Dover-Sherborn Boosters
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 45s
Overall Rank = 61/222
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up had breakfast and drove to the race site.

I got my numbers and went over to T2. There are two transitions for this race which makes things a bit hectic.

i racked my bike temporarily, and got out my run stuff. I put on my sneakers and did about 5 minutes of strides to warm up.

I made sure my sneakers, hat and race belt with bib were all set. packed up my gear, and rode over to Farm pond for the swim.

racked my bike, got body marked and laid out everything i needed. had some time to kill so wandered around transition to see if i knew anyone. i did not.

did a quick warm up swim and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

Did some strides,

rode over to the swim, and did a quick swim warm up. should have swam a bit longer.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

i jumped at the bell and ran to the water. i dove in when water was about knee deep. i passed a bunch of people in the first 50 yards or so.

I did good till i got to the first turn buoy. i had some issues navigating after the first turn. i kept pulling to the right as i was predominately breathing on the left. i had to stop a couple of times to sight and get my bearings.

i was breathing on the left cause i was going pretty hard. towards the end i did get to switch sides breathing.

also, i had issues keeping my head down. i realized i was picking it up. need to focus on keeping it down in the offseason.
What would you do differently?:

need to site better. not sure why i had such issues this year. practice more at the pool.

keep head down. having head up caused neck pain on the bike and also keeps my legs down in the water.

Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

long run in from water to transition. up a hill. did ok. i had an issue taking off my goggles and swim cap. goggles came off, swim cap didn't.

since my gear was being packed up and brought back to the High school. i took a couple of seconds to make sure everything was in my bag.

i forgot to put baby powder in my bike shoes. this caused a slight issue with the heel getting stuck on my foot.

put baby powder in my shoes.

not much else. pretty fast t1. i didn't run out of t1. pavement was damp, don't have a lot of traction. also had an issue getting my shoes clipped in. cost me a few seconds.
Bike
  • 46m 14s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

had some issues getting up to speed. roads were wet. and i had some issues getting my feet clipped in.

took it easy for the first 3 miles. picked up the pace after. didn't hammer the descents. roads were wet and windy. i coasted on the hoods, near the brakes. especially around other riders. not worth a crash.

did very good going up hills. only had one hill i didn't shift properly for. most hills i passed a few folks. wish i could have pushed the downhills. course is great for that.

i had a cliff shot blocks at mile 10.

can't do much about wet roads. was debating taking the cliff shot blocks. seemed to work out as i didn't seem to fade on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

missed my row but quickly adjusted. i got to my spot and racked my bike on the handlebars instead of the seat. this seemed to save time. as this was my fastest transition all year.

i had to fiddle with my helmet. i went to put it on my handlebars but there was a steep angle and with my glasses on my helmet didn't want them to drop if someone hit my bike. took the time to put them on the ground next to my bike.

grabbed my garmin hat and race belt and put my shoes on.

nothing.

i did have an issue all day with hitting the timer stop instead of the lap button on my garmin in multisport mode. I was battling a cold since Friday so i'll chalk it up to fuzzy head.
Run
  • 26m 20s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

great run. i started off a bit too fast, and backed off. i got to the halfway mark and picked up the pace. slowed down on the hills and ran down them fast.

after the halfway mark i was going faster, but couldn't quite close the gap on a couple of runners

i did manage to push towards the end and cross the finish line at the same time as a runner i had been about 25-30 feet behind the entire run.

i might have been able to go as fast as i started off. one of these smaller races, i should really just push myself at the beginning and see what happens.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit, and stretched. got some food. checked out the results and saw i finished 5 in my age group. 4:20 out of third. not too shabby.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wet roads limited the bike.
not pushing at the beginning of he run.

Event comments:

good race. post race food is better than most sprint races. breakfast buffet eggs, bacon, pancakes yum.

post race festivites aren't great. sort of typical for a sprint.

Last updated: 2015-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 440 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 117/222
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: a counterclockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:14 | 14.8 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 62/222
Wind: None
Course: a single loop going through the towns of dover and sherborn.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:20 | 03.4 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 75/222
Course: a single loop course through the neighborhoods near the High School.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes