General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing flats question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-02 9:52 AM

Subject: Changing flats question
Hi all,
I understand how to change a flat on a road bike, but have run into an issue and I am hoping someone out there has some advice.

The last 2 flats I have changed, when I put the tire back on the bike, it rubs against the brakes. I usually tighten the nut first, and then close the quick release. Is this correct? It seems like I have to loosen, then tighten, and fiddle with it about 4-5 times until I get it to the point where it is smack in the middle and not rubbing against a brake. Is this normal?

There must be a method to use so that it can seat itself right the first time. I always make sure it is seated correctly in the drop outs, but maybe how I tighten it up is the problem.

Thanks!

2016-05-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Subject: RE: Changing flats question
If its happening on the rear wheel of a bike with horizontal drop outs (usually found on single speed and tri bikes) you could not be getting the wheel square into the dropouts. Practice helps as does going slow and making sure you get things lined up well.
2016-05-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

This is happening on the rear. The drop outs are at a slight angle. Do you tighten the nut first usually, and then finish by closing the quick release, or does this not really matter?
2016-05-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Typically I'll put the wheel in with the nuts loose, then I'll roll it back and forth on the ground a few times to make sure its centered, and then I'll try to make sure that I put even pressure leaning on the seat to tighten the QR. It was annoying at first, but I use a separate training wheel so now its easy. This doesn't require a flat to practice so just take your wheel on and off a few times when you get a chance to practice it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing flats question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to change a flat back tire?

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 1482 Posts: 6

2008-03-15 2:30 PM billsfan200474

Free advice for those that fear changing their flat tires

Started by Spokes
Views: 1371 Posts: 13

2007-07-14 3:08 PM JoshKaptur

Tubular Question - How to change flat in race?

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 535 Posts: 2

2006-11-13 8:30 AM run4yrlif

Changing flats....

Started by joerigg
Views: 801 Posts: 8

2006-10-04 4:45 PM mjz115

Changing a Flat - Lessons Learned!

Started by lizard
Views: 1059 Posts: 12

2005-05-26 9:55 AM greytkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.