BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
 
 
of 23
 
 
2016-06-23 10:26 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Regular
1553
10005002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Yes, I am in a "couch to..." phase because I went all the way back to the couch and gained the weight back. I've tried the plan you suggested, and i am just unable to get out 5-6 days a week to run... yes, even for 5mins a pop. Honestly, getting everything on just to run around the block once drove me crazy. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work because other than using the HRM to limit the intensity, this is what worked before.


Your plan will work. I don't doubt that at all. It worked for you before so it will again.

But you still have a lot of low hanging fruit to get, I really don't see any need for you to over complicate things. If wearing a HRM helps motivate you, then do it. But you don't need it, and to be honest I doubt you'd get much if any benefit. Not at this stage of your athletic development.

You're going to make tons of improvements just by getting out the door and running. It doesn't have to be 6 days a week, so long as its more than before you'll make improvements. Keep it simple, and have fun.


2016-06-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi Rick, First thing: To improve your run you need to do 2 things. 1. Weigh less. 2. Run more. It's really that simple. HRM or not is the icing, not the cake. Just get out and do it. For your questions specifically, I've trained with and without a HRM. And had success and failures with both. When used correctly a HRM can be a valuable tool to help you train. But only if used correctly. This means finding out accurate zones. This site has a page on it that describes a field test you can use to find accurate training zones (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633). Essentially its doing a 30 minute flat out time trial, your average heart rate for the final 20 minutes is your lactate threshold (LT), which is a much more important number than your supposed 'max' heart rate. Dont use 220 - your age to find heart rate zones. The odds are that it wont be right. Once you've found your LT you can use your HRM to stay in an aerobic zone for the majority of your training. Or, using RPE you can do the same. The page i linked to describes what you should be experiencing in the various zones. Specifically, for most of your run training you should be in the upper zone 2 "Working but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences " To be honest with you, at your current state of training, I wouldn't worry about HRM. Just run. Monitor your effort level using RPE and make sure you are pushing, but not too hard. There is no need to add complications. Also, the page I linked to says:
The 'Couch-to-Sprint' plan has no HR training or LT testing as of the above warnings. If you are new to endurance type training, DO NOT perform these LT field tests until you are well into a plan.
Although you're not new to endurance training, it does sound like you're in a couch to XXX sort of phase. I would recommend keeping it simple, and ditching the HRM for now.

Oohhh. I beg to differ. If you are seeing positive results, keep with the HRM. I do agree that you need to do a LT test and find YOUR zones, not the mathematically derived ones.

2016-06-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Well... week summary. I did get 2 bikes in (one was a fairly leisurely MTB ride on my birthday in 95 degree heat) and 2 run(ish)s in. but only one swim and I am up 3 pounds this week!!! OMG! I haven't changed my eating at all so I have no idea what this is all about except that I had better do better.

How did everyone else do?

2016-06-26 6:04 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image


309
100100100
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hi All,

Not much to report this week. The cold weather here has made the arthritis in my knee flare up again. No exercise or weight loss this week.

I do want to share a message I received from a wonderful lady who has just completed her first Iron man while overcoming some horrific burns. She writes

"What I’m learning time and time again is that success is really all about consistency. When it comes to training, it's not about flogging yourself. The 'no pain, no gain' philosophy doesn’t work for the long game. But showing up everyday and taking small consistent steps towards the goal does work.

It's the same with so many of the goals that we set for ourselves. Whether we want to lose weight, run a marathon, finish a University degree, get out of debt or build a new business ... it all comes down to consistency."

I thought that this was a simple but effective message, particularly about turning up every day.

Enjoy the week ahead....................and turn up every day
2016-06-26 8:29 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hi All, Not much to report this week. The cold weather here has made the arthritis in my knee flare up again. No exercise or weight loss this week. I do want to share a message I received from a wonderful lady who has just completed her first Iron man while overcoming some horrific burns. She writes "What I’m learning time and time again is that success is really all about consistency. When it comes to training, it's not about flogging yourself. The 'no pain, no gain' philosophy doesn’t work for the long game. But showing up everyday and taking small consistent steps towards the goal does work. It's the same with so many of the goals that we set for ourselves. Whether we want to lose weight, run a marathon, finish a University degree, get out of debt or build a new business ... it all comes down to consistency." I thought that this was a simple but effective message, particularly about turning up every day. Enjoy the week ahead....................and turn up every day

That is a good message. Show up, do the work = long term pay off. Maybe a tattoo on my forehead

2016-06-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image


199
100252525
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
This weekend I ran the San Bernardino Rotary Tinman and sprint reverse triathlon.

I am so please with my results. I was about 10 minutes faster than my last time to race this one. I was able to gain on both the bike and the run. My Spilts
Run 33:56
Transition 2:24
Bike 32.41
Transtition 1:48
Swim 2:45 Includes running from transition to pool and pool to finish about 100 yards.
Total: 1:13:56
Officially the race website says I finished in 1:04:53 But this has to be an error. My friends weer timing me and came up with a similar time as I did. I did not effect my place in my age group but effected my place in Males and Overall.
That being said from the website
1:04:53
Overall 56/213
Males 50/148
M 40-44 8/13

He is my garmin data: I forgot to hit my transition button on my second transition so i manually adjusted it for here.

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/1230133344' title='San Bernardino Multi-Sport' width='465' height='598' frameborder='0'>


My only assumption is that everyone had a similar error, it is like they did not start the clock at the start. I have not heard.

I had a great race as I think I said. Was fast on the run and felt great on the bike. 33:56 is one minute from my fastest 5k. And I felt like I could have pushed it harder. I am improving on my speed running, and getting stronger on the bike. I feel like I could tweak my swimming a little, but not sure how much faster I can be on these small ones. I am working out more in the pool at longer distances.

My plan right now is to tackle an open water Olympic Triathlon in September in Malibu.

I have no more races till September, and will be focusing on improving my speed and endurance in all three categories. Right now I have been getting six days a week in the gym/pool/ride/run. I has been working but I feel like I need one more day of break. I lost a bet with my girlfriend so I am working out six days a week to finish the bet. My plan is to go to a ten day cycle of working out or basically a 4 day with a rest day in between.

I love these sprint tris they are fun, but it is now time to challenge myself a little more.

John



2016-06-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by johndiaz00 This weekend I ran the San Bernardino Rotary Tinman and sprint reverse triathlon. I am so please with my results. I was about 10 minutes faster than my last time to race this one. I was able to gain on both the bike and the run. My Spilts Run 33:56 Transition 2:24 Bike 32.41 Transtition 1:48 Swim 2:45 Includes running from transition to pool and pool to finish about 100 yards. Total: 1:13:56 Officially the race website says I finished in 1:04:53 But this has to be an error. My friends weer timing me and came up with a similar time as I did. I did not effect my place in my age group but effected my place in Males and Overall. That being said from the website 1:04:53 Overall 56/213 Males 50/148 M 40-44 8/13 He is my garmin data: I forgot to hit my transition button on my second transition so i manually adjusted it for here. <iframe title="San Bernardino Multi-Sport" src="https://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/1230133344" width="465" height="598" frameborder="0"> My only assumption is that everyone had a similar error, it is like they did not start the clock at the start. I have not heard. I had a great race as I think I said. Was fast on the run and felt great on the bike. 33:56 is one minute from my fastest 5k. And I felt like I could have pushed it harder. I am improving on my speed running, and getting stronger on the bike. I feel like I could tweak my swimming a little, but not sure how much faster I can be on these small ones. I am working out more in the pool at longer distances. My plan right now is to tackle an open water Olympic Triathlon in September in Malibu. I have no more races till September, and will be focusing on improving my speed and endurance in all three categories. Right now I have been getting six days a week in the gym/pool/ride/run. I has been working but I feel like I need one more day of break. I lost a bet with my girlfriend so I am working out six days a week to finish the bet. My plan is to go to a ten day cycle of working out or basically a 4 day with a rest day in between. I love these sprint tris they are fun, but it is now time to challenge myself a little more. John

Great work! You have plenty of time to get ready for that Olympic distance! 

2016-06-29 4:17 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Regular
1553
10005002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by johndiaz00

This weekend I ran the San Bernardino Rotary Tinman and sprint reverse triathlon.

I am so please with my results. I was about 10 minutes faster than my last time to race this one. I was able to gain on both the bike and the run. My Spilts
Run 33:56
Transition 2:24
Bike 32.41
Transtition 1:48
Swim 2:45 Includes running from transition to pool and pool to finish about 100 yards.
Total: 1:13:56
Officially the race website says I finished in 1:04:53 But this has to be an error. My friends weer timing me and came up with a similar time as I did. I did not effect my place in my age group but effected my place in Males and Overall.
That being said from the website
1:04:53
Overall 56/213
Males 50/148
M 40-44 8/13

He is my garmin data: I forgot to hit my transition button on my second transition so i manually adjusted it for here.

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/1230133344' title='San Bernardino Multi-Sport' width='465' height='598' frameborder='0'>


My only assumption is that everyone had a similar error, it is like they did not start the clock at the start. I have not heard.

I had a great race as I think I said. Was fast on the run and felt great on the bike. 33:56 is one minute from my fastest 5k. And I felt like I could have pushed it harder. I am improving on my speed running, and getting stronger on the bike. I feel like I could tweak my swimming a little, but not sure how much faster I can be on these small ones. I am working out more in the pool at longer distances.

My plan right now is to tackle an open water Olympic Triathlon in September in Malibu.

I have no more races till September, and will be focusing on improving my speed and endurance in all three categories. Right now I have been getting six days a week in the gym/pool/ride/run. I has been working but I feel like I need one more day of break. I lost a bet with my girlfriend so I am working out six days a week to finish the bet. My plan is to go to a ten day cycle of working out or basically a 4 day with a rest day in between.

I love these sprint tris they are fun, but it is now time to challenge myself a little more.

John




Congratulations on your race! And good luck preparing for an Olympic distance.

Don't forget tho, you don't have to go longer to challenge yourself more... trying to take 10 minutes off your sprint time is a big challenge too
2016-07-01 3:12 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Hey all. Hope you all are doing well. I am heading into a full holiday weekend here. House guests, then folks coming over to watch fireworks from our porch. Then leaving the next day to go camping for a week. (actually glamping). I hope to be able to run the Bear race. It goes to the top of Grandfather mountain. 5 miles constant uphill with an elevation change of 2000 ft or so. I did it last year and was only second to last Hopefully I will be better this year, but I am not pinning ay hopes on it. I will be happy if I finish before the cut off. or finish at all.

2016-07-02 9:58 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image


309
100100100
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. Hope you all are doing well. I am heading into a full holiday weekend here. House guests, then folks coming over to watch fireworks from our porch. Then leaving the next day to go camping for a week. (actually glamping). I hope to be able to run the Bear race. It goes to the top of Grandfather mountain. 5 miles constant uphill with an elevation change of 2000 ft or so. I did it last year and was only second to last Hopefully I will be better this year, but I am not pinning ay hopes on it. I will be happy if I finish before the cut off. or finish at all.




Good Luck in the Bear race, sounds like a tough challenge. It will be an achievement to finish for sure.
2016-07-02 10:05 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image


309
100100100
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hi All

Can you believe it's July already?

At the start of the year I prepared my 12 month plan with 4 x 3 month phases. In reviewing the second phase I didn't achieve my goals but I didn't go backwards in fitness or weight. I'm not going to dwell on the excuses / reasons I didn't train as needed but learn from the experience so I don't repeat them.

I've revised my 3rd phase accordingly and looking forward to competing in some 5 KM races and regularly training with more intensity.

Hope you're all well and to those in USA have a great 4th July.



2016-07-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image


199
100252525
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
7/7 is already here. It is a day that I think of that half the year has definitely gone by. When I was younger, older folks would always comment how quickly the years would go by. Darn it, they were right. Recently, I have had a lot going on and nothing going on at the same time. I am tremendously busy outside of work, but work has become easy and just have to do what I do. Then I get home and have 4 projects going, a ride,run or swim to do, and so one and so forth. Then fun part is I really would not change a thing right now, I am truly enjoying it.

The first 6 months has been kind of a re-birth of myself. I have lost 14 pound (although I am in a bad plateau though in losing anymore. I am staying positive because everything else is moving higher. I am lifting more, I am running faster, I am swimming better, and I am definitely riding a lot better. The next six months is looking good. I am planning on a few races in the fall months, One Olympic distance tri, a sprint tri, and then at least two 1/2 marathons. I will be pacing a much slower running for one of the 1/2s.

I am looking forward to the rest of the year. (especially next month when I get to go to Hawaii).



J







2016-07-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image


309
100100100
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by johndiaz00

7/7 is already here. It is a day that I think of that half the year has definitely gone by. When I was younger, older folks would always comment how quickly the years would go by. Darn it, they were right. Recently, I have had a lot going on and nothing going on at the same time. I am tremendously busy outside of work, but work has become easy and just have to do what I do. Then I get home and have 4 projects going, a ride,run or swim to do, and so one and so forth. Then fun part is I really would not change a thing right now, I am truly enjoying it.

The first 6 months has been kind of a re-birth of myself. I have lost 14 pound (although I am in a bad plateau though in losing anymore. I am staying positive because everything else is moving higher. I am lifting more, I am running faster, I am swimming better, and I am definitely riding a lot better. The next six months is looking good. I am planning on a few races in the fall months, One Olympic distance tri, a sprint tri, and then at least two 1/2 marathons. I will be pacing a much slower running for one of the 1/2s.

I am looking forward to the rest of the year. (especially next month when I get to go to Hawaii).



J




Congratulations on your achievements to date. Looks like you have a very active remainder of the year.
2016-07-10 12:09 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image


788
500100100252525
Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Congrats on the Improvements John!

Just a quick (for me) blurb to let y'all know I am still alive and kickin'!

It's one week to my one planned event for the year, and I have the usual "I'm really not ready for this's" going through my head. Looking back at my freshly updated log... I'm probably right this time. I have run into one minor, possibly major, issue: My right rotator cuff is possibly toast. I've been having issues for the past 3-4 weeks and they're getting steadily worse. The one thing in my mind right how is that I flat refuse to back out of this event. I swam 600yd on Fri just to make sure I can handle the distance.

If y'all look up the Mighty Mite Tri, you'll see that it starts in a lake and that means kryptonite... err hills . Thankfully I got my front DR issues sorted out and I can swap between the small and large rings at will. I drove to the location on Friday both to find it, and to drive the bike course. It is a bunch of rollers like Riverbluff is, but not near as symmetrical in their placement... In other words, typical hilly country which I don't have. Thankfully, it appears as though the bike course will be a net loss in altitude, but, overall it's pretty darn technical.

the goal next week is to finish. It's my first time on this course, the country is beautiful and I plan on enjoying it!
2016-07-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image


199
100252525
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Good luck and do well. Hope the shoulder holds up. Sounds like a fun one though.

J
2016-07-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5158491

User image

Extreme Veteran
1148
100010025
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hey, I'm still here, lurking. Wearing a cardiac monitor for a few days and wearing some kind of sleep monitor for a night or two. Walking a mile wears me out right now.

Looking forward to hearing about Robin's Bear and Rick's Mighty Mite. Best of luck to both of you.


2016-07-12 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5190538

User image


788
500100100252525
Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Keeping you in my prayers..
2016-07-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Congrats on the Improvements John! Just a quick (for me) blurb to let y'all know I am still alive and kickin'! It's one week to my one planned event for the year, and I have the usual "I'm really not ready for this's" going through my head. Looking back at my freshly updated log... I'm probably right this time. I have run into one minor, possibly major, issue: My right rotator cuff is possibly toast. I've been having issues for the past 3-4 weeks and they're getting steadily worse. The one thing in my mind right how is that I flat refuse to back out of this event. I swam 600yd on Fri just to make sure I can handle the distance. If y'all look up the Mighty Mite Tri, you'll see that it starts in a lake and that means kryptonite... err hills . Thankfully I got my front DR issues sorted out and I can swap between the small and large rings at will. I drove to the location on Friday both to find it, and to drive the bike course. It is a bunch of rollers like Riverbluff is, but not near as symmetrical in their placement... In other words, typical hilly country which I don't have. Thankfully, it appears as though the bike course will be a net loss in altitude, but, overall it's pretty darn technical. the goal next week is to finish. It's my first time on this course, the country is beautiful and I plan on enjoying it!

Kick tomorrow and remember, those hills have a down hill, too!

2016-07-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Hey, I'm still here, lurking. Wearing a cardiac monitor for a few days and wearing some kind of sleep monitor for a night or two. Walking a mile wears me out right now. Looking forward to hearing about Robin's Bear and Rick's Mighty Mite. Best of luck to both of you.

So glad to see you here. I worried. Take care and keep posting.

2016-07-15 7:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

The Bear. Holy h--l! That was tough. 40+ extra pounds slugging up 2000 feet of elevation change with huge winds! I power walked most of it. A friend and I death-marched the last mile or so together. I may have stopped if it weren't for him. The shut off the very top due to 70+ MPH winds. It was unsafe at the top of the mountain. I was not sad. So 4.7 miles in 1:10. I may or may not attempt to do that again. (The winning male did it i 28 minutes, winner woman in 31).

2016-07-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image


199
100252525
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
70+mph winds sounds crazy, I when they are at 20 around here. Good job death marching.





2016-07-17 12:52 AM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image


309
100100100
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hi All

I've posted a few videos on the forum. To me this one is the best.

Try watching it and then come up with an excuse why you can't achieve or attempt to do something you've always wanted to do.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10153535340927330/
2016-07-17 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
14677
5000500020002000500100252525
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hi All I've posted a few videos on the forum. To me this one is the best. Try watching it and then come up with an excuse why you can't achieve or attempt to do something you've always wanted to do. https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10153535340927330/

THAT

IS

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to share to FB!



Edited by ceilidh 2016-07-17 8:56 AM
2016-07-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image


788
500100100252525
Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
I can sum up my event yesterday in 2 words: I survived.

I've logged everything and filed a basic report, so I guess now is the time for the story Before I get started, I am fully aware that my lack of training as well as lack of overall fitness were the #1 reason yesterday ended up as bad as it did. There were a couple of extra wrenches thrown into the works, but only because I think that Mr Murphy gets off on stuff like that :p

I got up with no issues, got everything together that I needed that morning, grabbed a bite to eat, water, etc and took off for Forrest City 35-40mins away. I got to T2 and dropped my shoes, number and Gu before it officially opened, but they were okay with that. Jumped back in the van and took off for T1. When I got there, I found out we were parking about 3/4mi away and had to hike in... uphill I might add. I got everything set up in an out of the way location (i stay out of the way of those actually competing) and that's when Mr Murphy's "Nothing New" rule kicked me in the gut. I've used Skratch before, but not the flavor I grabbed: Mango. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm pretty sure that if I had filled up in the port-o-let it would have tasted better. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have dumped it for some of of the plain water at T1, or even rode back down to the van and filled it from my water bottle there. I did a lot of pacing and worrying... and that just doesn't set a good tone for the day.

Swim- 587yds, 17:18.48 (3:13/100 pace). This is a full :45/100 under my normal swim times. I dove in, and got water in my goggles... hard to fix that treading water. Then I took off for the first buoy. I can honestly say my tracking was spot-on for the duration. However, about 200yd in, my shoulder started screaming at me. I pushed through it by rotating a full 90 degrees when my right arm came out of the water so I wouldn't have to use the full range of motion. I also had breathing issues. This is something new. My chest got tight and any breath just didnt... work... for lack of a better word. I'd sidestroke for :10-:15 and get back to it. About halfway between the 2nd buoy and the exit, my cap popped off my head. I grabbed it right quick and stuffed it in my shorts. Didn't need a penalty for lost gear. I was definitely feeling it when I got out of the water and trudged uphill to T1.

T1- 3:00.48. Slow. I noticed that I forgot a towel. Getting a shirt on a wet torso with one arm, and socks on wet feet is a ton of fun... and time consuming. Walked to the mount, missed clipping in twice and finally took off.

Bike- 58:06.63 (13.42mph avg) I am upset at this number, but at the same time, I'm not. I knew I was going to be slow, and I knew the hills were going to kill me. I was just delusional as to how bad. Where I live, I have to travel at least 30mins before I find any sort of hills, but I figured that since I finally had my FDR sorted out, I'd be okayish... yeah-no. There were 4 big climbs (for me) on this route. The first was the worst (steepest and longest). it came right after a 90 degree turn. I was in my lowest gear "walking" the bike up the hill. I never got out of the pedals, but after every downward stroke, I'd stop for just a sec to get on top of the other pedal. I had to take my sunglasses off because I fogged them up. The 2nd and 3rd hills were right after downgrades where I could build some speed, but the last was after a flat and around a curve... didn't see it coming (ugh!!). I only took in about 25% of my water. I did down a Gu at Mile 1 and 10. I only passed 1 rider the entire time, and she ended up dropping. I got passed a lot.

T2- 2:01.38. Slow. I sat... well, fell... on the curb to get my shoes on, and realized that they were still tied (d'oh!). I also had trouble getting my number belt on as I was starting to shake a bit. Grabbed a gatorade and water at the aid station on the way out.

Run... well, Walk- 55:55.83 (18:38/mi). If I died on the bike, then this was just a whole new level of Hell. I could live with the bad swim and even the not so good bike, but this part just crushed my soul. My legs were so far gone and my heart was beating so hard... I just had to put my head down and push forward at a walk. There are points of this leg that I just honestly do not remember. I just remember concentrating on following the white line. Also, I must have eaten my last Gu somewhere in there because I had a empty packet in my hand at the aid station. I remember getting hit with cold water (thank you Forrest City resident that had their hose out) just before the aid station at mile 2. Apparently, there was also one at mile 1 that I just completely went by. I downed another gatorade and water and trudged on. The last little bit is going around the block where all the finishers were. I know they were only trying to encourage me, but I'm ashamed to admit that their encouragement only added to how bad the event was going. I actually hated hearing my name being announced when I crossed the line. Just another ******* fat guy taking up space...

Don't get me wrong. After a night's sleep, I am feeling much better about the whole situation. I'm trying to figure out a way to train for hills on my trainer and next year is going to be a different story. If I have to find a silver(ish) lining in all this, it shouldn't be hard to PR this next year, lol!!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2016-07-17 5:14 PM
2016-07-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5158491

User image


788
500100100252525
Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Can't edit. My swim was :45/100 over my normal speed.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
 
 
of 23
 
 
RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41969 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55037 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2138 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8825 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss
 
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?