Challenge
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 42m 4s
Overall Rank = 447/657
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 73/91
Pre-race routine:

Normal routine. Able to sleep at home for this race, probably got 4+ hours of decent sleep (never sleep well the night before) got up at 4:30, in the car by 4:50. Stopped at D+D for a bagel and latte. I usually eat a banana 45 minutes before the start and totally spaced it.
Event warmup:

Got in a swim about 10 minutes before the start, swam 250 - 300 yards, with a couple of short pick ups to get the blood and heart rate moving.
Swim
  • 35m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt VERY good with the swim. Started in basically the second row. First 300 yards were very congested but not too much banging around. Rather than push hard to break free I allowed myself a little more time to bring up my pace. I would guess by half way to the first rounding I was in clean water. Someone drafted off my for most of the first leg as I constantly felt him tapping my toes, didn't bother me. Second leg I was mostly blind as it was dead into the sunrise. I mostly gauged by people around me and headed toward the splashing in front of me. I seemed to come up pretty close to the guide buoy each time. Rounded toward home and started to push harder, felt very in control. Last 200 yards again got very congested with random people from previous waves floundering all around. I did push around a sloppy group rather than go through them. Coming out of the water watch had my pace at 1:29 (good news) bad news it had me swimming 1.29 miles.... but all in all came out of the water top 30% (AG) top 25% (OA)
What would you do differently?:

Not to much, could push harder earlier. And not hesitate to hold a straight line through people. Also tinted goggles, but not sure how much that would've helped.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Ok tranistion, this is a hard ass half, so I wasn't trying to kill it through T1. It was still chilly out, I went with putting some smart wool socks on. Heavier than socks it might normally wear (if any) and took some time to get them on.

Not much, go with lighter socks?
Bike
  • 3h 19m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

(rank was at end of bike / not solely bike ranking)
Loving the new ride, and enjoying my time on it. It wants to go. Felt very strong all the way to the base of the big climb (mile 22). Crushed all the descents. No way the 8 mile climb is anything but torture, but got through it. Miles 30 - 35 were ok. M35 is the start of the out and back decent / climb. The climb out of the out and back I think started to do me in?? As around M45 I got cramps in lower left abductor and upper right quad. For the last 10+ miles I was fidgeting in the saddle a lot and unfocused. Went through 4 waves of cramps and happy to get off the bike. Also my mood went south for the last 45 minutes, which never happens.

um, listen to my coach who suggested maybe one week on the new bike was not enough time, or at least swap out for my old saddle? need more time on the new ride?

Nutrition??
In retrospect I was much less focused on keeping to consuming nutrition on schedule. I downed 2 bottles of Gatorade, almost 2 bottles of water, 3 gu's, one mini cliff bar, and took salt 4 times.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

given my mental state my transition was fine. thought I might encounter more cramping getting my running shoes on, but no issues. I stopped to pee right out of transition.
Run
  • 2h 42m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

What can be said?? They changed the run course to START with a climb for the first 1.25 miles. So I NEVER found my legs. In my previous halfs I've frankly gone a little to hard for the first mile or two and need to control that. Certainly wasn't an issue this day. My fastest mile was mile 4, all downhill, 9:50. Most miles were slower than I am able to do recovery runs when I am trying to run slow.... very frustrating.

not sure, avoid races with hills?
Post race
Warm down:

got in the ice bath for as long a I can stand and that felt great. Despite my disappointment in my performance I actually felt better immediately afterwards than in other half's. Usually I am totally spent, need to lay down, ab cramps, etc. Nothing other than drained mentally and physically.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

unsure

Last updated: 2015-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/91
Overall: 91/657
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot full sleeve 3.0
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:19:29 | 56 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/91
Overall: 254/657
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: hills
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:02 | 13.1 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/91
Overall: 91/657
Performance: Bad
Course: hills, hills and more hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-06-09 1:30 PM

New user
Branford
Subject: Challenge Quassy - Half Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Quassy - Half Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge Quassy - Half Course

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1335 Posts: 8

2015-06-11 1:56 PM juniperjen

OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Challenge Course

Started by BHannahs
Views: 1062 Posts: 3

2014-06-29 12:01 PM Fitzy

Started by gbyrdeaux
Views: 1134 Posts: 1

2014-06-24 11:29 AM gbyrdeaux

Started by jkuss14
Views: 1041 Posts: 1

2014-06-23 5:46 AM jkuss14

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2031 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.