Princeton Athletic Club
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 21s
Overall Rank = 6/29
Age Group = women
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Had a smoothie and walked Chloe (including some running, since she was psyched about the cold weather).
Event warmup:

We jogged around the little pond twice, plus over to the car and back to put away our stuff and use the bathrooms. In the future, I would probably run that much, but keep it way slower so as not to break a sweat and get chilly before the race start. We only stood at the start for 3-4 minutes, but we both got pretty cold.
Run
  • 33m 21s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a lot of fun. We're not used to running up and down hills, so the elevation was the greatest challenge. Despite that, I think we both ran really well. We did a great job of following the course markers and keeping our footing on the rocks, logs and roots. I have very little experience trail running, but I'm a fan already.
What would you do differently?:

If I could have convinced myself not to walk toward the end when I reached the final hilly area, that would have been ideal, but I didn't know it was the last bit. If I had that kind of familiarity with the course it might have been different, but we've only hiked Mountain Lakes Preserve once before with the dog, so I knew the end was getting close, but I wasn't aware just how close it was.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked/stood around and enjoyed the lovely (if cold) morning. Jogged back to the car after the awards. (I got an award, too, for the first time ever!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. I had to walk even very late in the race when I was well warmed up when hills appeared. Our normal runs are pretty flat, so that was a challenge.

Event comments:

This was a very nice small race. Well-organized and low key.

Last updated: 2015-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:21 | 03.5 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 6/29
Performance: Good
Course: The course was described as a "moderately technical" trail run, on some paved paths and access roads, but mostly on wooded trails strewn with rocks, branches and roots. There were chalked markers to follow for the course, as well as flags pinned to trees. We got confused a few times, but were able to straighten ourselves out pretty quickly, though it was clear that a number of other people had more difficulty following the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-18 5:38 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Mountain Lakes Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Lakes Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs

Started by dreadpiraterackham
Views: 4014 Posts: 3

2008-05-20 12:21 PM ABQkid

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile)

Started by billgeist
Views: 1258 Posts: 2

2008-05-19 1:14 PM zsela

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs

Started by chile7473
Views: 5060 Posts: 13

2008-05-22 11:41 AM PirateGirl

Xterra Boney Mountain Trail Run

Started by mixie
Views: 1750 Posts: 8

2008-01-17 11:34 AM Mesteren

Paris Mountain Trail Run

Started by dcwade
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2005-11-12 6:07 PM dcwade
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.