World Triathlon Corporation
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 56m 57s
Overall Rank = 1019/2700
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 76/205
Pre-race routine:

up at 3;45. Cliff bar with peanut butter and nutella. Shower. Treat patellar tendonitis with 4 Alieve, Pennsaid and dexamethasone. Wrap knee till swim start.
Event warmup:

1 mile walk to transition at 5:05 AM. 1.25 mile walk from transition to end of swim line by 6:15. Rolling swim start at 7:30 in the water around 8A.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

swim PR for rank
What would you do differently?:

a lot of time in the water this year and last month due to inability to run train half of September
Transition 1
  • 13m 5s
Comments:

long transition time to prep patellar tendonitis- NSAID gel, clothes change
Bike
  • 6h 04m 8s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Stopped once at mile 70 special needs. Waited 90 seconds for the head and at least 60 seconds for special needs bag from confused volunteer. Applied more NSAID gel to knee and filled second powered infinit bottle with water.

Overall lost 5 minutes to special needs. Next time I'll look to skip special needs and go off course to void.

Otherwise I rode the course to the best of my fitness
Transition 2
  • 22m 30s
Comments:

Hamstring cramps dismounting bike from static position. Had to stretch it out in the transition chute.
Volunteer gracioulsy took my bike as they did all bikes and racked it. Unfortunatley she racked it about 200 spaces off costing me 4-5 minutes coming out of the change tent when I went to retrieve garmin 920 I left mounted to the BTA bottle.

stretch more than I did coming into transition. Remember Garmin.
Run
  • 5h 08m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

controlled the knee and groin tendonitis/strain with Lidocaine patches 4% purchased off Amazon. I didn't notice them much. They did not mitigate muscle soreness or pain from running but they may have helped with the tendonitis and strain. Wrapped the knee with Artic Ease wrap and a cho-pat over that. Wrapped groin with neoprene waist/groin wrap. At mile 13.9 I ducked into a porta-john and removed all patches, applied dexa-m, applied new lidocaine patches and re-wrapped groin and knee. It added about 7 minutes to the third split (just after special needs) but it was needed. The run was grueling on the second half. I began walking the aid stations. Mentally I had to work to stay in it and not walk between the stations. At mile 20 my pace pushed above 12 min miles. I limited the aid station walk to half the station. I used my thicker run socks. I think I would have had less L 5th toe rub if I used the thinner ones.

Not much to do differently. The groin and tendon injuries dictated slower times. Plantar faciatitis delayed run training early in the year. The groin and knee slowed run training in August and September.
Post race
Warm down:

near collapse...it was good to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injuries

Event comments:

This was my second 140 and first Ironman branded race. Before race rad I was put off by what seemed like exorbitant pricing. During the race it became evident that IM spends more on the venue then others at least for the full. When I'm ready for another full I would do an IM without hesitation based on the Louisville 2015 experience. Hopefully the new owner will maintain continuity.

Last updated: 2014-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:11 | 4224 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/205
Overall: 601/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro Full
Course: ~1500 yards up river and remainder down river. Didn't notice current in either direction.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:04:08 | 112 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/205
Overall: 644/2700
Performance: Good
Avg HR 139 - high Z3/low Z4 Decided to go above z2/3 because run would be slower due to knee and groin
Wind: Some
Course: lollipop x2. Fairly fast course with longish rollers. Effectively ridden the climbing is kept in check using the downhill speed to climb many hills halfway up. The pavement was overall good IMO. I would ride this course without hesitation. The only issue is the 7 mile out and back at ~mile 20 you do once on 1694. Its a fine road and reminds me of southern Anne Arundel County roads. Many on the FB page whine about how tight the road is and how fast some cyclists go. It wouldn't be issue if all the riders we're half decent cyclists. Many are not. They coast on the left, ride 2 and 3 abreast and don't easily yield to accomplished cyclists pedaling down hill. If this section were moved till after the lollipop x2 it would greatly reduce the congestion and add to the exhilarating stretch of pavement.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 22:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
05:08:03 | 26.2 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/205
Overall: 1019/2700
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 136 Z3 some Z4
Course: out and back x2. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-14 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3570 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8020 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4212 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7762 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.