes