United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 12s
Overall Rank = 4/5
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Busy Pre-Race routine since I was the official "Race Director" for this race! So, selected site for transition, drove the course previously planned to make sure that there were no issues ( you know -- little things like closed roads, construction, Big Bad Beasts). Trained our official race timer ( we even have "official" splits and everything -- this is a "high class" event -- look out Lifetime Fitness Triathlon -- Here we come!)
Event warmup:

About 10 meters in the pool....
Swim
  • 08m 1s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok -- I'm the race director, and I can't count laps. I technically DQ'd myself since I only swam 350 meters of the planned 400. Some Race Director -- :)

Seriously though, I had a decent swim. It just seemed LONG. Our original plan was that we would do a 300 yard swim. But when we got to the pool they told us it was a 22 yards. So we recalculated and came up with 336 yards as the distance, since the course was short. 8 laps, 44 yards = 336 -- seems simple enough -- Then we started swimming it.

I went out really hard the first 50, and then realized I was pushing too hard and slowed down. Then somewhere in the middle I lost count of the laps. At the end of 7 I yelled out to our "official" timer "TIME" he yelled back 7:55. Mental math told me that for what we thought the distance was, that was about right. He told me he thought I had one more lap, but I just KNEW I'd done 8 given the time. HAHA. So I got out of the pool and noticed BILLY still swimming, and started to wonder -- did I do the full 8 laps???? Billy usually beats me by around 15 seconds a hundred. Oh well, got a bike to ride!

What would you do differently?:

I think I should learn how to count -- I'm going to talk to the Race Director about making sure everyone does the right number of laps! :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Simple Transition here -- just get the bike gear on and go.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 32m 53s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

We've run this route training for Marathons a couple of times. Didn't realize how challenging it was till I got on the bike. Of course, in my "official" capacity as Race Director, I spent a good part of the first lap trying to keep Billy going on the course correctly. We had three of the 5 racers make incorrect turns -- Guess they don't know how to read "clearly" marked maps! haha -- Actually -- The RD needs to better mark the course!

As for my ride, I was really plased with it. I pushed pretty hard and on some sections got up to over 30 MPH -- I even made it up about 1/2 of the biggest hill before I dropped below 20 MPH on the second lap. Billy pushed me hard, especially after he went about 2 blocks off course! He and I stayed pretty much neck and neck until he passed me just before the big hill at mile 4. Then he passed me and he hammered it out. Came close to catching him on the second approach to the hill, but didn't quite make it. Guess that's the beauty of being old enough to be his dad! He's still young and spry!

All in all -- a good ride.

Go faster
Transition 2
  • 54m 69s
Comments:

Very short transition for me. Must have been the total of 5 bikes in the transition.

Not much.
Run
  • 25m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This run course was actually FAR more challenging than I thought it would be when I planned it out. Looked like it would be relatively flat -- WRONG. Climbed pretty much the entire first mile, had a decent descent through mile 2 and then ANOTHER tough climb through about mile 2.5. After that it was pretty much downhill.

Billy got out of T-2 about a minute ahead of me, and I had him in my sights the entire run. I thought I might be able to catch him, because he was only about a hald mile into the run, when I saw him do the dreaded SANDBAGGER walk! I vowed I would not walk a step the entire run, and didn't

Started running and thought --- Man -- this is a tough climb.. how did I ever do this thing 4 times when doing marathon training last year! I pushed along watching Billy and Patrick slug it out along the way -- they were neck and neck for about a mile of the run -- then Patrick decided to hit the gas as it were, and left Billy in the dust! Meanwhile I get to the turn around point and had kinda lost Billy, then I crested the hill and saw him walking YET AGAIN! I decided to try to catch him and got to within 100 yards, when he saw me, decided to stop sandbagging it, and pushed it out.

Seriously-- this run was a challenging run, but it was a fun, scenic run, by a golf course and small stream --- Was lots of fun!

Run Faster -- I was about 20 seconds a mile slower than I had hoped to be. I will say though that altitude may have had something to do with it, because the altitude in Midway is about 5600 feet and I live at about 4500 feet. Wasn't a huge factor, but likely a small one
Post race
Warm down:

Walk it off -- chat with ALL of the other racers! Went and had a HUGE breakfast of Eggs, Fried Potato's, Bacon, Sausage, Orange Juice and Pastries! Handed out the FABULOUS prizes promised to all entrants, including FINISHER medals.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Race director duties probably! :)

Event comments:

Ok -- This race was organized at the last minute as part of my company's annual corporate retreat weekend! I threw it together at the last minute since Billy and I were slow pokes and didn't get registered for Jordanelle before it filled! DOH! Note to self: Register Early!

This wasn't a really formal race, but more of a double brick. Company liked the idea though, and so next year we're gonna make it a more "formal" event to be done at the weekend. Even going to open it up to relay teams etc! We might get 20 participants next year.

The race director needs to have his head examined. :) He remembered all the unimportant stuff, like fabulous prizes ( plastic medals -- impressed?), Race Pics, etc. but didn't do so well with the important stuff, like swim distance, course marking, etc. But it was a great time. I know that the Race Director now has a much better appreciation for what it takes to organize a race.

Timing was good. Found a good shareware program which made it easy for us to get true splits without spending a fortune on chip timing ( Minimum charges are way to high for a five man race.... ;)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:01 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 3/5
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto 1 piece Tri Suit
Course: 8 laps of a 44 meter pool.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:53 | 10 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Overall: 4/5
Wind: None
Course: Two lap course around the City of Midway, UT. Course was somewhat challenging, in that there were a couple of tough climbs. I'm going to have to have another talk with the RD!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 54:69
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:49 | 03.11 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 5/5
Course: 1 lap loop course to the entrance of Wasatch State Park and return. Scenic and HILLY! (What Race Director would pick a hilly course! )
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: "Navitri" at the Homestead

2006-08-29 1:29 PM
in reply to: #524356

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: "Navitri" at the Homestead
Even though the course was tuff...you was tuffer!  Awesome!  Nice job.
2006-08-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: #524356

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
RD huh... how did you get that gig already?  nice mini.. pretty funny looking photo of everyone...    lol
2006-08-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: #526340

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like you had a great time.  Very creative on your part.  Nice job pulling it off.  Some day when you are a big time RD I hope you'll let me come to your races.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » "Navitri" at the Homestead Rss Feed