General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles & Contact Lens Wearers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-28 11:24 PM

User image

Subject: Goggles & Contact Lens Wearers
Hi,

I have a slight worry that my goggles may get yanked off my head while I'm swimming and I worry about my contact lens because I am blind as a bat. I was wondering, are there are lot of contact lens wearers out there and if they ever had problems with their goggles and contacts coming off?

Did you ever have problems with water coming into your goggles? contacts coming out? Which goggles do you recommend? Any suggestions to keep water from coming in?

Thank you in advance,
dinae

2006-08-28 11:47 PM
in reply to: #525287

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Goggles & Contact Lens Wearers

I wear contacts and have never had a pair leak or come off during a race. Only a handful of times have a sprung a leak during training swims, but not severe enough to wash the contact out. Just find the pair of goggles that works the best, it takes everyone at least a few pairs to find the best ones for them. I have a small head/face, so I actually buy TYR youth goggles, they work perfect. Good luck.

I also keep a pair of glasses im my transition bag, just in case I do ever lose a contact during the swim I could put them on in T1.
2006-08-29 10:06 AM

User image

It is important that you have googles that (1) fit and (2) don't leak, so try multiple pairs until you strike gold. To make you feel a little better, I've been swimming and wearing contacts for 10 years and have never had one fall out.

Personally I only wear Swedish goggles. Partially because they look wicked (esp. the metal ones) but mostly because they are very comfortable and never leak.

Normal ($3): http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1147.htm
Metallized ($13): http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1148.htm

If your goggles ever do leak or get knocked off your face, just try to keep your eyes squinted so your contact doesn't have somewhere to go. You could also practice swimming around with no goggles so you get over the fear of losing one in the water. That's kind of the tough love method.
2006-08-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I am also a contact wearer and have not lost a contact yet. My vision is not too bad though, -1.0 in my left and -.75 in my right, so if I did lose one it wouldn't be a big deal. I also wear sweedish goggles made by TYR but mine have more rubber around them than the traditional sweedish style. I think mine are called TYR Racing Sockets. Another thing to help you out, when you swim open water in a race, put your goggle strap under your swim cap so that if you do get kicked you don't completely use your goggles. A pair of glasses in transition is never a bad idea either! Good luck finding what works for you.
2006-08-29 2:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #525965

What are rx goggles from Speedo?

2006-08-29 3:00 PM
in reply to: #525609

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips. I truly appreciate your viewpoints.
2006-08-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #526013

dinae - 2006-08-29 3:58 PM

What are rx goggles from Speedo?

Prescription swimming goggles. This website shows Speedo's and a few others:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Prescription_Swim_Goggles_s/326.htm
2006-09-26 11:49 PM

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
I need a very light prescription and usually swim without contacts but I got nervous before my last tri and threw a pair of contacts on right before my start. I feel it was a great decision. I could actually see where the buoys were! From now on I will always swim with contacts for races.

I have 2 pairs of speedo goggles that just fit perfect. I just lucked out and found a pair that fits well.

Although, since I wasn't planning on using the contacts I also had spare glasses and sunglasses at the transition just in case. I might continue to do that too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles & Contact Lens Wearers Rss Feed