General Discussion Race Reports! » USATF National Club Cross Country Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USATF National Club Cross Country Championships - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, Califormia
United States
USATF
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 24s
Overall Rank = 224/252
Age Group = 65-69F
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in San Francisco Thursday afternoon, so I headed out from the hotel Friday morning to jog the course. I met a woman who appeared to be around my age, so we jogged it together. Although I could clearly see I was slowing her down and offered that she should just run ahead, we stayed together. It was pretty informal--I was jogging with my backpack on, since I had come over on the bus & had plans afterward. Mostly we were just familiarizing ourselves with the course & making conversation. She was an unattached runner from Houston, only been running about 10 years. Afterwards we took the bus together to the beach, then parted company to follow our own plans for the day.
I didn't know until later that she is a SUPERSTAR, holding the W60 world record for both the 800m & 1500m, and much more. She not only killed our AG, but was 2nd in the whole race in age-graded results.
On race morning, I got up at 5:30 and tried not to wake my teammates as I huddled in the bathroom eating my breakfast of oatmeal, yogurt, & raisins. Then I slipped out the door to get some coffee, my race-day treat since I normally abstain. At 7:00 my team rode over to the park on the bus, with plenty of time for my warm-up.
Event warmup:

Did 10 minutes of dynamic stretching, then ran a total of 17 minutes, including 4 x 30-second accelerations. Ate a Hammer caffeinated gel.
Run
  • 33m 24s
  • 3.74 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was just perfect, and it was really exciting to be a part of a group of 250+ masters women toeing the start in iconic Golden Gate Park. Our club representation was small, only 3 women, but we had good team spirit and enjoyed deepening our friendship. We had to form a 50-59 team, because that was the age of our youngest; but at least we had a team!
I had my Garmin set to NOT display HR because I have been having better results this fall just running by RPE. I always wonder, just before the starting horn, "Do I remember how to do this, to run fast, to pace myself correctly?" It does seem so mysterious, to just tell my body what I want it to do; and then it knows how! Our bodies have so much intelligence.
My race plan was the same as it always is at this 6k distance: go out fast, then progressively go harder and harder and harder. Really push the last kilometer and then bust a gut the last 200 meters. Although I wasn't displaying any of that data on my watch, it was being recorded; when I looked later at the HR progression, that is pretty much what I achieved.
This race was made more interesting in that the 2 runners immediately in front of me wore the same age group tag as me. I knew I wasn't catching the first one, but the one right in front was close. We played back-and-forth, with me overtaking her on the flats & especially the downhills, but her overtaking me on the uphills. This caused me to push mysellf harder throughout, because I was really determined not to lose her. We topped the last hill with her ahead, about 3/4 mile of flat track before the finish. I didn't know how I'd have the reserve to accelerate, but my Normalized Pace according to TrainingPeaks was my fastest in the race, so I guess I did. I didn't catch her-- she beat me by 3 seconds--but I took 42 seconds off my previous best at the XC Nationals in 2014 and am quite satisfied with how I raced.
What would you do differently?:

I might take a page from running superstar Paula Radcliffe's memoir, which I'm reading now. When she was in a competitive situation like that, she'd expend the extra energy when she passed her rival to put enough distance between them so that the other runner was too disheartened to catch up. I could've tried that on the downhills and hoped it wouldn't wipe me out later. If there's a next time...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, with some jogging, about half a mile from the finish back to the start to get my bag, and then back to the finish. Had some Recoverite and 1/2 Recovery Bar, a bottle of water, and then part of a burrito. Didn't stretch until evening at the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I performed up to my ability and training level on that particular day.

Event comments:

I really love cross-country and this was a fantastic race. Because the terrain & surfaces are more challenging than in road races, the running is more difficult; yet unlike trail races, x-c is short enough that you have to put out hard from beginning to end. For these reasons, and because the level of competition is mostly very high, it has been for me an excellent discipline for improving my running speed and racing ability in general. Also, the team aspect is lots of fun for a triathlete like me who mostly trains solo.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-12-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:24 | 03.74 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 224/252
Performance: Good
1st km: avg HR 143; avg pace 8:11, Normalized Pace 8:30. 2nd km: avg HR 148; avg pace 8:48, Normalized Pace 8:28. 3rd km: avg HR 151; avg pace 9:00, Normalized Pace 9:01. 4th km: avg HR 153; avg pace 8:18, Normalized Pace 9:09. 5th km: avg HR 153; avg pace 10:20, Normalized Pace 9:50. 6th km: avg HR 155; avg pace 8:27, Normalized Pace 8:06.
Course: Course was in Golden Gate Park, a mixture of grass, woods, and a packed dirt track. Pretty flat, compared with what we're used to in upstate NY, with only one hill, long & gentle and then short & steep. I thought it was a fast course, although parts were pretty wet from rain the previous day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-01-03 7:06 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: USATF National Club Cross Country Championships
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USATF National Club Cross Country Championships Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USATF National Club Cross Country Championships

Started by MarioJW
Views: 1167 Posts: 1

2014-12-24 2:57 PM MarioJW

USATF National Club Cross Country Championships

Started by ok2try
Views: 1302 Posts: 7

2014-12-17 6:28 AM juneapple

USATF Cross Country Club Nationals

Started by goran007
Views: 862 Posts: 1