World Triathlon Corporation
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 13m 24s
Overall Rank = 249/1360
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 41/186
Pre-race routine:

Drove from hotel in Easton to transition.
Event warmup:

None due to cold temperatures.
Swim
  • 53m 46s
  • 3000 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was delayed to 7:30 and shortened due to high winds. The water was quite cold. The swim felt the best of any of the races I have done. Finding open water was a challenge, as was navigation with the modified course.
Transition 1
  • 09m 35s
Comments:

Changing tent was packed and crowded. I forgot to use lube, which would affect me during the bike. I kept on tri kit and added bike jersey, arm warmers, gloves, and toe covers due to cold temperatures.
What would you do differently?:

Not be shocked by changing tent and don't forget lube.
Bike
  • 5h 42m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was all about fighting the wind and staying upright. The first part of each loop had a tailwind, but the reminder were cross-winds and headwinds. My new bike fit and wheel set up helped immensely, as I passed a lot of people on the bike. I used a gel to lube at the half-way point when I was starting to hurt. I stopped 3 times to use portajohns on the ride.

Remember lube. Keep up long ride training.
Transition 2
  • 09m 9s
Comments:

Due to rescheduled race, there were no bike handlers. We had to run and rack our own bikes. I changed into running shorts and shirt. I kept on the arm warmers due to the cold temperatures.
Run
  • 4h 18m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty well until about mile 17 and even though was OK until mile 20 or so. I need to be able to sustain a good running pace through the entire marathon. It was the first, so I'm OK with this. I ran with a guy from Philly for the first lap, maybe 9 or so miles. Kristen showed up about 7 miles into the run.

Keep up the training to sustain running pace through entire event.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat and ate post-race food in Ironman Village, while celebrating with family. Bought finisher gear so I wouldn't have to return Sunday morning. Walked back to transition to collect bike and gear. Returned to hotel for the night.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind on the bike.

Event comments:

The local race director, Gerry Boyle, and his staff were amazing to get the race re-scheduled after the postponement. The event was well run as most Ironman events are. The only complaints about the event were the lack of food for spectators. The food truck could not handle the number of people seeking food. And the lack of a promised finish line beer garden. Otherwise, the race was great. The wind got very tiresome after a while.

Last updated: 2015-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:46 | 3000 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 63/186
Overall: 361/1360
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Course was shortened due to high winds. Two loop out and back in sheltered bay to marina.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:42:12 | 112 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/186
Overall: 239/1360
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course is 12 miles out of town, two 45 mile loops through the wildlife refuge, and 10 miles back to transition. It is extremely flat and was extremely windy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:18:42 | 26.2 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/186
Overall: 320/1360
Course: The course is a 2 1/2 lap course through neighborhoods along the river to a turn-around, all the way back through the park where transition is located and through town past the finish line to a second turn-around. You ran this twice with the third time being abbreviated a bit.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-21 2:36 PM

, Virginia
Subject: Ironman Maryland

2015-11-09 5:45 AM
in reply to: #5148139

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland
Way to hang in there and finish strong! I raced IMMD the first year in 2014 and must have been very lucky as the wind was pretty light. Probably an anomaly for that area. I was wondering about how things went after the reschedule, sounds like Ironman pulled through. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Maryland Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Maryland

Started by disconnect
Views: 1543 Posts: 2

2015-11-12 3:51 PM HercDriver

Ironman Maryland

Started by Sean6364r
Views: 1808 Posts: 3

2014-10-02 9:16 AM jenstewey

Ironman Maryland

Started by klassman
Views: 2259 Posts: 4

2014-09-29 8:57 AM klassman

Ironman Maryland

Started by haight2
Views: 1249 Posts: 1

2014-09-21 4:53 PM haight2

Ocean City Maryland Marathon

Started by captantony
Views: 1111 Posts: 7

2005-04-18 6:42 PM velasqu7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.