Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2015-12-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016
I'm in. I'll post intro later. Just got my usb ant stick and a replacement skewer for the trainer I'm borrowing from the neighbor. Now to setup the bike and see how this all works.

2015-12-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TTom

Hey Chad, Welcome!  It's great to have someone else here suffering with us.  If you are still using trainerroad, you can click on CAREER button and see all your past rides with stats, so you'll be able to look at that 5 minute segment and pull your average power from there no problem.  As far as posting, I use Imageshack as a photo storage site and past the link from there, but I'm interested to see if the "attach file after posting" thing that Don mentioned works.

Thanks, let's give it a try! test below....

So, the "attach file after posting" worked fine for me. I'll have to find a better way of capturing the image as you can see this one isn't easy to read. I also have to remember to take a screen shot at the end of my workout while the workout is still up. Apparently, whenever I save it and go to a different view, I can't get back to that same view. BTW, I'm no longer using trainerroad, I'm using golden cheetah. I can get numbers 500 ways from Sunday in there, but it's that particular chart that appears to go away forever. No biggie... but there's my 5' test.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Budwiiser 2015-12-02 7:27 PM

(Dec1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dec1.jpg (111KB - 45 downloads)
2015-12-02 7:29 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by Budwiiser The best I could figure out was to paste an image of the workout in a word doc and attach it. Looking forward to hearing how ya'll are posting your workout images. Also, I think once I save my workout and go to another screen, that particular chart is no longer available?
To post a pix, its best to upload the picture to an photo hosting site or make an album on your photo album here on BT.  Then you copy the link of the picture and use the 'inset/edit image' tool on the message post toolbar (looks like small mountain scene icon next to the chain link icon).  When you select the icon the sub-window pops up and you paste the link into the Source line, also recommend to adjust the image dimensions to be no larger that 700 wide then tab over to the next input so that the image auto-scales the height.

I think you can also select the 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of a message post and it may display if its a jpg file, not 100% on that though.

Thank you sir!
2015-12-02 7:36 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

Originally posted by Bradleykd

Last but not least, Hi Chad!

Glad to have you in the group.

What's your trainer setup look like?

Hey there Brad, I'll have to get a pic. I'm inside in front of my computer in this miniature hallway we have. I have to set up and take down each night, no room here for a permanent set-up... the kiddos rule the house and all space in it! I'm borrowing a friends cycleops mag trainer, hoping to find a decent deal on a fluid trainer... eventually :-) I'm connected to GoldenCheetah with a power2max classic. I also pair with my garmin 910, garmin speed sensor, and garmin HR monitor. So far so good, would just be nice if I had a place to leave it all set up. I've seen lots of comments about fans, but there's no fan for me, if I'm not sweating like a stuck pig, I feel like I'm not working hard enough!!!!!

thanks for the welcome!
2015-12-03 7:30 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Bradleykd I'm with you on a lot of variables changing since I last used trainer road. I have no idea what kind of power to shoot for. I guess I'll start around 225 and see what dark circle of pain that takes me down. If it doesn't suck at 10 minutes I'll bump it up. Is the 20 minute test we do this week the one from trainerroad.com that will automatically adjust your FTP, or will we have to figure that our ourselves?
Brad, 225 is way to low, that would be 78% of the 5' test.  IMHO, 244 (85%) should be your min target starting out.  The idea is to try and be as consistent as possible.

The impact on the CP calc is significant due to the slope calculation, for example:

• For a 20' avg of 244w the CP calc would be 230w
  • For a 235w avg (starting at 225 and building average) the CP would be 217w

GO FOR IT MAN!

2015-12-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: Budwiiser

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Budwiiser
Originally posted by Bradleykd Last but not least, Hi Chad! Glad to have you in the group. What's your trainer setup look like?
Hey there Brad, I'll have to get a pic. I'm inside in front of my computer in this miniature hallway we have. I have to set up and take down each night, no room here for a permanent set-up... the kiddos rule the house and all space in it! I'm borrowing a friends cycleops mag trainer, hoping to find a decent deal on a fluid trainer... eventually :-) I'm connected to GoldenCheetah with a power2max classic. I also pair with my garmin 910, garmin speed sensor, and garmin HR monitor. So far so good, would just be nice if I had a place to leave it all set up. I've seen lots of comments about fans, but there's no fan for me, if I'm not sweating like a stuck pig, I feel like I'm not working hard enough!!!!! thanks for the welcome!

Dude, you win the man of the year award for that!  No fan,especially for a long duration test I cannot fanthom it

2015-12-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by johnthecat I'm in. I'll post intro later. Just got my usb ant stick and a replacement skewer for the trainer I'm borrowing from the neighbor. Now to setup the bike and see how this all works.
Alright welcome Markus.  There's now 8 of us listed on the spreadsheet. Hinkel (5stones) is being silent and has done the 20' test with a 239w average!

2015-12-03 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Bradleykd Last but not least, Hi Chad! Glad to have you in the group. What's your trainer setup look like?
Hey there Brad, I'll have to get a pic. I'm inside in front of my computer in this miniature hallway we have. I have to set up and take down each night, no room here for a permanent set-up... the kiddos rule the house and all space in it! I'm borrowing a friends cycleops mag trainer, hoping to find a decent deal on a fluid trainer... eventually :-) I'm connected to GoldenCheetah with a power2max classic. I also pair with my garmin 910, garmin speed sensor, and garmin HR monitor. So far so good, would just be nice if I had a place to leave it all set up. I've seen lots of comments about fans, but there's no fan for me, if I'm not sweating like a stuck pig, I feel like I'm not working hard enough!!!!! thanks for the welcome!

Dude, you win the man of the year award for that!  No fan,especially for a long duration test I cannot fanthom it

You're too kind. My wife would say I lack reasonable judgement, or she might call me a woos if I had one! Either way, honestly, it never even dawned on me. I prefer to be out in the garage where I can really be one with Mother Nature. After all, I am in south Louisiana and the heat/humidity will rip you a new one for races if you train too comfortable!
2015-12-03 11:07 AM

Hey guys. I have been logging workouts but have not posted on here since I did the 20' test. Boy, that was ugly. It has been quite some time since I performed these tests & I forgot how much fun this was. Totally misjudged my lack of fitness. I thought I started out conservatively enough but was fading badly by the end. I don't have any real power data to show as I only use a KK computer along with my KK Road Machine. The 20' avg was 239. Glad the long one is finished. Plan on completing the 5' test tomorrow.
2015-12-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: Budwiiser

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

You're too kind. My wife would say I lack reasonable judgement, or she might call me a woos if I had one! Either way, honestly, it never even dawned on me. I prefer to be out in the garage where I can really be one with Mother Nature. After all, I am in south Louisiana and the heat/humidity will rip you a new one for races if you train too comfortable!
I know what you mean, I'm central east coast FL, my setup (1st page) is in the garage and have up to 3 fans.  I stopped WO in the garage this summer, it became too much.  I'm thinking about getting one of those portable AC units so I can have some cool air blowing on me!

2015-12-03 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Bradleykd

For those using KK trainers.  What is your setup procedure to keep consistency and close power curve correlation?  Here's what I do:

1. Pump the trainer tire to 110PSI on the pump then pull off of the tire.
  2. Get on the bike and using a digital watch spin up to 20-20.2 mph and then coast, watching the time it takes for the rear wheel to stop spinning (I listen to rear hub pawls clicking to end)
  3. Based on a previous post here on BT years ago, it was stated that a warmed up unit will take ~13.8 sec to match the published power curve (KK states 15 sec).  I found that a cold unit will take 2 seconds less so I aim for ~12 seconds to coast down and after 10' of warm-up it'll take the ~2 sec longer.
  4. To achieve ~12 sec coast down cold, I have set the tension at ~2.75 turns.
  5. I wish I had a PM to verify the warmed up actual power to virtual power but I don't so have taken the above as gospel for my setup for a couple of years now.  I know its all relative but this allows me to maintain consistency in the setup.

I pump my rear tire to 100psi and set the tension to 3.5 turns. I marked the handle with paint so I know exactly where that is. That is about as far as I go for consistency. I have done it this exact way ever since I got the trainer though, so I guess whatever the virtual power is off is irrelevant, so long as everything stays consistent.

Pretty much my approach. I have never applied the spin down test to make sure the outcome of the session matches the power curve correctly. I went with the philosophy that as long as the setup was consistent the virtual power numbers would be useful. I only ever cared about consistency.

2015-12-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
well, I'm kind of disappointed. I went to the dentist today after work and wound up getting a couple of shots in the mouth. This gave me a bad headache as it was wearing off and then also sucking air absolutely sucked. All that nonsense led me to 30 minutes of workout 2 and quitting.

I'll do the 20 minute test Saturday and hopefully set a new FTP and get motivated again. Today wasn't doing it for me...
2015-12-03 6:00 PM

User image

, Washington

I'm a bit late to the party but would like to give the challenge a shot.  Last time I was on the bike was Sept for a late season Century.

I completed the 5min CP test today and posted my numbers in the spreadsheet.

I'm running a Computrainer using PerfPro.

Randy

2015-12-04 8:29 AM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by RandyP

I'm a bit late to the party but would like to give the challenge a shot.  Last time I was on the bike was Sept for a late season Century.

I completed the 5min CP test today and posted my numbers in the spreadsheet.

I'm running a Computrainer using PerfPro.

Randy

Hi Randy, welcome. The party is just starting!

2015-12-04 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK I'm toast, 20' CP test done, 217w, CP works out to be 209w. My legs are sure lacking endurance, had to play the cadence game, was stronger with lower cadences today. Hard to believe that in 11-13 weeks the 2x20' workouts will be at this level!  Now I can resume some running, I didn't want to "taint" the legs any

Lets get this party started!

(2015-12-04-20min-CP-test-217w.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-12-04-20min-CP-test-217w.JPG (125KB - 7 downloads)
2015-12-04 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Good job, Don!  I've had to defer my 20 minute test from yesterday as I had some suspicious tenderness in my butt which made me think of my recent hamstring issues, so wanted to give a day or so of rest.  Will get mine done today or tomorrow.

FYI, for anyone using trainer road for the 20 minute test, I added in some text just before and right at the end of the 20' test segment to remind you to start and stop a lap timer if you are planning to use one.  I'm thinking of setting up my test to show Virtual Power on the computer screen and to have my Garmin 910 show the Vector power on the head unit so I can see how they differ, but haven't decided if I want to add that into the mix yet.  Hitting the lap timer will provide a recorded 20 minute interval of test data on your garmin data that will be there for posterity, just in case one drifts away from TrainerRoad.  And I don't know about you, but at the end of that 20 minutes I'll definitely need a reminder to hit the lap button!

Don, on your graph I see you have the green band around your power.  In MaximumTrainer do you get to set up the 85%-95% values and it displays the green bands during the test?  I think that is an awesome feature if it does - wish TrainerRoad had that capability.  Right now I split the range down the middle to set the target value, stressing when I fall below it when in fact, a 2.5% drop is perfectly allowable in the context of the workout.

Edited by TTom 2015-12-04 3:47 PM

2015-12-04 6:10 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

20 min test done, but not cleanly. A comedy of errors as it turns out.

As Don suggested, I targeted 200W for the 20'.  Ended up having to take a break at the 15' point (explanation follows) but got back on board at 16'.  Ended up with a 202W AP for the first 15' and 203W for the last 4 minutes.  Overall, the 20' segment came in at 195W.  Here's what the ugly thing looked like:

At somewhere around the 12 minute mark I started to get a squeaking sound from my rear wheel.  I'd decided to set a new standard for setup following Don's example and go to 110 psi and when I did I found I needed to actually crank the tension up a half turn to make sure that there was no slippage.  So, when I started hearing the sound, I thought I'd screwed it up and was getting slippage.  Over the next few minutes the volume and duration of the sound increased so it seemed slippage on the trainer shaft wasn't the issue, and I could not get it to correlate to anything in particular in terms of pedal position, etc., but it seemed that it took more effort to sustain the cadence.  I put that off to fatigue and at 15 minutes, the effort had gotten high enough that I had to back off for a minute.  I noticed when I did the periodicity of the sound also dropped, but the volume continued to increase.  Said screw it at minute 16 and cranked it back up determined to finish the test with some modicum of composure.  I have to admit to being somewhat worried it could be metal on metal somewhere but wasn't going to stop the test that far in!

So what was it?  For this challenge I'm using my Cervelo P2 Tri bike, doing all the work in Aero to make the power results track to race day.  The rear fork of the Cervelo where the wheel mounts uses a horizontal mount as opposed to a vertical mount.  Thus, the wheel slides on to the frame directly from the rear of the bike as opposed to from below it.

Apparently the combination of the increased tire pressure and the increased in tension, coupled with what apparently was not a tight enough skewer, pushed the wheel forward in the mount.  It seems that either the tire has more rubber in one section or the wheel is slightly out of true, with the result that one section of the tire was actually rubbing up against the frame on the vertical bar beneath the seat, increasing the effort required to maintain a given cadence - and causing the grating sound.  I don't think it would have any impact on the outcome of the test if I had kept going for the entire 20 minutes, so I'm going to just go with the 195W number for this period of the challenge.  Oh, and reposition the tire while tightening the snot out of the skewer.

2015-12-04 6:14 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Good job, Don!  I've had to defer my 20 minute test from yesterday as I had some suspicious tenderness in my butt which made me think of my recent hamstring issues, so wanted to give a day or so of rest.  Will get mine done today or tomorrow.

Yeah take care of that.  I was having some specific glut tightness yesterday and used the roller, then the tennis ball then a golf ball to work it out last night.  Now I'm feeling my calf's hard roller session coming up!

FYI, for anyone using trainer road for the 20 minute test, I added in some text just before and right at the end of the 20' test segment to remind you to start and stop a lap timer if you are planning to use one.  I'm thinking of setting up my test to show Virtual Power on the computer screen and to have my Garmin 910 show the Vector power on the head unit so I can see how they differ, but haven't decided if I want to add that into the mix yet.  Hitting the lap timer will provide a recorded 20 minute interval of test data on your garmin data that will be there for posterity, just in case one drifts away from TrainerRoad.  And I don't know about you, but at the end of that 20 minutes I'll definitely need a reminder to hit the lap button!

Don, on your graph I see you have the green band around your power.  In MaximumTrainer do you get to set up the 85%-95% values and it displays the green bands during the test?  I think that is an awesome feature if it does - wish TrainerRoad had that capability.  Right now I split the range down the middle to set the target value, stressing when I fall below it when in fact, a 2.5% drop is perfectly allowable in the context of the workout.

In MT for any power target value you can set the +/-W value and it is always displayed as the green band.  In fact, on the bottom left where I have the power details for the last interval completed you can also have a +/- 15sec zoomed in portion of where you are at on the main curve that is usually +/- 5 watts above and below the current tolerance range, its a nice feature.  I'm requesting Max (developer) make a combo of the two with a smaller zoom in with the details.  You have to have some tolerance as the rolling average (even 3-5 sec averaging) is jittery.  MT also has the interval change audible warnings & display text available about 5 secs from the next interval change.  There's also a audible beep warning you can set for going below, above, or below & above the target band.  I only use the below warning, very helpful when my head is down and I'm gutting it out.

2015-12-04 6:33 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

20 min test done, but not cleanly. A comedy of errors as it turns out.

As Don suggested, I targeted 200W for the 20'.  Ended up having to take a break at the 15' point (explanation follows) but got back on board at 16'.  Ended up with a 202W AP for the first 15' and 203W for the last 4 minutes.  Overall, the 20' segment came in at 195W.  Here's what the ugly thing looked like:

At somewhere around the 12 minute mark I started to get a squeaking sound from my rear wheel.  I'd decided to set a new standard for setup following Don's example and go to 110 psi and when I did I found I needed to actually crank the tension up a half turn to make sure that there was no slippage.  So, when I started hearing the sound, I thought I'd screwed it up and was getting slippage.  Over the next few minutes the volume and duration of the sound increased so it seemed slippage on the trainer shaft wasn't the issue, and I could not get it to correlate to anything in particular in terms of pedal position, etc., but it seemed that it took more effort to sustain the cadence.  I put that off to fatigue and at 15 minutes, the effort had gotten high enough that I had to back off for a minute.  I noticed when I did the periodicity of the sound also dropped, but the volume continued to increase.  Said screw it at minute 16 and cranked it back up determined to finish the test with some modicum of composure.  I have to admit to being somewhat worried it could be metal on metal somewhere but wasn't going to stop the test that far in!

So what was it?  For this challenge I'm using my Cervelo P2 Tri bike, doing all the work in Aero to make the power results track to race day.  The rear fork of the Cervelo where the wheel mounts uses a horizontal mount as opposed to a vertical mount.  Thus, the wheel slides on to the frame directly from the rear of the bike as opposed to from below it.

Apparently the combination of the increased tire pressure and the increased in tension, coupled with what apparently was not a tight enough skewer, pushed the wheel forward in the mount.  It seems that either the tire has more rubber in one section or the wheel is slightly out of true, with the result that one section of the tire was actually rubbing up against the frame on the vertical bar beneath the seat, increasing the effort required to maintain a given cadence - and causing the grating sound.  I don't think it would have any impact on the outcome of the test if I had kept going for the entire 20 minutes, so I'm going to just go with the 195W number for this period of the challenge.  Oh, and reposition the tire while tightening the snot out of the skewer.

Man what a nightmare! on my old bike I once bumped my rear brake during the process of putting on the trainer wheel and didn't know it. I had a difficult WO and thought maybe I was getting sick or something then I noticed it when I was wiping down the bike afterward.  That's when I knew I should do the coast down all the time to make sure everything is ok! 

Personally I'd go with 202W as the test result.   Reason is phase one is mostly short interval type workouts instead of longer duration WO's and the CP will be 193w with the 202 vs 183w with the 195.  I know you can gut out the a few extra watts for 30-60 seconds!

2015-12-04 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Personally I'd go with 202W as the test result.   Reason is phase one is mostly short interval type workouts instead of longer duration WO's and the CP will be 193w with the 202 vs 183w with the 195.  I know you can gut out the a few extra watts for 30-60 seconds!

Talked me into it.  I was bummed about being sub-200, and now I have permission to get back into the green

Don - question:  Are we using CP and FTP interchangeably for setting workout levels here?  TrainerRoad uses FTP so want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Edited by TTom 2015-12-04 6:56 PM
2015-12-04 9:30 PM

Is it too late to start. Busy with work and some issues with the power meter but good to go. Trying to catch up on all the posts and feel like I am a bit lost. I would be using a power meter instead of VP. Can I hop in if I do the 5' and 20' test this weekend?Dave

2015-12-04 10:27 PM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by SHTri Is it too late to start. Busy with work and some issues with the power meter but good to go. Trying to catch up on all the posts and feel like I am a bit lost. I would be using a power meter instead of VP. Can I hop in if I do the 5' and 20' test this weekend?Dave
We're still early on here with the first round of testing still underway, it's a long program so you should be able to jump in and get caught up in no time.

2015-12-05 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Talked me into it.  I was bummed about being sub-200, and now I have permission to get back into the green

Don - question:  Are we using CP and FTP interchangeably for setting workout levels here?  TrainerRoad uses FTP so want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Yes, same but different!  MT does the same thing.  Since the workouts are base don a percentage of the "threshold" it will all work out.  Read this for a better understanding of threshold.

2015-12-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by SHTri Is it too late to start. Busy with work and some issues with the power meter but good to go. Trying to catch up on all the posts and feel like I am a bit lost. I would be using a power meter instead of VP. Can I hop in if I do the 5' and 20' test this weekend?Dave

Welcome Dave, no problem in jumping in, both tests this weekend, wow!  Make sure you add your info in the Google spreadsheet (here).

2015-12-05 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Yes, same but different!  MT does the same thing.  Since the workouts are base don a percentage of the "threshold" it will all work out.  Read this for a better understanding of threshold.

Thanks for the link, it is a really good read.  After reading discussion to get the background, this statement cropped up

"The key is that so long as you stay below Critical Power, your body is able to maintain a physiological steady state. After several minutes, oxygen use levels off, and lactate concentration levels off. In the muscles, the concentration of creatine phosphate (PCr), ATP, inorganic phosphate and hydrogen ion (i.e. pH, or how acidic it is inside the muscle) stabilizes. Once you go hard enough to cross Critical Power, bad stuff happens. In other words, let’s say your CP is 240W. If you go to 250W and hold it, the result is a major metabolic upset inside the muscles . Even though the work rate is not changing, there is still a progressive increase in the amount of oxygen used, a progressive increase in lactate concentration in the blood, and a progressive decrease in ATP, PCr and pH inside the muscle."

It really clicked with me and ties nicely with Friel's approach to 'burning matches'.  And the statement highlighted in yellow is one we can all probably relate to if we've gone out too hard on a ride and just could not keep it at that level, but just backed down a bit and it became bearable.  Being new to the power game, these understandings are invaluable, so thanks again for the link.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2015 - 2016 Pages: 1 2

Started by donw
Views: 10935 Posts: 34

2016-10-12 8:40 AM Lumber Dad

Plank a day challenge 2015 Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by ransick
Views: 23629 Posts: 211

2016-01-06 12:40 PM marysia83

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2014 - 2015 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 10604 Posts: 53

2015-03-31 8:32 PM donw

Winter Cycling Program (2012 - 2013) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by D001
Views: 15357 Posts: 61

2013-03-05 3:09 PM wheeledwidewebb

Winter Cycling Program 2012-2013?

Started by TriFlyBoy
Views: 2533 Posts: 6

2012-11-12 5:54 AM RVachon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?