General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 40s
Overall Rank = 478/1274
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 100/274
Pre-race routine:

The day before started out not good. I got to the pre race meeting but when I headed to the park for the mandatory night-before bike racking, realized I had left my bike number at home. Had to go all the way home and back. I was stressed and forgetful all day.
Swim
  • 24m 2s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was tough for me. No being overswum or kicked, it just seemed really long. This is actually not a bad time for me, about average that I do in the pool, but I was pretty low in the rank for the swim and need to improve on that. I didn't like the in-water start - we treaded water for 4 minutes. My breathing was very good though. I did navigate fine and never got off course. Rounding the buoys was easy. One thing that really threw me was that the practice swim, I'm pretty sure, was measured wrong. I did that in 19 minutes so this was a disappointing time for me but later I heard from several friends that their times were about 5 minutes longer as well.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm. Maybe try to float some instead of treading water at the start. Other than that, just learn to swim faster. ;-)
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Terrible transition. Helmet not on right, forgot my gel that I intended to tuck in my sports bra. Good that I didn't change clothes though.

Take a minute to think so that I get it right instead of trying to rush so much and being forgetful!
Bike
  • 1h 09m 45s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 15.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike, I blew my training pr away by well over 10 minutes. I felt great the whole time, my gearing was smooth and my cadence was good so I didn't get very tired though I did have a little cramp in my right calf for a while. Not too bad though. I was passed by plenty of road bikes but no mtbs/hybrids passed me, and I actually passed at least a dozen, maybe more, road bikes. I just felt so positive and happy through the whole bike. I wish I could bottle that feeling up and save it!

Get a road bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Terrible, terrible transition. I'd tossed my towel on top of my race belt during T1 so when I went to leave the transition area, a race volunteer sent me back for my number. Damn it! I lost at least 30 seconds, maybe more. Also - getting off the bike had major jelly legs, that's never happened to me before and it was disconcerting.

Again - slow down and take more time. Be more organized to begin with instead of tossing things around in T1.
Run
  • 29m 29s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Super run. First mile was very fast, then I slowed some but finished strong. Not a PR by any means for this distance, but pretty good for the last leg of a triathlon.

Maybe slow down in the first mile, but probably not. Really, I felt good and probably should have tried to go a little faster overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to Lissy and Barry and the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Riding a mountain bike and not being a good swimmer!

Event comments:

Great race and a must do every year. Fantastic medals, nice race shirt, overall terrific organization and wonderful support & volunteers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:02 | 1094 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 161/274
Overall: 775/1274
Performance: Average
Suit: Sugoi top & tri shorts
Course: Horseshoe with two left turns out to a boat ramp exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:45 | 17.5 miles | 15.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 141/274
Overall: 632/1274
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Some hills, both long steady climbs and short steep. I knew this course well and it helped immensely.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:29 | 03.4 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/274
Overall: 202/1274
Performance: Good
Course: Around Centennial Lake with a small detour out to Old Annapolis Road and back into the park. Some climbs but not bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2006-08-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #523608

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

Great job!!! 

Totally with you on the swim start - I got lucky and found a rock I could stand on while we waited to go out. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed