United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 20s
Overall Rank = 5/17
Age Group = 3039
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

I'm in the middle of training for my 70.3 in October, and my training plan called for a 13 mile run. I heard about the Patriot's Run earlier in the week but was unsure if I wanted to do it or not (mainly, if I wanted to take off 1/2 day of work and pay an entry fee for a training run). However, the idea of doing a "real" race, with race support and also for a really cool cause (9/11) memorial had some appeal.

On Thursday night, wife and I decided to do it, provided we could walk up and register and race. The race started at noon. I left work at 11am, changed into running clothes in the office and we arrived on site at 11:40. Paid our fees, dropped our goody bag off in the car and headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

There was no warm up at all. The only warmup was walking around, trying to make sure we knew where to start and end.
Run
  • 2h 00m 20s
  • 13.1 kms
  • 09m 11s  min/km
Comments:

I started out running with my wife. Her plan called for a 10 miler today, and she had run 8 the day before. She was game to give it a go, but she had no plans/concerns with a PR. A little over 3 miles in, she told me to go. She was going to walk the hill. I went on and figured I'd catch up to her on future laps. At that point, I saw under 2HR was in reach so I steadied on.

I did not need to drink until about the 6 mile mark. I took a banana at mile 9. Water every other lap from mile 8 on. As I neared the end, I started watching my time more closely. I knew I was on track for under 2HR, however I also could see the course lap was a shade long. While I was on pace to finish at about 1:56, given the course was a bit long, I knew it would be close. I started pushing my pace a bit. On my final lap, my watch notified me I hit the 13 mile mark at about 1:56 and I was only half way through the final lap. I pushed ahead knowing it was going to be very close. As it turns out, I crossed the timing mat almost exactly at 2HR.

Even so, I was quite happy with that. My previous best HM is only something like 2:11 on the back of a 70.3.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Ideally, I would have planned and tapered, but I just was using this as a long run training day and just enjoyed the event.
Post race
Warm down:

At the finish was one of the water stops. I found gatorade and drank about 20 dixie cupfuls of the stuff. Walked around and let my legs relax. I talked to a few folks and watched for Jamie.

After figuring out our official times (because we registered so late, we were incorrectly entered into the "open/casual" division). Once we got our times, we found out Jamie got 3rd overall women and I won my age group. Ha! We grabbed out medals and headed out. Jamie had to get the kids from school, and I raced back to the office to wrap up a few things.

It was inspiring to see military personal, in full uniform carrying 100+lb packs (in honor of fallen soldiers). Team RWB was there carrying a flag. One woman was running with prosthetic legs. Seeing all of these things was inspiring and really helped to combat any minor fatigue I was feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was just basically a training run.\

Event comments:

There was a bit of confusion with the timing, and also not much at the "finish". Since there were many races going on at once, I just crossed the finish line and stopped. There was no one there telling me I was done. I knew I was done because of my watch. There was lots of food (sandwiches, chips, water, fruit) but most of it was covered. It wasn't clear what was there for the athletes. I think this was more just a factor of it being a 9 hour race day, with lots of different things going on. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Just a little bit hectic due to many different races going on at the same time. Overall, I loved it. I definitely want to come back.

Last updated: 2015-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:20 | 13.1 kms | 09m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 5/17
Performance: Good
Course: The course was approximately 1 mile loops. There were many "races" going on: starting at noon, a half marathon, a marathon, a casual walk/run and Ultra all started. The event was to go from noon until 9:11PM where everything stopped for a memorial. The loop turned out to be slightly more than 1 mile, more like 1.1 miles. It was mostly flat, with a steady incline on the first 1/4 mile and slight decline on the back 1/4. The loop went through campus and most of it was surrounded by spectators, including many with tents set up. While a 13 lap course would normally be monotonous, this was not...it was to be very familiar with everything and to see the spectators, including students roaming the campus. Also, because there were half-mary runners, marathoners, and ultras, including teams, there was an ever changing group of competitors. There were 3 aid stations on each loop. Plenty.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-14 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Patriots' Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots' Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Knights of Columbus Patriot Day Run

Started by soccermom15
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2012-09-09 4:16 PM soccermom15

Camp Patriot Fun Run

Started by eurasn1
Views: 783 Posts: 1

2011-07-05 8:07 PM eurasn1

Somerset Patriots - Labor day run

Started by notarunnr
Views: 1674 Posts: 2

2009-09-07 5:11 PM dexter

No Veteran Left Behind Patriot 5k run/walk

Started by tinak
Views: 640 Posts: 1

2008-12-20 8:16 PM tinak

Patriot's Run

Started by ott13979
Views: 953 Posts: 2

2006-09-12 12:57 PM ott13979
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation