General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 17s
Overall Rank = 353/1274
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 76/273
Pre-race routine:

my day started at 4:45 acutally i was up even before that time, the hotel i was staying at had this a/c unit in our room that kept me and my twin sister up throughout the night. plus i was nervous about the race, when i first decided that i wanted to become a triathlete this was my first race i registered for, even though i haven't even done a triathlon yet. so this race to me was my A race.
so got up took a shower had my banana and water and headed down to meet up with a few other women from my triathlon club (jenny,shauna,amy) and then my main support my twin sister. so we loaded up the suburban and headed to the race site. so we got there and my bike was already there b/c the night before we had to check in our bikes. so as i'm setting up my transition area, i went for my race belt and then my IG pink bib with my name on it (very cool) well no bib in my transition bag at all! so kept looking for it still nothing, so then i ran to the truck which was a good distance away and i pulled everything out and still no bib...then as i was standing there i started to cry. at this time it was 6:36am and my wave was going off at 7:08, so went back to the transition area and my club members told me to calm down, and talk to an offical so i did and they told me that i would be disqualified b/c have having no race #, well then i lost it even more. so at this time it was 6:51am and my transition wasn't even set up all the way and still no bib, so they decided to pull the back cover of a book and wrote my # on it. so now i needed to finish my transition area up and head down to the swim. at this time my mind wasn't as focused as i would of liked it to be.
Event warmup:

as for my warm up i never had one unless you want to count me running around trying to find my bib...
Swim
  • 23m 40s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

the swim felt good and the temperature was great, alot of bumping into other women. but for the most part i tried to keep focused
What would you do differently?:

i wouldn't do anything different with my swim, i did the best i could do.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

good transition for me, when i came out of the water i knew exactly where my bike was. the good thing about it was there was this little tree right near my transition area so i used that to spot where i needed to go.
also the last race i didn't put my socks on, well this time i did i knew my ride is stronger then my run, so i rather of lost a few seconds on this transition then my next one for the run.

i wouldn't do anything different with my transition.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 51s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

overall i loved this course, hills were challenging but i like that, a decent amount of the course was shaded.

i wish i would of been faster, i knew i had it in me, i feel anymore that my bike is the fastest part of the race. so going faster, thats what i would of done differently
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

good transition for me, except for one thing, i was heading out into the run and had to go back to my transition area, i forgot to put on my brace around my knee.

remember to put my brace on, thats what i would of done differently
Run
  • 32m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

my run...well lets see my goal was to be at an 8 or 8:30 min mile, and that didn't happen, i knew there were hills but with my knee i didn't want to over do it. so i walked one of the hills and ran the ramaining of the course. otherwise the coure was great.

what i would of done differently would been to run the whole course because my knee was totally fine after my run, even as i was running my ass off into the finish line, i felt GREAT!!!
Post race
Warm down:

went to this tent called ART (active release techniques) which delt with soft tissue treatment. were they took care of my knee and they just stretch my leg out and some massage therapy. IT FELT SO GOOD!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

what limited my performance to go fsater was my way of thinking, i should of went with my gut feeling about the run and just go for it. i'm having a hard time to just let go and not baby my knee so much, i've been doing everything i've been told and its at a point to were i know i'm able to run again, but alittle part of me holds back, just don't need to be injured anymore this year.

Event comments:

this race was great for me, loved the enthusiasm from the voluteers and also all the women who raced. it was an emotional event for me to see so many women achieve what they worked so hard for. there were times as i was standing on the side lines watching these women finish i got filled up just knowing how happy they were, thier smiles were from ear to ear when they heard their names being called out as they were running down the shoot to the finish line. WOW!

Last updated: 2006-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:40 | 1094 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/273
Overall: 299/1274
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: the swim course was swim up and back
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:51 | 18.64 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Overall: 268/1274
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: the bike course was a loop around, the roads were great, but the hills were hard but i got through them, actually this course for this race i really loved.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:17 | 03.11 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 0/1274
Performance: Average
Course: the oourse was through a park with some hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2006-08-27 8:17 PM
in reply to: #523546

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

Great job, and nice race report.

I am sorry to hear about the pre-race stress with the bib #. During the 2004 Olympic games, one of the gymnasts had lost her number, and was running around crazy. Eventually, a coach wrote the number on a piece of paper and taped it to the gymnast's back. So, it even happens to olympians.

That's awesome that your knee is feeling better. Now, you know not to hold back so much and you can kick some major a$$ at Marlton Lakes next weekend!!

2006-08-28 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Great Job Irongirl.   I am so happy for you, you worked hard all year for this race enjoy it!!!!
2006-08-28 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
CONGRATS of your race! Nice report. You overcame the bib number thing and perservered like a true athlete! It was an honor to be there cheering all of you on! Nice job!

Larry
2006-08-28 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Great job, triathlete!!!  I was there too, what a great race - I agree, the volunteers were awesome.
2006-08-28 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
San mateo

Glad that the start of the day was not an indication of how the rest of the race would be!!  Glad you had such a great time at your A race...next year?  You'll be 100% and bike/run as fast as you can without fear of injury

2006-08-29 10:35 AM

User image

Champion

Great job on the race.

Nice recovery from a nerve-shaking start.  Just remember though, when something like that happens at the start, the day can only get better. 

I love having a tree at transition.  My transition was in one of them for the Columbia Tri and, you're right, they make it so much easier to spot your row and bike.

Congrats IronGirl!

2006-08-29 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job on not letting the missing bib affect the rest of your race!

Congrats on the race and becoming a triathlete!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed