United States
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 325/604
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 38/72
Pre-race routine:

Woke up an ate an Einstien's Power Bagel with PB, banana, and water. Drove to race site. Used Potty about 3x and then stood around freezing until it started. It was 42F when we got there, and by the time the swim started, it was 37F. Major shivering before swim, even in my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Sorry to say, but none. I was just too darn cold and kept having to use the potty.
Swim
  • 27m 3s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wasn't quite on my game for this swim. The mass wave start from an area that was about 12 feet wide was a bit of a deterrant. It took me a long time to get in my groove, then I was drafting this girl who would do breast stroke everytime she sighted, and I'd run into her. I finally got away from her, but those who know me, know I pull to the left, so that was a bit of a problem. I think my time was great, considering I probably swam an extra 400! I also was just not feeling competitive. I even came up to tread, when I'd pass someone from the first two waves, to cheer them on. I call it good swim karma!

What would you do differently?:

I really need to figure out what's wrong with my stroke that I pull so hard left. That would have made this swim easier...but it was fun. I probably needed to train a bit more on the swim this past month.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Did I mention that it was 37F when I got out of the water? My feet were so cold, it was like running on clubs and hurt really bad on the asphalt. I also took the time to change into a dry jersey and put on wool socks. My brain wasn't working so fast on this transition.

Maybe work on my wetsuit earlier and run through the transition in my mind a few more times, especially with the changes I made. I was a bit confused because it wasn't my normal routine.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 18s
  • 20 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a beautiful course and I was thrilled that I finally got a course that was relatively flat. It was so fricken cold, that I couldn't feel my feet at all the entire ride and my hands cramped around the aerobars. I really didn't feel miserably cold, until I tried to reach back to my pocket for a gel and couldn't crank my body around to do it. It was almost surreal. I felt I rode hard and fast for the conditions...I had to, or I'd freeze.

Bring a long-sleeve jersey with me! I had checked the weather about 2 days earlier and at race time it was supposed to be 55F. I didn't prepare for the cold day.

I'd also drink more. Since I was so cold, I didn't think about drinking and maybe took 2 sips the entire ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

My hands were so numb and cramped that I literally (not exaggerating) could not tie my shoes. They were like little frozen claws and I just couldn't get the signals from my brain to my fingers. I ended up stuffing the ends into the sides of my shoes. Guess I should have used my yanks!

I think I was mildly hypothermic again...I just couldn't clear my brain and think rationally.
Forgot my shotblocks, too.

Use my yanks.
Run
  • 40m 23s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a stunning run.I really enjoyed it. I once again got passed by a lot, but also passed some...which is a first for me. I could not feel my feet for the first 14:00. I actually think my first mile took about that long. I then kicked it in and my last mile was actually an 8:15 mile. I'm not sure what the others were, but I felt strong the last 2 miles.

They had Clifshots at both aid stations, which was great. I took about 2 swigs of one at each station and then flushed it down with water.

Do more bricks...try to run faster through the club feet feeling...they're numb anyways...it's not like it's gonna be painful.
Post race
Warm down:

Once again, my 3-yr-old ran the finish with me. She's awesome and it's such a great self-esteem booster for her. Who cares if I lose a few seconds on the last 20 yds, it's worth it to see her smile! I also have an ulterior motive...when you finish with a toddler, people cheer a lot more! :)

Gatorade, found a sweatshirt real quick, ate some of the bad post race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definately the cold and my transitions. I was not prepared for the weather. My swim also sucked pretty bad, considering I used to swim in college. I'm actually embarrassed by my swim time.

Event comments:

Despite the cold and bad post-race food, I'd do it again next year. The locale was spectacular, the competitors were friendly and I had so much fun. I think that's going to be my triathlon role as a competitor...the one who has a great time every race, no matter what my performance is.

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:03 | 1000 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/604
Performance: Below average
Suit: full sleeve wetsuit
Course: Triangle, boueys on your left. Lake was NASTY with tons of weeds about 4 feet below the surface and pea soup algae water the rest of it. I just really tried hard to ignore it.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:18 | 20 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, mostly flat, but with a few rollers and a gradual uphill on last 5 miles back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:23 | 04 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with small rollers. Once again, a long gradual uphill on the way back, but no biggie.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-29 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Steamboat Springs Tri

2006-08-29 11:30 PM
in reply to: #526346

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Steamboat Springs Tri
Dang, you are BRAVE to be out there in that super cold weather!  Nice work on an especially difficult morning!  And that water sounds absolutely nasty
2006-08-30 6:14 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Wow Mel!  That was awesome!

What freaking continent were you on?  It was hot down here.  Are you sure you didn't go to Canada or something?

Way to tough it out where ever you were.  (the pictures were beautiful)

2006-08-30 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I considered not doing the Rattlesnake because of the rain, but 37 degrees, you win the award for persistence. I would have been back to my hotel room warming up...
2006-08-30 5:37 PM
in reply to: #526490

User image

Veteran
Colorado
I got goosebumps just reading your race report!!  You were a brave woman - great work!
2006-08-30 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Holy Crow!  I wouldn't be doing this if I were'nt in FL.  It's August!  Those temps!  Yikes!  Still... freaking awesome bike.  GREAT RACE!

2006-09-01 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
What a crazy race for you! Based on the conditions and frozen limbs...you did a great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steamboat Springs Tri Rss Feed