DQ Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 4s
Overall Rank = 151/214
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

Easy one for us, what with the later race start and the site being just 40 or so minutes away; we didn't actually have to leave until 6am, meaning we could sleep in until five or so. Had packed everything up on Friday, even down to putting the bike on the back of the car, so all we had to do was get in and go. Made a Pom, Peach and Banana smoothie, and had half a bagel with almond butter, the standard. No bathroom trips, but also did not feel the need. Had worried about this since Friday was not, for some reason, a good day stomach-wise, but no issues today.
Event warmup:

Walked to the Vincentown firehouse to pick up my packet and walked back again. I see people warming up at these events but I've never done anything more than get in the water and swim; didn't get an opportunity to do that today because of the line at the firehouse.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 440 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've been doing longer swim sessions this season, including incorporating longer repeats (i.e. 200s, even 400s), in order to a) get used to being in the water longer and b) gain (hopefully) a psychological benefit from a 400m swim not seeming like that big a deal (because I'm doing it regularly). And although I think the benefit gained today was minimal, I do think it was there. I wasn't able to maintain my breathing on an even keel, as I'd hoped, getting into the gasping I typically experience, but that gasping didn't begin until later in the swim. And overall, the 400m open water distance didn't seem that big of a deal. Made it to the halfway point in 5:40, which pleased me greatly...but then I wondered later if that wasn't actually halfway and was maybe slightly less, since my first step onto the slippery, muddy bank out of the water was at about 12:15.
What would you do differently?:

Had hoped to beat 12 minutes and came close, so that makes this an acceptable swim. Going to continue with my program of longer training swims plus trying to get into the open water periodically.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Decent transition, although I probably looked a bit uncoordinated trying to get the DeSoto off my feet., like an over-sized penguin stuck in tar. I think the DeSoto is thicker at the ankles than my other wetsuits.

Nothing
Bike
  • 44m 55s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Much as I'd love to claim the 20mph pace, I don't believe the course was actually 15 miles...my Garmin registered it at well under that: 14.31 miles, leaving me a pace of 19.5, which is still pretty good for me. Difference between average and normalized power was relatively inconsequential (10w), so that means to rode pretty steadily. I felt good on the bike, maybe a little too good, since I struggled on the run some. Road had some rough spots in places, like most around here after last winter, but was overall good. And I loved this ride through pastoral farmland; I'd ride here regularly if it was just 20 minutes closer. I don't recall seeing more than a handful of cars during the race.

Nothing, I was pleased with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Another decent transition, with some shoe issues; not atypical.

Experts say to practice transitions, and I think that's a great idea (although I can't remember the last time I did it). What I need to practice in particular is getting my running shoes on, primarily standing on one foot while pulling a shoe on the other. I can balance well enough on my right foot while pulling on the left shoe. But once I move to balancing on the left foot, I end up tilting one way, then the other, before devolving into a series of increasingly ungainly (and comical) hops designed to keep me upright. Eventually, to forestall the inevitable fall, I'll just go back to two feet - the way God intended - and yank around on the shoe until it's on. How much time could I save by perfecting that little dance? Who knows? But it would sure be cool to get T2 under a minute.
Run
  • 31m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Given where I expected heat and humidity were going to be as the day drew on, I knew the run would make/break my expectations. Felt really good on the bike, so knew I had a cushion on my 1:36:00 goal. And I didn't feel bad at all starting out on the run. At mile 1, I was pacing around 9:30, by two miles I was closing on 10:00, which included about 30 seconds walking from the water stop. Walked for another minute after 22, 23 minutes...needed that walk to get breathing back under control, but it was a struggle after that. I picked the pace up again as we came back into town, thinking the finish was right around the corner. It wasn't, but I pushed to the next corner, thinking it was there...it wasn't. WTH?! Finally got there, wrapping up what the Garmin indicated was an almost 3.2 mile run, indicating a pace of 9:51.

I'd been running more for distance here lately, so didn't have a whole lot of 5K race pace intervals in training. Always good to do brick runs after bikes, including some near to race pace, so you don't forget how difficult it can be. I faded today, finishing slower than I'd hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

Props to the Vincentown Fire Department for setting up a firehose as an impromptu shower. The water was cold enough to give me chills but, damn, did it feel good. I went in twice! Even the little kids were enjoying it. Should've gone in a third time because shortly thereafter, packing up my gear, I got lightheaded and thought I was close to fainting. Women who set up next to me came to pack up, smiled and said, "Good job." I responded in kind, but felt like I was looking at her through a fog. Had to stand and take a couple of deep breaths to get things back to normal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training mainly, as I've focused more on longer, slower runs lately in anticipation of doing a longer race that life circumstances have since precluded.

Event comments:

I really like this race. I've never done it because it's held the same weekend as the Lake Lenape Tri, which I've always really enjoyed, but couldn't get into this year. Think TSW liked the spectating here too. So this might have to become a fixture on the schedule.

Last updated: 2015-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 440 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 204/214
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSote Bibjohn
Course: Straight out to the far end of the Vincentown Millpond and back, counterclockwise. Wore the DeSoto Bibjohn because I wanted the buoyancy but, expecting warm water, I didn't want to overheat. Water was cooler than I expected, but didn't take too long to acclimate. The Millpond was shallow enough to stand in most spots.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:55 | 15 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Overall: 116/214
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Scenic farmland ride out from Vincentown into the countryside, with one two-loop segment.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:21 | 03.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 172/214
Performance: Below average
Course: Out through Vincentown streets to wooded areas and farmland and back into the village. My Garmin registered almost 3.2 miles
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes