Friends of the Ida Track
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 11m 3s
Overall Rank = 7/
Age Group = Over 30
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

OK so this race is not for the weak of heart. You have to run a mile as fast you can and then eat a pint of ice cream. Winner is determined by the fastest combined time.
Event warmup:

Skipped lunch (we would be eating a pint of ice cream after all) and then walked up to race venu. Walked one lap of the course and then sat around sizing up the competition.
Run
  • 08m
  • 1 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

So the competition was mostly composed of guys and gals from the area high schools' track and cross country teams (this was a fundraiser to get Ida a new track). Knew I didn't stand a chance of beating these young studs so I decided I would just pace Brandy (my wife). Her goal was to run an 8:30 mile. Took the fist lap out at 3:40 (ooops) the second at 4:20. This gave us an 8min mile which shattered her goal.

After the mile, they handed us a pint of cookies and cream ice cream (my favorite). Here's where I knew I could shine. I had two advantages over the competition: 1) I'm a mutli-sport athlete so I am used to doing sports back to back and 2) I'm not some skinny 150lb runner--it takes a lot of calories to fuel this 210lb triathlete, so I'm used to eating.

I saw the look of fear (maybe it was amazement or disgust) in their eyes as I tore into my ice cream. Right off the bat I pulled ahead of three of them. Half way through my carton I had picked off four more. One tried to kick it in to gear, but got a "brain freeze" as his award--amature. Another shoveled too much in and couldn't swallow--have to pace yourself pal. Another guy dropped some of his ice cream--immediate disqualification. By the time it was all said and done I had moved from almost dead last into seventh place.

What would you do differently?:

Probably should have skipped breakfast too, I don't want to know how many calories were in that ice cream.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? I wanted to warm back up. I ate a pint of ice cream in 3 minutes, I was freezing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cool day. If it was just a little warmer, the ice cream might have been a little softer and I could have shaved a few precious seconds off my time.

Event comments:

Obviously this race was just for fun. Our high school track teams can't have home meets becuase the track is still cinder (league rules prohibit running on cinder tracks--too dangerous). This was the kick off fundraiser for the new track. They do have some more serious events planned for the future; hopefully not too serious though.

Last updated: 2006-09-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:00 | 01 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 2 lap course around our town's park. Perfectly flat, all on grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-02 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Ice Cream Mile

2006-09-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #529565

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
Subject: RE: Ice Cream Mile

Great job showin them youngsters!!!! Hey if they raise enough money you will have a nice new track to do your track workouts on next year!

Great report!!!!!!

2006-09-03 10:30 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Okay so you didn't run a 5 minute mile. It sounds like you may have had the quickest 2nd leg!!!
2006-09-03 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

its a good thing it wasn't a du.  running again afer doing that would not have been pretty.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

2006-09-03 11:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
great RR!  That sounds like a blast!  Thanks for sharing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ice Cream Mile Rss Feed