Croatia
PK Novi Zagreb
Sunny
Total Time = 43m
Overall Rank = 42/42
Age Group = F over 30
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was so anxious, had to persuade myself to go at all. If I could postpone it anyhow, I would. But I knew I couldn't look myself in eyes if I did, so it was not an option.
Ate salt sticks only, it was too early for my breakfast. Ate lots of pasta day before. This was so big day for me, it was my first race. I wanted and feared and cherished and dreamed it for 2 years.
So there I was, in front of small table, filling up the form, getting marked. There was noone familiar. Wait! There's a coach from my pool, the same one I told I want to swim 1500 under 40min half a year ago. (I could swim only 200m non-stop then.) I appoached him, told him: "Hello. Here I am." and covered my face with my hands.
Undressed. Wet green grass under my bare foot. So nice! Tried to start a conversation but noone wanted to. Each team hold to themselves. So different than running folks! Everyone commented the water is cold. For me it was perfect. I went in as usual, up to waist, waited little until my legs felt warm, and hopped in. (Before I started training, that was the whole ritual for me, lasting half an hour - I briefly remembered it, smiling.)
Event warmup:

Swum a little in circles like I saw everyone does (not a real worm-up, I admit). I felt strong.
Swim
  • 43m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were all lined up so I didn't need to wory about being swum over. (This is my familiar lake where I train. But I train in afternoon and this was morning.) They all went away very fast like a living wall leaving me alone. (But I stayed in my own pace all the time so I didn't burn out.) After a 50m I realised there is an old man behind that wall, too, in front of me, and was so happy for it. (I had some dreams of catching him later but it stayed a dream.) I couldn't swim non-stop I did a bit breaststroke several times - didn't want to force too much too soon. After some time I saw people swimming back, with a boat ahead of first swimmer.) I had plenty of time to think about my doubts and how false they were. Here I am, swimming in the middle of the lake, and when I started my sports adventure, I could barely do 7 strokes together. Those 750m looked so long, but I remeber when 50m looked long, so I hope 750m will become as easy. Last summer 750m was all I could do, and it was in the pool, and it took me 40min! And look at me now, swimming 1500. I felt great, this was my great victory over my fears.
Finaly I could see a buoy. But it was to hard to reach it - becouse it was so huge it looked nearer than it was! (It was so kind of them to put it, for us people swimming without glasses. It was the biggest buoy I ever saw.) After I passed it, I expected the surge of strenght I usually feel at that time, and struggled. Expected and struggled. Expected and struggled. (The old man was far far away. Still, I could see him.) The boat with the huge yellow buoy was floating behind me. Than it was at my side. I realised that my surge of strength is not going to happen and I decided to push harder anyway. Man, it was hard! My hart was beating hard, it was hard to breathe (I was surprised of how it was hard but secretly hoped it is PB on horizont.) As finish was nearer (some 300m) i pushed harder, I was glad I practiced swimming straight and sightseing. I was proud that I learned all that from you, dear BT people, and applied it all on my own. I was glad having a boat at my side, not being alone like all the time. It was so comforting and touching. Although I knew I won't need it. So I pushed harder and harder with my swimming form as it is, and it was over. People standing at finish told me 43min - it was incredible news, 7 min better then I expected. So I didn't embarassed myself so much! (Cutout time was 40.)

What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't doubt it is possible at all to reach my goal, as I did. Therefore I would be more enthusiastic about my training.
I would definitly stick to the rope since it is already there.
I would focus better on my form.
Post race
Warm down:

I forgot about warm-down. I was pretty exosted. I warmed myself with warm water I brought in a big bottle with me and get dressed and that was it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My form. (I'm glad I worked on my form during winter, it made this posibble. But I need to work a lot on my form, I could feel the extra drag, my legs sink too much.)
My endurance.

Event comments:

I will remember this day next time I start to doubt myself. Now I know it is possible. It is possible to make dream a goal, work on it consistently, reach it, do it!

Last updated: 2006-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 42/42
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: to buoy and back 750m each. it was a rope almost a whole distance!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 4:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Jarunska liga 6.kolo

So here is my first race ever. (I don't count 5k run as race, it was more like social occasion for me, don't have that emotional impact on me). My B-day gift to me.

Edited by sanjana 2006-09-05 4:41 AM

2006-09-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: #530677

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Jarunska liga 6.kolo
CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Open water swimming is such a demon for so many people - way to go to get out there and kick it!!
2006-09-05 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Great job, loved your report!
2006-09-05 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Great job!

So, this was an open water race? No biking or running... right? Just making sure I understood the race report.

I tell you what, that can be very intimidating! I was going to do one of those, but I saw the times from the previous year and decided against it.

Even though I'm a pretty fast swimmer in tri's... for just an open water race... I would be coming in about 20 minutes after everyone else! YEA! NUTS! They were swimming 1.5 miles in about 25 minutes... whereas I swim that in about 40 minutes.

I think it took a lot of guts and courage to get out there and do it!

Congrats!

2006-09-12 7:36 AM

User image

Elite

You have made great progress on your swimming.   The description of the living wall swimming out in front of you is so graphic.  I can really see it.   --TW

2006-09-27 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for your kind words, dear BT-es. That is so nice of you.

Now I want to adress some questions that might pop on your mind.

Run: Before this race I planned couch-to-5k plan for this automn. After this I changed my mind, now 10k doesn't look so totaly impossible.

And bike? Well, uhm. I never sat on my old, rusty thing after I crashed (although really nothing happend besides cuts and bruises). I think I will stick to stationary bike this winter. ;-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jarunska liga 6.kolo Rss Feed