United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 43s
Overall Rank = 464/598
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Saturday for packet pick up and bike check in. Mari came along and we had a nice lunch before heading back.
Limited myself to one glass of wine at dinner and early to bed at 9:30pm.
Up at 3:00am. WW toast with peanut butter, a banana and one cup of coffee for breakfast.
Headed to St Pete at 4:00am, arriving just before 5:00am. High wind warnings on the Skyway bridge which were a bit ominous.
Parked at same parking garage from Saturday.
Walked to transition, got bodymarked and set up my transition area.
Transition closed at 7:00am, so walked down to swim start in time to see pros go off at 6:55am.
Just waited around swim start until my wave went off at 8:30am/.
Event warmup:

Got in water a couple of times while I was waiting for my wave. Swam 100yds or so each time, just trying to keep smooth, easy stroke going.
Swim
  • 13m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Found a relatively open spot in the pack and started out easy to get into good rhythm. Concentrated on good exhale to eliminate CO2 build-up.
Sighted about evey 10 strokes, Was easy as airport control tower was inline with buoy line and made goo sighting target.
First leg went well, Had some occasional bumping, but nothing too bad.
Went wide at turn to keep away from pack and looked to find flags at the finish. Water was pretty smooth. Some very light swells at about halfway and got a couple of tastes of saltwater, but was easy to time breathing to avoid.Got a little more congested as the pack compressed a bit heading to the beach. Got boxed in for a bit by a guys who went to a wild breaststrole. Moved to the left to get clear of him.
Water got shallow and most folks started walking in waist deep water about 25 yd from the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Best. Swim. Ever. Kept in rhythm and smooth the entire way. I think it was the first race when I didn't do one single stroke of breaststroke for sighting, or any other reason.

May have been able to push my tempo more, particularly towards the end, but not overly concerned since my main objective was keeping smooth and efficient.
Transition 1
  • 07m 14s
Comments:

About a 500 yd run from the beach exit up to the spirnt distance T1 entrance. Kind on trotted/jogged, really didn't go too hard.
Shoes on, helmet on and glassed on and off. Decided not to do flying mount due to pavers on roadway. Plus I had a rack close to Bike Out, so was only a short jog to the mount line. Clipped in smoothly and was off.

Go harded on the run up to T1. As mentioned, I was a bit paranoid about the streets with the pavers both mounting and slipping my feet in my shoes, so decided to leave them off the pedals.
Bike
  • 46m 33s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 15.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Lost a lot of time heading west into the wind on long run out past Tropicana Field.
Kept in gear to keep 90 cadence, but was only managing 12-14 mph. With tailwind coming back, jumped to +20mph, hitting almost 24mph. Was very careful transitioning from asphalt to pavers when coming back into downtown.
Passed a few follks who had passed me earliers. Had to be vigilant on the streets with the speed bumps after the Oly course merged back with the sprinters as everyone wanted to move the edge to avoid the bumps.
Pulled my feet ou of my shoes on the last smooth run of asphalt along the yacht basin before the 90 deg tright urn onto pavers in front of the Vinoy Hotel heading towards T2. As I rounded the turrn came upon a down rider being strapped onto a head/neck board by EMTs. Hope he was OK, but reinforced my apprehension about the paver sections. Got off at dismount line with no issues.

I would have liked to go harder, but was diliberately conservative in my pace. I'm a bit behind on where I would like to be in my bike conditioning, so that is where I need to focus going forward.
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Jogged through T2 with bike. I was on the far side, maybe about 100yds. Bike racked, helmet off, shoes on, grabbed visor and race belt and was off.

No real issues.
Run
  • 43m 59s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 14m 11s  min/km
Comments:

Very hot at first. Got out of my planned 3:1 r/w plan ariound mile. Walked quite a after 1st water station.
Not just heat, but had a few twinges in my calves, so didn't want to push too hard since it was ther first race of the season.
After the turnaround got some cloud cover and breeeze. Started to feel better and got into a better rhythm the last mile. Also nice that several residents were out with garden hoses for anyone who wanted to sprayed.
Love the finsh stretch with the grandstands on both sides and the announcer calling your name. Did a happy arm pump rather than my usual "click the watch" finsh.

Think poor run was mostly due to my lack of bike fitness with the heat a secondary issue.
Probably need to do occasional bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Every got a cold towel at finish so that felt great. Grabbed a Gatorade and walked around. Other than heat, really didn't feel too bad.
Looked for some friends and then went into the athlete's tent for a 1/2 banana, mini muffin, OJ and two pieces of cheese pizza. Listened to the live band for awhile and then went out and grabbed a beer and walked back the finish to cheer on more finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As metntioned, behind on the bike. Will make that a focua between now and my next race in July at Englewood.
Broken record - still need to loose 10-15 more pounds.

Event comments:

Great event Had a terriific time. Good swim helped to offset "average" bike & run.
Rite of passage for me as a triathlete, finally doing a big-time "name" event.

Last updated: 2015-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:59 | 750 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/598
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: In water start. Parallel to shore for about 600yd and then about a 135 deg curve to the rignt back to sprint swim out at the beach volleyball courts.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:33 | 12.4 miles | 15.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: City streets with combination of asphallt and brick pavers. Fist part of course was long out & back on 1st street out past Tropicana Field, them some semi-technical bits coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:59 | 03.1 kms | 14m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 0/11
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & back along bayfront neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-14 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: St. Anthony's
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Anthony's Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 2482 Posts: 26

2005-05-02 1:36 PM scuba-punk

St. Anthony's Pages: 1 2

Started by coredump
Views: 2027 Posts: 30

2005-04-28 2:40 PM Whizzer

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by E-Bell
Views: 1412 Posts: 1

2004-11-01 4:50 PM E-Bell

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by cmatt
Views: 1030 Posts: 3

2004-04-28 10:13 AM kgart

St. Anthony's Triathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1401 Posts: 9

2004-04-28 9:40 AM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.